Izzo to Cleavland

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Izzo to Cleavland

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I hadnt heard this until last night but on sunday I was eluding to the fact LeBron should ahve went and played for Izzo

from the second page of the Kobe Bryant Topic
posted on sunday the 6th

"he should have took the Hummer they gave him when he was 15 (before he even had a license) took the $$$$ and saved it for spending $$$ at college....then he should have went to Michigan ST....just to stuff off the OHIO residents...played for Izzo a couple of years and learn its not about him...."

Crazy!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Izzo to Cleavland

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 pm

crazy that the Cleveland owner is a MSU grad...and a close friend of Izzo's
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:49 pm

winner-within wrote:"he should have took the Hummer they gave him when he was 15 (before he even had a license) took the $$$$ and saved it for spending $$$ at college....then he should have went to Michigan ST....just to stuff off the OHIO residents...played for Izzo a couple of years and learn its not about him...."

That is false.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Most analysts don't think Izzo will accept. He publicly said awhile back that he doesn't want to try for the NBA until he wins another championship in college. I don't think he would be a very good NBA coach. He is not a Calipari or someone who coaches stars. He hasn't even ever had a collegiate star at Michigan State. Jason Richardson and Zack Randolph are probably his two biggest stars from there. He is just a coach who takes pretty good to average talent and gets the most out of them.

And by the way, can anyone remember the last time a succesful college coach made the jump to the NBA and wasn't a failure, cause I can't.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Larry Brown? probably your best bet.

As far as not having collegiate stars..i disagree.
Mateen Cleeves
Paul Davis
Maurice Ager
Shannon Brown
just to name a few

I think he's alot like Bill Self in his aspect of recruiting. He's able to bring in big name kids out of high school, but they dont put up off the wall numbers because they buy into a team philosophy. I bet if you look back at MSU over the last decade they probably havent had anyone average over 18 ppg.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Jason Richardson anyone?
Mo P?
Zach Randolph was a darn good college player.

I dont know if I'd start calling out Tom Izzo, dude is a flat out winner who plays a tough schedule every year, he's had quite a few successful players come through.

If the choice is between Mike Brown and Tom Izzo it's Tommy in a land slide.

I dont know about you guys, but I'm waiting to see what Calapari can do in the long run in a traditional multiple bid league before I say he's one of the best.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:25 am

The thing that concerns me about Izzo and Cleveland is that apparently Chicago made an offer to him and he made no mention of it to his team. Then cleveland shows interest and he calls a meeting. I'm using Bzdelik leaving Colorado as an example, but usually when a coach calls a meeting it doesnt end well for fans of that school.

I'm hesitant to put Calipari towards the top of coaching list are because of 2 reasons:
1995–96 Massachusetts 31–1 * 15–1 1st NCAA Final Four (vacated)
2007–08 Memphis 38–2 ** 16–0 ** 1st NCAA Runner-up (vacated)

plus multiple other shaddy recruiting stories....hiring Dajuan Wagners dad as a coach, Derrick Rose's brother, hiring Tyreke Evens' personal coach, Robert Doziers questionable decision to dump Georgia for Memphis, Eric Bledsoe not passing high school, calling Terrence Jones minutes after he commits to Washington then later decommits and signs with Kentucky...guy leaves a slime trail every recruiting trip he makes.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 am

O i wasn't trying to call out Izzo. He is no doubt one of the best college coaches in the game. But thats where he belongs.

I should have clarified what I meant by collegiate stars. What i really meant were the super talented one-and-dones. Wall, Bledsoe, Rose, Mayo, etc.

Still can't think of a successful college coach to succeed in the NBA even fairly recently.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:43 am

Indy5 wrote:Still can't think of a successful college coach to succeed in the NBA even fairly recently.

Of course his college title was over 20 years ago...but Larry Brown as won a title at both levels. Only person to ever do so.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:32 am

baseball wrote:The thing that concerns me about Izzo and Cleveland is that apparently Chicago made an offer to him and he made no mention of it to his team. Then cleveland shows interest and he calls a meeting. I'm using Bzdelik leaving Colorado as an example, but usually when a coach calls a meeting it doesnt end well for fans of that school.

I'm hesitant to put Calipari towards the top of coaching list are because of 2 reasons:

plus multiple other shaddy recruiting stories....hiring Dajuan Wagners dad as a coach, Derrick Rose's brother, hiring Tyreke Evens' personal coach, Robert Doziers questionable decision to dump Georgia for Memphis, Eric Bledsoe not passing high school, calling Terrence Jones minutes after he commits to Washington then later decommits and signs with Kentucky...guy leaves a slime trail every recruiting trip he makes.

I could be wrong, but didn't Kansas hire Chalmers dad as Director of Basketball Operations? :)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 am

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:"he should have took the Hummer they gave him when he was 15 (before he even had a license) took the $$$$ and saved it for spending $$$ at college....then he should have went to Michigan ST....just to stuff off the OHIO residents...played for Izzo a couple of years and learn its not about him...."

That is false.

Ok 16
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:44 am

baseball wrote:crazy that the Cleveland owner is a MSU grad...and a close friend of Izzo's

interesting...but you still have to be good...and Izzo with his hands on LeBron at 18 would have been a better scenario for LeBron.....
Izzo will negate and stay at MSU, he has most of the same roster and has a shot at the title....Lebron will jet out to NY or Chicago or Miami...and Byron Scott will end up in Cleavland...Lebron will win a ring or two before he is 30 and then will return to Cleavland and finish career and win a couple or 3 more there. HUH! dontcha think ??
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:56 pm

The Schwab wrote:
baseball wrote:The thing that concerns me about Izzo and Cleveland is that apparently Chicago made an offer to him and he made no mention of it to his team. Then cleveland shows interest and he calls a meeting. I'm using Bzdelik leaving Colorado as an example, but usually when a coach calls a meeting it doesnt end well for fans of that school.

I could be wrong, but didn't Kansas hire Chalmers dad as Director of Basketball Operations? :)

Yea, and Darrell Arthur might not have passed high school math haha...shut your mouth. He atleast had some basketball experience. Wagner's dad was a JV assistant in high school haha. I'm just saying there is only about 3-4 seasons in Cal's career where he didnt have a legit scandal looked at by the NCAA. most of his stuff was behind the scenes and not bball related either (i.e. Rose, Dozier, Jones)
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things