Phil and I

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Phil and I

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:02 am

I am by no means a Lakers fan but it looks like when I was defending Howard (in their last series with Boston) that Phil and I had the same perception.

07:17 AM ET 06.01 | A new series, a new tip from Phil Jackson on what officials should watch. In a question related to the teams' toughness, Jackson acknowledged the contrast between the Lakers' and Celtics' physical makeups, saying, "We don't have a smackdown mentality." He then riffed on Boston forward Kevin Garnett for what Jackson perceived as playing a little too rough against Orlando center Dwight Howard in the Celtics' six-game East finals victory over the Magic. "He was smacking Howard's arm and finally he was called for an offensive foul," Jackson said of Garnett. "That's not our team. We don't go out there and smack people around."

The Los Angeles Times
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Phil and I

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:56 pm

winner-within wrote:I am by no means a Lakers fan but it looks like when I was defending Howard (in their last series with Boston) that Phil and I had the same perception.

07:17 AM ET 06.01 | A new series, a new tip from Phil Jackson on what officials should watch. In a question related to the teams' toughness, Jackson acknowledged the contrast between the Lakers' and Celtics' physical makeups, saying, "We don't have a smackdown mentality." He then riffed on Boston forward Kevin Garnett for what Jackson perceived as playing a little too rough against Orlando center Dwight Howard in the Celtics' six-game East finals victory over the Magic. "He was smacking Howard's arm and finally he was called for an offensive foul," Jackson said of Garnett. "That's not our team. We don't go out there and smack people around."

The Los Angeles Times

That doesn't mean Phil thinks Howard is a great player. He simply said the Lakers aren't going to completely lose their mind and start throwing forearm shivers to someones arm for no reason.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:I am by no means a Lakers fan but it looks like when I was defending Howard (in their last series with Boston) that Phil and I had the same perception.

The Los Angeles Times

That doesn't mean Phil thinks Howard is a great player. He simply said the Lakers aren't going to completely lose their mind and start throwing forearm shivers to someones arm for no reason.
Indy5 wrote:

The Los Angeles Times

come on Indy, you actually believe Phil wouldn't rather Gasol and Howard vs Gasol and Bynum....and you have to go back and read I think I referred to the Celtics as Cheap shot artists I guess I could have said forearm shivers.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Yes, Howard is better than Bynum, but Bynum is anything too special either.

And the Celtics are not cheap shot artists. Garnett is just crazy. Other than that, they haven't had any cheap shots. By using your logic, we could say Howard is dirty. He gave Davis a concussion.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Indy5 wrote:Yes, Howard is better than Bynum, but Bynum is anything too special either.

And the Celtics are not cheap shot artists. Garnett is just crazy. Other than that, they haven't had any cheap shots. By using your logic, we could say Howard is dirty. He gave Davis a concussion.

Don't forget the elbow to Pierce's jaw when he got the baseline on him.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 am

Indy5 wrote:Yes, Howard is better than Bynum, but Bynum is anything too special either.

I think Howard is forced to go physical (has to earn his keep in the NBA)....I would be reluctant to say "its in his demeanor"
The old vets (Celts) know what it takes to win down the stretch (Talent and wisdom) along with stretching the rules to the end.... remember if the league had not backed off on Perkins he would have missed a game...Rules are much tighter than they used to be...as much as fans like to see a little scrapping going on, they also know that Basket Ball is a game of finesse..... The Celtics will be looking to get Gasol and Odem Fighting back hoping to frustrate them....this is why Phil has set the stage with the Media....he to has a little wisdom when it comes to the Finals
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 pm

winner-within wrote:

I think Howard is forced to go physical (has to earn his keep in the NBA)....I would be reluctant to say "its in his demeanor"
The old vets (Celts) know what it takes to win down the stretch (Talent and wisdom) along with stretching the rules to the end.... remember if the league had not backed off on Perkins he would have missed a game...Rules are much tighter than they used to be...as much as fans like to see a little scrapping going on, they also know that Basket Ball is a game of finesse..... The Celtics will be looking to get Gasol and Odem Fighting back hoping to frustrate them....this is why Phil has set the stage with the Media....he to has a little wisdom when it comes to the Finals

Ok Perkins's T's were ridiculous in the first place. Thats why they were rescended. And you make it sound like all the Celtics just go around and put in dirty little cheap shots to make the other team want to fight them. They don't do that at all. Howard was physical last series because he's huge. So in return, Davis and Perkins were bodying him up. They don't have cheap shots. It was just a physical series. If anyone is dirty, it's Howard(and he's not)
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Ok Perkins's T's were ridiculous in the first place. Thats why they were rescended. And you make it sound like all the Celtics just go around and put in dirty little cheap shots to make the other team want to fight them. They don't do that at all. Howard was physical last series because he's huge. So in return, Davis and Perkins were bodying him up. They don't have cheap shots. It was just a physical series. If anyone is dirty, it's Howard(and he's not)

You watch this next series (and not with your blinders on).. and then say that
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't have any blinders. I don't even like the Celtics. As you can tell by my picture, I like the Thunder.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Indy5 wrote:I don't have any blinders. I don't even like the Celtics. As you can tell by my picture, I like the Thunder.

The Thunder??? you have higher hopes than I did with the Cavs....well anyways, it will be an interesting series and I couldn't care less myself who wins....If I had to pick I'd go with the Celts...YUK!! cant believe I said that... but the lakers are just to Hollywood for me.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things