Kobe Bryant

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Kobe Bryant

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 am

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:i will give Kobe one compliment though...that clip they showed of Chris Rock talking to him, and the look he had in his eye...THAT is what LeBron needs.

along withthe block on tony allen..WARRIOR

yea...blocks....i think LeBron has that one down..
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:16 pm

winner-within wrote:GREAT DEFENDER.... AND FOR YOU SCHWABY!!!!! THE LAST RING HIM AND LARD BUTT WON WAS AN ALLY OOP FROM KOBE TO LARD BUTT IN GAME 7 !!!!!! for all you Kobe haters...he is much closer to MJ than LeBron

That ally oop you're talking about wasn't even in the finals.

Michael Jordan - 5 time MVP, 6 time Finals MVP
Kobe - 1 MVP, 1 Finals MVP
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Ok first of all, he's an average to above average defender ( not the great defender everyone in the media and la la land makes him out to be). I never said Kobe wasn't a good player, he is a terrific scorer and finisher, I'm not going to take that away from him. He is NO WHERE NEAR mr. jordan. IMO they aren't even "playing the same game". Jordan played in an era where contact was actually allowed and teams HATED each other. IMO it will take someone winning 5 titles and a handful of MVPs to be in the discussion with MJ. That being said LeBron has the best chance, the fact of the matter is LeBron WILL be paired with another superstar and with a legitimate teammate (and please please please don't say Mo williams is good, if you think that go back and look at the series they lost last year in the playoffs where he should have just stayed on the bus.) I am not saying that he will be even close to MJ, but he has a CHANCE. Look at what MJ did, he turned an entire franchise around (I heard some stat that the bulls have only had 8 seasons when MJ wasn't there in which they had a winning percentage of about .550) LeBron has done the same type thing in Cleveland, a team that before LBJ got there had one all star on it's roster (Big Z). Kobe however walked into a great situation in LA, a storied franchise with a dozen or so titles. I dont even think Kobe is a top 3 Laker ever right now.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:44 pm

The Schwab wrote:Ok first of all, he's an average to above average defender ( not the great defender everyone in the media and la la land makes him out to be). I never said Kobe wasn't a good player, he is a terrific scorer and finisher, I'm not going to take that away from him. He is NO WHERE NEAR mr. jordan. IMO they aren't even "playing the same game". Jordan played in an era where contact was actually allowed and teams HATED each other. IMO it will take someone winning 5 titles and a handful of MVPs to be in the discussion with MJ. That being said LeBron has the best chance, the fact of the matter is LeBron WILL be paired with another superstar and with a legitimate teammate (and please please please don't say Mo williams is good, if you think that go back and look at the series they lost last year in the playoffs where he should have just stayed on the bus.) I am not saying that he will be even close to MJ, but he has a CHANCE. Look at what MJ did, he turned an entire franchise around (I heard some stat that the bulls have only had 8 seasons when MJ wasn't there in which they had a winning percentage of about .550) LeBron has done the same type thing in Cleveland, a team that before LBJ got there had one all star on it's roster (Big Z). Kobe however walked into a great situation in LA, a storied franchise with a dozen or so titles. I dont even think Kobe is a top 3 Laker ever right now.

LeBron is the Man...I totally agree.....But he has to get serious soon about Rings, his body wont Last as long as Jordans (took a break) he has Matured fast and has about 5 real good years left (unless he retires and comes back 2 years later) he will dissipate quicker....the minutes on the court that will be demanded no matter where he goes are going to take there toll...
as far as Kobe (not fond)... he has heart... hates loosing.....Jordan had bigger hands and could do more with the Ball...but Kobe, more than LeBron, can dig deeper when he needs to.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:i will give Kobe one compliment though...that clip they showed of Chris Rock talking to him, and the look he had in his eye...THAT is what LeBron needs.

Hasnt had to many blocks in the finals
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:07 pm

winner-within wrote:
baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Hasnt had to many blocks in the finals

Oh funny, another quote about LeBron not being in the finals, ha ha ha ha not funny. And please dont glorify blocking tony allen please.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:00 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Ok first of all, he's an average to above average defender ( not the great defender everyone in the media and la la land makes him out to be). I never said Kobe wasn't a good player, he is a terrific scorer and finisher, I'm not going to take that away from him. He is NO WHERE NEAR mr. jordan. IMO they aren't even "playing the same game". Jordan played in an era where contact was actually allowed and teams HATED each other. IMO it will take someone winning 5 titles and a handful of MVPs to be in the discussion with MJ. That being said LeBron has the best chance, the fact of the matter is LeBron WILL be paired with another superstar and with a legitimate teammate (and please please please don't say Mo williams is good, if you think that go back and look at the series they lost last year in the playoffs where he should have just stayed on the bus.) I am not saying that he will be even close to MJ, but he has a CHANCE. Look at what MJ did, he turned an entire franchise around (I heard some stat that the bulls have only had 8 seasons when MJ wasn't there in which they had a winning percentage of about .550) LeBron has done the same type thing in Cleveland, a team that before LBJ got there had one all star on it's roster (Big Z). Kobe however walked into a great situation in LA, a storied franchise with a dozen or so titles. I dont even think Kobe is a top 3 Laker ever right now.

LeBron is the Man...I totally agree.....But he has to get serious soon about Rings, his body wont Last as long as Jordans (took a break) he has Matured fast and has about 5 real good years left (unless he retires and comes back 2 years later) he will dissipate quicker....the minutes on the court that will be demanded no matter where he goes are going to take there toll...
as far as Kobe (not fond)... he has heart... hates loosing.....Jordan had bigger hands and could do more with the Ball...but Kobe, more than LeBron, can dig deeper when he needs to.

LeBron...5 good years left.....what? you do realize he's only 25 right?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:49 pm

I have a serious question for everyone who says Kobe is better. without using "he can close games"...what is one thing Kobe does better then LeBron?

Misconception #1 - Kobe is a better scorer.
Fact - LeBron scores more then Kobe....contradiction?

Misconception #2 - Kobe is a better shooter.
Fact - LeBron has a better percentage from the field. most people will say that's because LeBron has more shots around the rim then Kobe does, which is true, but how do you explain LeBron having a better percentage from 3?

LeBron has a worse supporting cast, yet gets 3.5 more assists a game then Kobe does. Lebron dominates the boards compared to Kobe. Kobe averages less turnover then LeBron, but not much (3.4 vs. 3.2), which isnt really a good thing for Kobe since he's has waaaaay more of a score-first mentallity then LeBron does. The only real edge Kobe has on LeBron is free throw shooting...which even that is only 4% better.

So Kobe fans...lets hear it. What does Kobe do better then LeBron night in night out, without saying closing games, because theres more to the game then just the final posession?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I think Lebron is a better player, but Kobe has a better midrange game.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:09 pm

So Kobe does one thing better than LBJ. I wonder how many assists Lebron would have averaged if he would have had shaq in his prime...i dont think 15 would be out of the question. Kobe managed 5.5.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

LeBron...5 good years left.....what? you do realize he's only 25 right?

Le
baseball wrote:I have a serious question for everyone who says Kobe is better. without using "he can close games"...what is one thing Kobe does better then LeBron?

Fact - LeBron has a better percentage from the field. most people will say that's because LeBron has more shots around the rim then Kobe does, which is true, but how do you explain LeBron having a better percentage from 3?

LeBron has a worse supporting cast, yet gets 3.5 more assists a game then Kobe does. Lebron dominates the boards compared to Kobe. Kobe averages less turnover then LeBron, but not much (3.4 vs. 3.2), which isnt really a good thing for Kobe since he's has waaaaay more of a score-first mentallity then LeBron does. The only real edge Kobe has on LeBron is free throw shooting...which even that is only 4% better.

So Kobe fans...lets hear it. What does Kobe do better then LeBron night in night out, without saying closing games, because theres more to the game then just the final posession?

So what your saying is LeBron is a better BBall player But Kobe is better at what they both do for a living....so Kobe is a Better PRO....he runs a better buisiness....he has paid more dues...and has a much better resume.....is that what you saying?? this is the NBA not Playground Central
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:13 pm

winner-within wrote:Le
baseball wrote:I have a serious question for everyone who says Kobe is better. without using "he can close games"...what is one thing Kobe does better then LeBron?

So what your saying is LeBron is a better BBall player But Kobe is better at what they both do for a living....so Kobe is a Better PRO....he runs a better buisiness....he has paid more dues...and has a much better resume.....is that what you saying?? this is the NBA not Playground Central

how are you possibly taking what i said as saying Kobe does what they both do better? All I did was list things LeBron does better (everything). But i guess if Kobe making 4% more of his free throws makes him a better pro, i lose this debate.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 am

I guess to me, the only thing that really matters is the last couple minutes of NBA games. I mean really, i hadn't watched much nba but i watched quite a bit this year. No one plays defense, so whats the big whoop about assist numbers...not that hard to drive in and dish when no ones playing d and kick it to a wide open shooter who gets payed millions to make those shots. Rebounds...Its pretty much, here shoot an open shot if you make it its our ball, if you miss we'll have the rebound. The only part of the game where they dig down and give effort is the end of games and that is where Kobe dominates. That is the way i see it.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 am

Thats and interesting take..but if assists and rebounds are that easy to pick up..why doesnt Kobe get more?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:20 am

The NBA doesn't play defense? With the exception of the Suns (they are my favorite team I can bash them if I want) everyone else plays defense. The reason why it doesn't seem like they do can be attributed to 2 things. The first of which is the overall offensive talent of the league is getting rediculous (3 players off the top of my head that you litterally can't stop when they are doing what they do best, 1. Dirks fallback from the elbow 2. Kobe's wing jumper and 3. LeBron attacking the rim). And secondly "Defensive 3 seconds" which limits the zone defense you can play. Every thing in the NBA is geared toward the offense. If they made 2 minor changes (getting rid of that stupid semi circle under the hoop and the defensive 3 seconds you would see the average score in NBA games drop like a rock.) I know everyone talks about Kobe being a great finisher, and I have said from the start that he is. It is easier for him to get open looks when it comes down to crunch time, he has a pretty darn good supporting cast that cleans up his mess when he misses the big shot, but no one talks about that, 2 pretty big examples of that (Pau in game 6 against the thunder and Artest in game 5 against the Lakers (If Jrich breathes on Artest, we are probably talking about the Suns and Celtics finals, I'm sure I'll get bashed for this). In LeBrons case when the game is on the line who else on the floor has proven they can make big shots? Anderson Varajo? Choke Williams? or when he dished it off to Donyell Marshall, yuck. So everyone knows he is the only one who can take and make big shots.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:16 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:Le

how are you possibly taking what i said as saying Kobe does what they both do better? All I did was list things LeBron does better (everything). But i guess if Kobe making 4% more of his free throws makes him a better pro, i lose this debate.

Lebron has waisted 7 years at home.....its like the Kid who cant leave home (enables them).....he should have took the Hummer they gave him when he was 15 (before he even had a license) took the $$$$ and saved it for spending $$$ at college....then he should have went to Michigan ST....just to stuff off the OHIO residents...played for Izzo a couple of years and learn its not about him.....then signed with an NBA team with the best Cast (remember Cavs had Boozer but he oppted out because of the KING) and won a championship.....Instead he pulled a Garnett and now Kevin has to settle for one ring and a lot of Bull Crap trough out his career. Kobe is a better Pro because of his dad and what he learned in Italy....he learned its about winning (why play the game) Kobe....out fo all the players going straight from HS to the pros has made the most of this career....Lebrons age means nothing now, after seven years at any age, it will take its toll...and with all the young talent and good prgrams and coaches coming his way...he best learn this summer that its time to come off of his high horse and start building his business...his Resume....other wise he will be know as the best player to never win...(nobodys true destination).
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:27 pm

winner-within wrote:Lebron has waisted 7 years at home.....its like the Kid who cant leave home (enables them).....he should have took the Hummer they gave him when he was 15 (before he even had a license) took the $$$$ and saved it for spending $$$ at college....then he should have went to Michigan ST....just to stuff off the OHIO residents...played for Izzo a couple of years and learn its not about him.....then signed with an NBA team with the best Cast (remember Cavs had Boozer but he oppted out because of the KING) and won a championship.....Instead he pulled a Garnett and now Kevin has to settle for one ring and a lot of Bull Crap trough out his career. Kobe is a better Pro because of his dad and what he learned in Italy....he learned its about winning (why play the game) Kobe....out fo all the players going straight from HS to the pros has made the most of this career....Lebrons age means nothing now, after seven years at any age, it will take its toll...and with all the young talent and good prgrams and coaches coming his way...he best learn this summer that its time to come off of his high horse and start building his business...his Resume....other wise he will be know as the best player to never win...(nobodys true destination).

Ok, good lecture, but that had nothing to do with what baseball said.

And really, you think LeBron screwed up his career just because he came straight out of high school? You can't blame him for getting picked by Cleveland and having Boozer leave. I doubt LeBron forced him out. And he has wasted so much time in Cleveland because he had to. Now he gets the chance to opt out and probably will.

Another thing, why should have he gone to Michigan State just to "stuff it to the Ohio residents?" He is from Ohio, he likes it there. That is his home. Why would he want to do that? And what point would it prove?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Another thing, why should have he gone to Michigan State just to "stuff it to the Ohio residents?" He is from Ohio, he likes it there. That is his home. Why would he want to do that? And what point would it prove?

I was thinking that exact same thing. he needed to go to MSU to learn it wasnt about him and to stuff it to Ohio? How would that not be drawing MORE attention to himself? Anyone remember Eric Gordon and the whole Illinois-Indiana deal...

im gonna need it explained to me how going to college would have been a benefit to him? it would have been even more of a one man show in college then it was/is at Cleveland...so really, college would have been a detriment to him. its starting to become clear to me that winner-within doesnt think Kobe's better, he just hates LeBron. It's like the Yankees, Duke, Patriots...who ever is the best at what they do they are either hated or loved, no one ever "doesnt mind" them.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I was thinking that exact same thing. he needed to go to MSU to learn it wasnt about him and to stuff it to Ohio? How would that not be drawing MORE attention to himself? Anyone remember Eric Gordon and the whole Illinois-Indiana deal...

im gonna need it explained to me how going to college would have been a benefit to him? it would have been even more of a one man show in college then it was/is at Cleveland...so really, college would have been a detriment to him. its starting to become clear to me that winner-within doesnt think Kobe's better, he just hates LeBron. It's like the Yankees, Duke, Patriots...who ever is the best at what they do they are either hated or loved, no one ever "doesnt mind" them.

Baseball....you have to realize I dont like Kobe (read my post) hes tremendously selfish, he has to try, and work twice as hard (to be considered in the top 5 of the leauge) as LeBron does...and thats my point...Lebron has not managed his decisions or his capabilitys well, and Kobe has....consentrating on winning championships....
I went from MJ to LeBron as being my favorite to watch....MJ was lucky to get Phil in his life and now Lebron needs to wake up and do the same thing....LeBron made me so mad this Playoff season coming out with the best record and MPV and then stinkin up the series with Boston...MJ never did that, especially midway through his career....so I decided to defend Kobe a bit....he has heart, I like that...but I dont like his personallity...and I hope somehow the King can be humbled a bit...do you here me talkin Kevin D.
Last edited by winner-within on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:19 pm

You don't like Kobe because he is selfish, and you like LeBron? yet all your bashing on LeBron is that he thinks its all about him...you should make up your mind haha. stunk it up in the Boston series? 27-9-7 for the series...what a pathetic showing. that just shows how bad his team is, his team had a bad showing and he is being talked about for not stepping up when really he was a beast the entire series...just like the rest of the season.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:24 pm

baseball wrote:You don't like Kobe because he is selfish, and you like LeBron? yet all your bashing on LeBron is that he thinks its all about him...you should make up your mind haha. stunk it up in the Boston series? 27-9-7 for the series...what a pathetic showing. that just shows how bad his team is, his team had a bad showing and he is being talked about for not stepping up when really he was a beast the entire series...just like the rest of the season.

LeBrons EGO is in the way, not his selfishness and dont tell me to make up my mind when all you do is counter with three words most of the time.... like your the cockiest know it all on the forum.... Mabey thats why you like LeBron.. BMOC HA HA....his team was bad and so was his coach and he knew it and stayed...WHY?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:47 pm

winner-within wrote:his team was bad and so was his coach and he knew it and stayed...WHY?

do you understand what a contract is??

your cant just say "oh, this place is bad, time to leave."

He's actually turning down the option for a 4th year on his contract extention to become a free agent.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:03 pm

I honestly can't believe you are bashing LeBron for going to Cleveland and not going to college. If your going to bash a kid for going straight to the league then bash Ndudi Ebi.
I wish LeBron would have been fortunate enough to go to a GREAT situation the way Kobe did. He would have 4 rings and we would be talking about how he is gods gift to basketball, instead he went to the Cavs and turned around a helpless franchise. You can bash LeBron all you want, but he is a class act, tried to help his home states terrible franchise and showed up in the playoffs (I've never heard of anyone else being bashed for getting a triple double in the decisive game). It's amazing how people forget how selfish Kobe was a few years back, then the genie rubbed his lamp and memphis made a HORRIBLE trade and bingo bango bongo the Lakers are in the finals for the 3rd straight year. I hope LeBron pairs up with either Dwade or CB4 and wins 3 rings, because it would happen.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:11 pm

winner-within wrote:LeBrons EGO is in the way...

Please explain how "Lebron's ego is in the way?" Kobe was the one who couldn't share the spotlight with one of the greatest players of all time.

...his team was bad and so was his coach and he knew it and stayed...WHY?

A team in the finals is "bad?" He could have signed a 1 year deal for a little over 7 million or signed a 5 year deal for $80 million. HMMMM...I wonder why he did it?

baseball wrote:He's actually turning down the option for a 4th year on his contract extention to become a free agent.

4th year is a team option, player has no control.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 pm

If the 4th year was a team option we wouldn't be having the summer of Lebron...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things