Kobe Bryant

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Kobe Bryant

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:44 pm

:|
Last edited by winner-within on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:47 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:#2 shooting gaurd of all time and still playing, with another ring right around the corner...mmmmmmmm! what am I missing?????????????

2. Kobe Bryant

For Kobe to already be ahead of Mr. West at such a young age (30) tells you how great he really is. So far in his 12-year career, Kobe has career averages of 25 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 1.5 steals, and 0.6 blocks. He also shoots a solid 45.3 percent from the field, 34 percent from the three-point line, and 84 percent from the free throw line.

He has made the All Star team 10 times, with one of the seasons being cut off because of the lockout. He has also made the All NBA team nine times, with six of them being first team selections. He is one of the greatest defensive guards of all time as he has made the All NBA defensive team seven times, with five of the selections being first team selections.

He has also won an MVP Award, two All Star game MVPs, and two scoring titles. Despite his young age, he is already 24th all time in total points.

Finally, he helped lead the Lakers to three straight championships in the early 2000s and made himself one of the best playoff performers of all time.

Kobe still has several great years in him and could move to No. 1 on this list someday.

1. Michael Jordan

Jordan is one of the three greatest players of all time (behind both Magic and Kareem). In his 15-year career, he averaged 30.1 points per game, 6.2 rebounds, and 5.3 assists along with 2.3 steals and 0.8 blocks. He also shot a tremendous 49.7 percent from the field and 84 percent from the free throw line.

He was selected to the All Star team 13 times, winning three All Star game MVPs. He was also one of the greatest defensive players of the all time as he won the Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1987-1988. He was selected to the All NBA defensive team nine times, with all of them being first team selections, and to the All NBA team 10 times, with nine of them being first team selections.

He led the Bulls to two different sets of threepeats in the 1990s and he won six Finals MVP Awards. He is also second all time in MVP Awards with five, behind only Kareem, who has six.

Good Job on quoting an article of the bleacher report, I'm done listening to you.

Oh you actually thought I wanted you to think I wrote it LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
thats why I stated what am I missing when others think like me and you guys are bashing #2 of all time shooting guards WHOA!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:49 pm

winner-within wrote:scoring - the last 3 seasons straight LeBron has score more then Kobe with fewer attempts = being a better scorer---------------------------------go back to when Kobe was 25 and compare
long range shooting - so you cite one clutch 3 under pressure and that makes Kobe the better 3 point shooter? I'll take the body of work over the course of an 82 game season instead of 1 late game shot....---------------------------------------Long range shooting isnt a part of the game that decides a better player...if kobe has a better Mid range than he wins in the shooting comparison
rebounding - people over play LeBron being bigger then Kobe...Kobe is no smaller guy, but yes, smaller then LeBron. plus...aside from LeBron, Deng, Gerald Wallace and Durant...the 3's rebound at a slightly higher pace thent he 2's, but its close.------------------------------------ Kobe is small 6'6" (below average height (6' 7") in the NBA) he playes bigger than he is and rebounds pound for pound as good as LeBron
passing - you can see sometihng
ball handling - Kobe has the ball a ton, but LeBron has it more and they turn it over at about the same clip. Plus LeBron does more dribbling into the defense to create while Kobe does more dribbling to get away from the defense for a shot.--------------------------- Kobe can dribble the Ball better than Lebron can...much better crossover and I dont know what your watching but Kobe is constantly attacking off the dribble, I know for sure he has more layups or baselines than Lebron during a season.
half court defense - I'm not talking on ball, that ones debateable. LeBron is one of the best weakside defenders in the league..------------------------------.OH so your not talking "on the Ball" well why didn't you say so? Kobe denies the Ball better form guard to guard passing because he plays much lower to the court and has long arms... if you dont think he is a defensive threat than I have do a WOW!!
transition defense - if you think that is highly debately...wow, just wow.---------------------------- This like Long range shooting is Irrelevant unless Lebron or team goes back down and converts...stupid stat...
leadership - see my example about Kobe wanting out of his team instead of stepping up to lead them.--------------------------------- what a JOKE, I'm sure you've had a Job that wasn't going so well before...and Fisher won it on the court Tuesday but Kobe did it in the huddle... LEADERSHIP ON THE COURT Kobe wins
court vision - how does high school ball matter at all? you're right there is 24 seconds to make a play. Kobe is better at getting a shot up in that time then he is creating for his team. Lebron is better at making a play.---------------------------------...Yea and Kobe is better in the final's... its like Kobe has never made a play.....another stupid comparison

1. Being a good 3 point shooter is a tool to measure a players talent.
2. Kobe got 2 less rebounds a game.
3. Transition defense is irrelevant? So it doesn't matter that he stops the other team from having sure-fire baskets? That's ridiculous.
4. LeBron plays about as good of on ball defense. Did you see what he did to Pierce?
5. For court vision, really? Another comment about Kobe being better in the finals? You don't know if LeBron would be better, he hasn't been there. Well once, but he was like 21 and overwhelmed by the experienced Spurs.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:scoring - the last 3 seasons straight LeBron has score more then Kobe with fewer attempts = being a better scorer---------------------------------go back to when Kobe was 25 and compare
long range shooting - so you cite one clutch 3 under pressure and that makes Kobe the better 3 point shooter? I'll take the body of work over the course of an 82 game season instead of 1 late game shot....---------------------------------------Long range shooting isnt a part of the game that decides a better player...if kobe has a better Mid range than he wins in the shooting comparison
rebounding - people over play LeBron being bigger then Kobe...Kobe is no smaller guy, but yes, smaller then LeBron. plus...aside from LeBron, Deng, Gerald Wallace and Durant...the 3's rebound at a slightly higher pace thent he 2's, but its close.------------------------------------ Kobe is small 6'6" (below average height (6' 7") in the NBA) he playes bigger than he is and rebounds pound for pound as good as LeBron
passing - you can see sometihng
ball handling - Kobe has the ball a ton, but LeBron has it more and they turn it over at about the same clip. Plus LeBron does more dribbling into the defense to create while Kobe does more dribbling to get away from the defense for a shot.--------------------------- Kobe can dribble the Ball better than Lebron can...much better crossover and I dont know what your watching but Kobe is constantly attacking off the dribble, I know for sure he has more layups or baselines than Lebron during a season.
half court defense - I'm not talking on ball, that ones debateable. LeBron is one of the best weakside defenders in the league..------------------------------.OH so your not talking "on the Ball" well why didn't you say so? Kobe denies the Ball better form guard to guard passing because he plays much lower to the court and has long arms... if you dont think he is a defensive threat than I have do a WOW!!
transition defense - if you think that is highly debately...wow, just wow.---------------------------- This like Long range shooting is Irrelevant unless Lebron or team goes back down and converts...stupid stat...
leadership - see my example about Kobe wanting out of his team instead of stepping up to lead them.--------------------------------- what a JOKE, I'm sure you've had a Job that wasn't going so well before...and Fisher won it on the court Tuesday but Kobe did it in the huddle... LEADERSHIP ON THE COURT Kobe wins
court vision - how does high school ball matter at all? you're right there is 24 seconds to make a play. Kobe is better at getting a shot up in that time then he is creating for his team. Lebron is better at making a play.---------------------------------...Yea and Kobe is better in the final's... its like Kobe has never made a play.....another stupid comparison

1. Being a good 3 point shooter is a tool to measure a players talent.
2. Kobe got 2 less rebounds a game.
3. Transition defense is irrelevant? So it doesn't matter that he stops the other team from having sure-fire baskets? That's ridiculous.
4. LeBron plays about as good of on ball defense. Did you see what he did to Pierce?
5. For court vision, really? Another comment about Kobe being better in the finals? You don't know if LeBron would be better, he hasn't been there. Well once, but he was like 21 and overwhelmed by the experienced Spurs.

I personally think this whole comparison thing is RIDICULOUS
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:37 pm

winner-within wrote:#2 shooting gaurd of all time and still playing, with another ring right around the corner...mmmmmmmm! what am I missing?????????????

#2 shooting guard of all-time doesnt hold any weight when he's being compared to a SF who is better then him...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:39 am

If you wanna win you take kobe, if you want a stat machine you take Lebron :mrgreen:
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:38 am

ndfan wrote:If you wanna win you take kobe, if you want a stat machine you take Lebron :mrgreen:

Thank You!!.........Its like this, Baseball-Schwab-and especially Flip and Indy5 have all blamed Mo-and the rest of Lebrons com-padres...but aren't these the same dudes that were part of the best record in the NBA with the MVP on their squad also...I was never so mad when Lebron came out and passed the ball every time he got it and ended up with 15 points....he passed up countless 3's a (and hes better than Kobe at long range shooting???)

He sold his soul to the Devil this season....he proved he could (and not to repeat myself) best record out and MVP out, than he said," sorry, I just don't have it in me to make this run" either the Elbow was that sore or the future was to bright....If I was Mo and Com-padres I would be mad at Lebron..........because after 7 years of bragging him up...I KNOW I WAS!!!!!!!!!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 am

winner-within wrote:
ndfan wrote:If you wanna win you take kobe, if you want a stat machine you take Lebron :mrgreen:

Thank You!!.........Its like this, Baseball-Schwab-and especially Flip and Indy5 have all blamed Mo-and the rest of Lebrons com-padres...but aren't these the same dudes that were part of the best record in the NBA with the MVP on their squad also...I was never so mad when Lebron came out and passed the ball every time he got it and ended up with 15 points....he passed up countless 3's a (and hes better than Kobe at long range shooting???)

He sold his soul to the Devil this season....he proved he could (and not to repeat myself) best record out and MVP out, than he said," sorry, I just don't have it in me to make this run" either the Elbow was that sore or the future was to bright....If I was Mo and Com-padres I would be mad at Lebron..........because after 7 years of bragging him up...I KNOW I WAS!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know how to respond to this because it's so ridiculous. I just do not see how you can possibly blame LeBron for his team not getting passed Boston(Who has a great shot at knocking off the Lakers and I think they will).
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 am

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I don't even know how to respond to this because it's so ridiculous. I just do not see how you can possibly blame LeBron for his team not getting passed Boston(Who has a great shot at knocking off the Lakers and I think they will).

They got passed them during the season.....and If Lebron is the next MJ...then, well, noughsaid
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

They got passed them during the season.....and If Lebron is the next MJ...then, well, noughsaid

Really? Just because a team beats another team during the regular season doesn't mean they will win the series in the playoffs. And I can't belive you just made that MJ comment. Do you not remember when MJ couldn't get past the Pistons?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 am

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Really? Just because a team beats another team during the regular season doesn't mean they will win the series in the playoffs. And I can't belive you just made that MJ comment. Do you not remember when MJ couldn't get past the Pistons?

You know what I remember...I remember Jordan's 6 final MVP's winning each of those Finals....LeBron will have to at least have one before I will compare him to MaGic,MJ, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Dunvan, Hakeem, Kareem
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:42 pm

winner-within wrote:
You know what I remember...I remember Jordan's 6 final MVP's winning each of those Finals....LeBron will have to at least have one before I will compare him to MaGic,MJ, Bird, Kobe, Shaq, Dunvan, Hakeem, Kareem

Just like my other questions, I havent got an answer to this one either. Why are rings so important to judging how great a player is? All rings measure is how great the TEAM was. It would be different if it was like saying Tiger is the best golfer in the world without ever winning a tournament in his life. individual success should not be rated on championships in a team sport.

one of my favorite players who i think was greatly underappreciated for how great he was since he retired was Clyde Drexler. He was phenominal but still didnt have a ring until he was paired with an all-star (Hakeem). If LeBron can team up with CB4 next year, that would be almost as sure a thing as Boston in 08, probably even more of a sure thing.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:43 pm

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Just like my other questions, I havent got an answer to this one either. Why are rings so important to judging how great a player is? All rings measure is how great the TEAM was. It would be different if it was like saying Tiger is the best golfer in the world without ever winning a tournament in his life. individual success should not be rated on championships in a team sport.

one of my favorite players who i think was greatly underappreciated for how great he was since he retired was Clyde Drexler. He was phenominal but still didnt have a ring until he was paired with an all-star (Hakeem). If LeBron can team up with CB4 next year, that would be almost as sure a thing as Boston in 08, probably even more of a sure thing.

well as much as I like to debate I am going to approach this one a little differently......I will answer any question of yours Baseball...if you throw out the sarcasim...and remember you've even stated that you are "probably one of the most sarcastic on this board" I don't have a problem with that, I'm sure I am right behind you....but If we leave it out answers will come with more dignity.
I'm going to answer the Ring Thing this way....Kobe didnt get the ring...shaq did..OK but you say "team" and thats what I said along, with Coach..enough said, I see your point and I agree...it takes a team, Kobe 30% ,Shaq 35% phil and reserves the rest or wahatever.
Now, Clyde happens to be my Brothers favorite Player of all time...as far as me.... yep, he was awsome..as good or even slightly better than Dr J...but this is what happened to the NBA after about 1990...at the time it was almost 80% Black players and just like Larry Bird said it was "embarrising when they put a white guy on me"....there was a big swing to international players to keep the fans interested.....truley!!....this made no sense but thats what happen...I actually think its the reason it made it easier to go straight from HS to the NBA...as long as it was from some High class private academy.
There are alot of players coming out of College in the US that could be the next Pipen,, Kemp, Drexler, that are getting replaced by the Internationals..and I dont agree with this but thats what Stern and his people wanted
LeBron, No matter the Era, was deserving of HS to the NBA...That Good!!...do I agree that that was the right Decision...NO...but that dont matter because the more Ithink about it...it took MJ 6 years and a good team and a great coach before his talent was harnessed an prodused a Ring..
so in a sense thats right where lebron is at, even a younger age...He should be just fine....so go and make the best of this free agency and plant youself with a team that on a particular night you might even be over shadowed by a teammate... like Jordan was with Pipen and Magic was with Kareem or Worthy or Scott...Bird was with McHale or the Chief and the Rings will come and in the end he will truly be the KING....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 pm

winner-within wrote:

Alright, first of all in the last 20 years only 8 teams with the best record in the NBA went on to win the finals. I wasn't "blaming" his team mates for not winning a title, you can't make apples from lemons. The only reason I brought up the teammates was to compare Kobe and Lebron when they both had bad supporting casts (Kobe has never won a title without another dominant player, LeBron has never HAD another dominant player). Please don't question LeBron's heart and determination. Mo Williams has no place to be mad at anyone for not having a ring. By the way, nice to see Kobe have to try to win against the Celtics with no help for the first time in the series. If you can honestly tell me how a guy who averaged 29, 9, 8, 2 and 2 for the playoffs while shooting over 50 percent from the floor, 40 from the 3 and 73 from the line "packed it in and went money chasing" I will stop watching sports.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 am

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Alright, first of all in the last 20 years only 8 teams with the best record in the NBA went on to win the finals. I wasn't "blaming" his team mates for not winning a title, you can't make apples from lemons. The only reason I brought up the teammates was to compare Kobe and Lebron when they both had bad supporting casts (Kobe has never won a title without another dominant player, LeBron has never HAD another dominant player). Please don't question LeBron's heart and determination. Mo Williams has no place to be mad at anyone for not having a ring. By the way, nice to see Kobe have to try to win against the Celtics with no help for the first time in the series. If you can honestly tell me how a guy who averaged 29, 9, 8, 2 and 2 for the playoffs while shooting over 50 percent from the floor, 40 from the 3 and 73 from the line "packed it in and went money chasing" I will stop watching sports.

just think what 29 ppg would have been if he hadn't had a 15 point flop (which looked on purpose) I mean Kobe even got 30 a couple times being tripled team......I'm going to brush on the Lakers because you keep going back and forth....Who was the superstar when Kobe won last year??
Please don't say Pau.....He isn't even in the top 200 of all time. Also in reference to the Game if Artest wouldn't have held up on the layup and and waited for the D and then miss both free throws and then go back down and foul on a basket but let the guy make it, Lakers would have had a chance... if Kobes team mates weren't so anxious to get home....it would be one game to go!!
So those Numbers for LeBron are an Indication that he tried his hardest to bring in at least a trip to the Finals???? How come Boston has to focus twice as Hard on Kobe than they had to on LeBron (which made it easier to get those Numbers) the night he went for 15 points...he only had one guy guarding him the whole game...Boston knew he had thrown in the towel....so then Mike Brown gets the Ax with two of the best records for the last two seasons Cleavland has ever seen. They fired Mike to try and keep leBron .....He has that much clout
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 am

I'll take a 1 percent boost in the chance to keep LeBron if I fire Mike Brown any day of the week, same with Danny Ferry no question.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:20 am

The Schwab wrote:I'll take a 1 percent boost in the chance to keep LeBron if I fire Mike Brown any day of the week, same with Danny Ferry no question.

I agree....then I'd tell LeBron, if you have one Game that you score less than 20 your fired too...I'd tell him he has some very dedicated fans up there in ND (me included) and they (some) don't care if you get a ring cause your the KING....but there is one guy (winner) who measures a player on winning championships....oh by the way thats why we fired Mike, we're hoping you stick around!!.... and we are finally going to pull our head out and build you a team with a Coach (who likes ring too) and you can get this city one!!! :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:32 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

just think what 29 ppg would have been if he hadn't had a 15 point flop (which looked on purpose) I mean Kobe even got 30 a couple times being tripled team......I'm going to brush on the Lakers because you keep going back and forth....Who was the superstar when Kobe won last year??
Please don't say Pau.....He isn't even in the top 200 of all time.

Name 3 legit 7 footers better then Pau..
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:35 pm

I don't know if he's top 200 all time, but he is a legit all-star. Something LeBron has never had.

O, and Wilt, Shaq, and Robinson. I'd say Russell but I don't know if he was 7 foot.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:36 pm

in reference to Baseballs Question:

Nice try, but who said you have to be 7 ft tall....when it comes to big men in the middle, in the history of the NBA, PAU is way down on the list...now throw in "superstars" that could help each other win a ring...he falls much further.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:27 pm

winner-within wrote:in reference to Baseballs Question:

Nice try, but who said you have to be 7 ft tall....when it comes to big men in the middle, in the history of the NBA, PAU is way down on the list...now throw in "superstars" that could help each other win a ring...he falls much further.

Well I think the point he was trying to make was he is a top 3 center in the league right now. 19 and 9 for career averages is pretty darn good.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:32 pm

The Schwab wrote:

Well I think the point he was trying to make was he is a top 3 center in the league right now. 19 and 9 for career averages is pretty darn good.

This guy gets the question. Not that i expect an answer, much like the rest of them. But there aren't 3 C/PFs in the game right now better then Pau. Chris Bosh is probably the only one I think is BETTER and cant argue against it. Carlos Boozer? up there, but no. Amare Stoudamire? same as Boozer. Zach randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge? no, no. Dwight Howard, I say no just because he can only dunk. Tim duncan? on the downslide of his career while Pau is peaking.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:39 pm

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

This guy gets the question. Not that i expect an answer, much like the rest of them. But there aren't 3 C/PFs in the game right now better then Pau. Chris Bosh is probably the only one I think is BETTER and cant argue against it. Carlos Boozer? up there, but no. Amare Stoudamire? same as Boozer. Zach randolph, LaMarcus Aldridge? no, no. Dwight Howard, I say no just because he can only dunk. Tim duncan? on the downslide of his career while Pau is peaking.

I would definitely say Amare is better. Amare doesn't fit your 7 foot description though. :D
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I tihnk Amare is alot like Howard in the fact that their only real offensive game is power dunking...now dont get me wrong, Amare as improved his midrange/taking man off the dribble, but still has a little ways to go. Gasol is a type of player who everytime he takes a 15-17 footer, noone is suprised if it goes in. not to mention he's and 80% FT shooter so its not like you can just foul him to deny 2 points.

but anyway...even if you count Amare as better, which i can see, that still doesnt give you 3 bigs better then Pau, haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:24 pm

baseball wrote:I tihnk Amare is alot like Howard in the fact that their only real offensive game is power dunking...now dont get me wrong, Amare as improved his midrange/taking man off the dribble, but still has a little ways to go. Gasol is a type of player who everytime he takes a 15-17 footer, noone is suprised if it goes in. not to mention he's and 80% FT shooter so its not like you can just foul him to deny 2 points.

but anyway...even if you count Amare as better, which i can see, that still doesnt give you 3 bigs better then Pau, haha

Haha, your right. Unless you count Dirk as a big. IMO he is for sure better than Pau. He's just not much of a big.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things