Where does Northern Iowa beating Kansas rank?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Where does Northern Iowa beating Kansas rank?

Postby old#63 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Northern Iowa (Ben Jacobson's team) beat #1 overall Kansas in the second round of the NCAA basketball playoffs. Where does this rank in all time March Madness upsets?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Re: Where does Northern Iowa beating Kansas rank?

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I'd say its good, but not even top 10.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Almost as good as this one :) Do you believe in miracles, yes! yes i do! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRfpcc3 ... re=related
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:25 pm

huge upset yes, but nothing remember has one of the greatest in history. UNI is 30-4..hardly a slouch team. deserved higher then a 9 seed IMO. Kansas still scored 15 points more then UNI gives up on average.

My question...why is Ali shooting that 3 with 30 seconds left?!? if he misses that the UNI fans would end his life before he even left the court....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:47 pm

baseball wrote:huge upset yes, but nothing remember has one of the greatest in history. UNI is 30-4..hardly a slouch team. deserved higher then a 9 seed IMO. Kansas still scored 15 points more then UNI gives up on average.

My question...why is Ali shooting that 3 with 30 seconds left?!? if he misses that the UNI fans would end his life before he even left the court....

I'm sorry baseball. I know that one must have hurt. :wink:
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:huge upset yes, but nothing remember has one of the greatest in history. UNI is 30-4..hardly a slouch team. deserved higher then a 9 seed IMO. Kansas still scored 15 points more then UNI gives up on average.

I'm sorry baseball. I know that one must have hurt. :wink:

by that point i was already beyond mad so o well haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Since 1985 (64 or 65 team playoff) the number 1 seed has never lost the first round, and has lost in the second round 14 times. That is out of 106 games. The #9 has beaten the #1 5 of those 14 times. Kansas being the #1 overall (top ranked of the #1 seeds) makes this even a little bigger deal. But, even given all of that, I agree that this probably isn't in the top 10. But I would put in the top 20, IMO.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:50 pm

a 9 seed now is so much better then a 9 seed was 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago.

When Bryce Drew hit that winner for Valpo to upset Ole Miss it was like they just won the national title. although they still put together a good celebration, aa 13 beating a 4 isnt as uncommon as it was in the past.

Where did you get your numbers for the #1 seeds in the second round? of them 14 losses, how many have been after 2000?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Got the numbers from wikipedia,
Of the #1 seeds 14 losses in the second round, 6 have occurred since 2000, but Northern Iowa beating Kansas is the only time in the last 6 years.

2000 - 2
2001 - 0
2002 - 1
2003 - 0
2004 - 2
2005 - 0
2006 - 0
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 1
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 am

baseball wrote:When Bryce Drew hit that winner for Valpo to upset Ole Miss it was like they just won the national title. although they still put together a good celebration, aa 13 beating a 4 isnt as uncommon as it was in the past.

The ending made the celebration, not the upset.

George Mason over UConn and the 4 15s over 2s has to be right up there with "biggest upsets."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 am

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:When Bryce Drew hit that winner for Valpo to upset Ole Miss it was like they just won the national title. although they still put together a good celebration, aa 13 beating a 4 isnt as uncommon as it was in the past.

The ending made the celebration, not the upset.

I was referring tot he celebrations the teams put on now. heck...if I wouldve been Valpo I wouldve went crazy after that shot to, even if i were the higher seed.

I'll use Cornell this year as an example. while teams in the past celebrate 1st round upsets in post game interviews saying stuff like this is the greatest feeling in their life and they are on top of the world, Cornell walks in all business because they came into the tourney EXPECTING to win games. thats the mindset middle seeds now 6-10 seeds arent uncommon in the sweet 16 as much as they used to be.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

Well it's up there, off the top of my head some bigger ones

Duke beating UNLV in 91
Nova beating Gtown in 1985
Jimmy V, enough said
Texas Western beating Kentucky

Now I know that these seeds were all higher seeds, but the teams loosing on this list were supposed to walk through the tournament
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:38 pm

It's gotta be one of the biggest upsets of at least the last 15 years. I mean come on, yeah Northern Iowa was no slouch, but really, its Northern Iowa, you really think they get the same recruiting chances as a Duke, Kansas, UNC or Kentucky. When a mid major like that beats the number 1 team in the nation, that was supposed to walk through the tournament untouched its gotta be considered one of the top upsets of all time.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Heard a great song made up by somone today:

Farokhmanesh (clap-clap)
He's the best(clap-clap)
Farokhmanesh(clap-clap)
They do more with less

I thought it was pretty funny and applied to this topic.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:22 pm

The Schwab wrote:Well it's up there, off the top of my head some bigger ones

Duke beating UNLV in 91
Jimmy V, enough said

Now I know that these seeds were all higher seeds, but the teams loosing on this list were supposed to walk through the tournament

Kansas over Oklahoma in 88. I guess this makes up for it haha....Danny and the Miracles were given no chance to win the title (8 seed), yet pulled it off. what goes around comes around i guess.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:56 pm

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Well it's up there, off the top of my head some bigger ones

Duke beating UNLV in 91
Jimmy V, enough said

Kansas over Oklahoma in 88. I guess this makes up for it haha....Danny and the Miracles were given no chance to win the title (8 seed), yet pulled it off. what goes around comes around i guess.

Its not very big of an upset. UNI got screwed in the seeding. They had an RPI of 17 going into the tournament. It is a joke that the committee gave a #9 seed to the #17 RPI team based on what conference they are in. They should have at the very least been a #6 seed. Tennessee was a 14 RPI but got a 6 seed. the biggest joke on the seeding is the Notre Dame-Old Dominion game. Notre Dame was a 49 RPI but OD was a 27. Notre Dame got a 5 seed and OD got an 11. However OD righted the wrong by winning. The only reason there are so many upsets so early in the tournament is because the committee doesnt follow their own rule of thumb and use the RPI closer for seeding. OK State pulled an upset over GA Tech in the 7-10 game. RPI has OK State at 33 and GA Tech at 32. Probably should have been an 8-9 game instead. Bottom line its not a big upset.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:49 am

InTheKnow wrote:The only reason there are so many upsets so early in the tournament is because the committee doesnt follow their own rule of thumb and use the RPI closer for seeding.

thats where youre wrong. The committee does NOT use the RPI at all for deteremining seeds. its nothing more then something for fans to talk about....it plays no effect at all on the seeding. Its not a rule of thumb, but it should be.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:45 am

baseball wrote:thats where youre wrong. The committee does NOT use the RPI at all for deteremining seeds. its nothing more then something for fans to talk about....it plays no effect at all on the seeding. Its not a rule of thumb, but it should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_baske ... on_process
The selection committee uses a number of factors to place teams on the S-curve, including record, strength of schedule, the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), and a team's overall performance in recent games. The RPI rating is often considered a significant factor in selecting and seeding the final few teams in the tournament field, though the selection committee stresses that the RPI is used merely as a guideline and not as an infallible indicator of a team's worth.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:38 pm

When was that edited and what source? The chair of the committee said less then an hour after the field was announced this year that they dont use the RPI. it's a nice little stat to put teams in a category, but its not used for seeding.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:49 pm

that sentence also says that they use the performance in recent games. in the same interview the chairman said games in December mean just as much as games in February. they use the entire body of work and not just the last 10 games, or last month of a season
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:11 pm

The problem with wikipedia is anyone can write anything on there i could go on there and say they just pick 34 random teams from a hat and it would be on there.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:49 pm

exactly....thats why i asked what the source was.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:50 pm

UNI over Kansas wins ESPY for biggest upset of 2010.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things