MN VIKINGS 2006

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby 1337 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:08 am

NDSportsFan wrote: It was a fun game to watch.  They played a good game on a Monday night and came away with a hard fought victory.  It looks like Childress has been a great hire so far. He reminds me a lot of Bud Grant, but nobody else on here was probably was alive when he coached.  This is definetly not the high risk, high reward teams of the past we are used to seeing.  It's actually fun to watch them play defense again, not painful like it's been in the past. 

SportsFan I think that was a pretty spot on analysis. I hope they can keep it up!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby berry186 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:47 pm

i am watching the vikes game and i am wondering in the nfl what is a catch now that just cost them any chance of coming back
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:09 pm

They have/had no chance of making this a game against Patriots. Tom Brady is showing the Vikes why he is one of the best qb's in the league. Vikings offense is inept. No name receivers are making that defense look bad. could keep going but yeah just hands down stink against good teams.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:36 pm

keep in mind when i say this, i'm a big vikings fan...

vikings defense = smoke and mirrors

vikings offense = no smoke, no mirrors...no nothing
rep

Postby ndfan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:43 pm

Not a great night for Central grad Brooks Bollinger. Sacked 3 straight times and a INT.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:45 pm

fan line ought to be an experience in classic complaining tonight
rep

Postby DeuceTrey » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:46 pm

i think the vikings are slowly becoming the worst team in the nfl. they have no offense at all. im sorry brad johnson, but 2 and 3 yard dink passes on 3rd and 9 are not going to get you anywhere. little passes like that will maybe get you a first down every now and then, but they will not drive you down field and score touchdowns. and why isnt taylor running for over 150 yards a game with his billion dollar offensive line. the only way they can score is on special teams, but somehow they screw that up too (Pinner). Winfield is my hero after what he said last week. he was right, everyone knows what is coming next. they should just lose the rest of their games so they can draft a qb or a wr, like smith or quinn or ginn or johnson. anyone who will get this offense going so they dont have to punt 4 times a quarter.  at least the defense is decent. looks like griffin might become a special player in the future. better than smoot anyway.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:21 pm

The Vikes have so many problems its not even funny. Only bright spots on that team is at running back and d-line after that its not very good at all. They are gonna struggle to win the rest of their games this season, they will win a few but it's not gonna be easy. I really don't think Childress is any better of a coach then Tice was. I really don't see the vikes beating Miami next weekend either.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ping Pong » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:33 am

Packers Baby

haha how bad are the Vikings. They can't even beat the packers. wow
Ping Pong

Postby project-pat » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:36 am

Yeah, that's what i said back in August. Everyone was saying about how this was their year, and look where they are....losing 9-7 to the flippin packers. They aren't just working their way to the worst team, THEY ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL.
project-pat

Postby Ping Pong » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:50 pm

Packers Again! BAHAHAHHAHAHAHA Losers! how do u feel. Packers = super bowl perhaps hahaha. not the vikes!
Ping Pong

Postby huskers » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:16 pm

project-pat wrote:Yeah, that's what i said back in August. Everyone was saying about how this was their year, and look where they are....losing 9-7 to the flippin packers. They aren't just working their way to the worst team, THEY ARE THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL.

Honestly, probably one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read on here. I'm a diehard Viking fan and I never met one person who told me that Grandpa Brad was going to get us a Super Bowl and make this "our year." Yes, they have no offense and watching them playing is equivalent to watching paint dry, but they are not the worst team in the NFL. Have you watched the Oakland Raiders? The Detroit Lions? Also, it's not like getting swepy by the Pack is something to be ashamed of. Green Bay is currently looking at a playoff berth, or at least tied for 6th. However, the way they played in those two losses is grounds for embarassment.
Last edited by huskers on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huskers
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:44 am

Having a record like the packers and still having a shot at a playoff berth is nothing to be happy about. That just shows how good the NFC is
project-pat

Postby rep » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:37 pm

i don't believe the packers have beat a team with a winning record yet this season...their success is a by-product of losing a ton last year. that said, if the vikes are in green bay's situation next year, i'll take it...playoffs are playoffs...doesn't matter how you make it, just what you do with it.
rep

Postby ndfan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:04 pm

Hey rep how many teams have the vikings beat that are above .500?? :) Only team I can see right now is Seattle and they might be .500 at the end of the year.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:12 pm

ndfan wrote:Hey rep how many teams have the vikings beat that are above .500?? :) Only team I can see right now is Seattle and they might be .500 at the end of the year.

i'll have you know that the vikings defeated baltimore 30-7 in one of the more one-sided games the nfl preseason has ever seen.

going through the games that matter, the vikes beat:

washington, carolina, detroit, seattle, cardinals, detroit.

something else to consider...the vikes lose to carolina if the panthers don't do that stupid throw-back with a lead in the fourth quarter and the vikes lose to seattle if hasselback and alexander aren't on the shelf.

but at least minnesota swept detroit...somewhere stan retew is cursing and that makes me smile
rep

Postby Ping Pong » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:04 pm

rep y do u have a lombardi quote and stand up for the vikes?

Ping Pong

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:09 pm

how is any team going to win when its 3rd and 8 and they throw a 2 yard dump pass????
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:13 pm

Ping Pong wrote:rep y do u have a lombardi quote and stand up for the vikes?

i love lombardi...loved his thoughts on the game. i thought he was more than just a coach...he was an ambassador for the game and did things the right way.

i'm a vikings fan because growing up, i was pretty sure there were only two things in the nfl...walter payton and the vikings. when i got a little older, i figured out there more teams, but the groundwork was already laid.

love the nfc central, hate the nfc north (which has been painful to watch the last couple of years).

i cheer for the bears and the vikes (though i can't stand dome teams in general) and tolerate the lions and am midly disgusted by the packers. i think that if favre retired i would probably be able to tolerate them.
rep

Postby andy_7 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:30 am

If the vikes lose this weekend to the Rams, they are gaurentee'd a top ten pick.  What/ or who do you think they should draft?  Would they take another risk and take a wideout or should they sure up there defense?
Last edited by andy_7 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy_7

Postby rep » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:19 am

my two cents:

offense - maybe they should draft some smoke...maybe a mirror...anything would help...letting m-rob go a game before the regular season ends wasn't too bright in my opinion. i've also heard rumors that rock hands (speedy troy) will either be traded or released in the offseason. personally i'd try and get ginn or johnson and move troy to the slot - it not cool that a no. 1 pick would be just a slot receiver, but at this point you have to try and get some kind of production out of him versus just releasing him. maybe they could trade him for 30 pounds of ham or something...at least cut the cost of a team function down the road.

qb - no real need to draft anyone here with tarvaras and brooksie more than likely back next year. maybe this year is just a fluke with brad...personally i think he's done, but maybe he needed a year to adjust to the shortest passing game in nfl history.

rb - for the love of god, draft a feature-back and quit trying to nickle and dime teams with either a committee appraoch or a backup posing as a starter.

wr - i would love to see teddy ginn jr or calvin johnson taken with the first pick.

te - not a clue, usually these guys seperate themselves in the senior bowl(s) though.

ol - that bad mamma jamma from wisconsin would be an all right addition, but i don't think he'll be around in the second round.

Defense - i go back and forth if the vikes' defense is good or not. they eliminate the run, but are miserable against the pass. does that make them good? i don't really know. d-line is one of the best in the nfl against the run, but it would be nice to get a consistent pass rush off the end. linebackers are average to the league and with getting greenway back next year, i really don't know if that is a pressing need going into the draft. dbacks...you can never have enough...you are just one wrong twist of the knee on that blasted turf from needing another one...plus they make good special teamers.

dl - not a clue.

lb - as i said, i don't know if they will even think of going with a lb in the draft...greenway is back, they just gave e.j. a 5 year deal (or maybe it was a 5 million extension...5 was in there somewhere i think, either way a total waste of money, but if he could get the mental part of the game could turn out to be okay)...i've been pleasantly suprised by leber.

db - love the cornerbacks. antoine is solid and griffith (or griffin...whichever, i can never remember his name, the kid from texas) is a stud and should probably make sure that smoot is nothing more than a nickleback if he stays in minnesota. i don't have a problem with that...most teams are in a nickle or dime 50 percent of the time anyway. not too keen on the safeties...wouldn't mind an upgrade at either one.

Last edited by rep on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby project-pat » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:36 am

i hate people who make excuses for not making the playoffs by saying "Oh well, at least they get a better draft pick. I was actually rooting for a loss"
project-pat

Postby rep » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:40 am

project-pat wrote:i hate people who make excuses for not making the playoffs by saying "Oh well, at least they get a better draft pick. I was actually rooting for a loss"

anymore i think it is pretty tough to build a team with consistent top 10 picks...they end up demanding so much money that unless you get a really good player, they never actually 'earn' how much they make...esspecially when you start factoring in the cap...i look at mario williams and am pretty much shocked that a defensive end would get a 40-50 million dollar contract...that kind of money makes sure they can't sign a top-flight qb/ol down the road which is probably what they will need. i like david carr, but his body probably won't let him play too many more years and they still don't have a great o-line.
rep

Postby Ming01 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:37 pm

project-pat wrote:i hate people who make excuses for not making the playoffs by saying "Oh well, at least they get a better draft pick. I was actually rooting for a loss"

yeah i hate that too.  I always hear that cuz I know tons of ppl who like the vikings, packers, and lions, not so much the packers this year though.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cardinal10 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:33 pm

Been a Vikes fan for a long time, but the last 3 years have been painful.  In my eyes they need 5 things to get over the hump. #1-More ingenuity in playcalling, #2-a Right tackle, #3-a pass rushing DE, #4-one more good DB, #5-a gamebreaking WR.  If they can do this they will be 10-6 next year.  It's easy to be optimistic at this time of the year when you're not in the playoffs.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things