MN VIKINGS 2006

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 pm

Okay, so what did everyone think of the vikes tonight? I was bartending all nite so I got to watch most of it. I thought Tarvaris Jackson handled himself very well being a rookie. I want to see him handle the first string, though. The Defense was really strong all the way around, but they really need some work on special teams. Although after the opening return, the "new" return man did very well.
Last edited by NATURAL TALENT on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:27 am

just to let you know....I HATE THE VIKINGS WITH A PASSION. I hate living in a part of a country where all you see is vikings, vikings, vikings. They are terrible and all everyone ever talks about is how this is gonna be their year. And, when it's over "oh, there's always next year" All vikings fan's have is "NEXT YEAR." Pretty soon, you guys are gonna have to realize that, no year is ever gonna be "Their year." The sooner you guys get that in your head, the easier it is gonna be for everybody.
project-pat

Postby rep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 am

project-pat wrote:just to let you know....I HATE THE VIKINGS WITH A PASSION. I hate living in a part of a country where all you see is vikings, vikings, vikings. They are terrible and all everyone ever talks about is how this is gonna be their year. And, when it's over "oh, there's always next year" All vikings fan's have is "NEXT YEAR." Pretty soon, you guys are gonna have to realize that, no year is ever gonna be "Their year." The sooner you guys get that in your head, the easier it is gonna be for everybody.

i love these kind of responses...they normally come from people that used to like the vikings, but the vikes didn't win enough, so they jumped ship. that's right quitter, get off my bandwagon.  i need some more foot room.
rep

Postby project-pat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:14 am

yeah rep. your right. I "used" to be a vikings fan. the truth is...I NEVER WAS A VIKINGS FAN. I was raised to hate the vikings and that's what I do. They don't just lose. They raise it to an art form:headsmack:. I wonder how the vikings will find a way to choke this year. I bet they're discussing it right now. Vikings fans are so pathetic.:bang:

i love watching the vikes get throttled.:buttkick:

GO BRONCOS:banana:
project-pat

Postby rep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am

project-pat wrote:GO BRONCOS:banana:

ah...suddenly it all makes sense
rep

Postby project-pat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:31 am

Just answer me one thing...how many super bowls have the vikings won? pretty big number huh?
project-pat

Postby rep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:49 am

project-pat wrote:Just answer me one thing...how many super bowls have the vikings won? pretty big number huh?

yup. they have lost just as many as the broncos i believe.

rep

Postby project-pat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:52 am

touchey. but................................the broncos also have 2 wins. So, the broncos got your precious vikings there.
project-pat

Postby rep » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:03 am

project-pat wrote:touchey. but................................the broncos also have 2 wins. So, the broncos got your precious vikings there.

i used to like the broncos...used to feel like they were the vikings of the afc. good team that just took some lumps. but they won a super bowl and suddenly years of being called a soft team and under achievers are forgotten. eh...i have a hard time forgetting about it because i remember wanting to jump off a bridge as the broncos were getting taken apart by timmy smith and the washington redskins. friggin timmy smith.

but realistically, cheering for a team in the nfl anymore is pointless. the league is too fluid to even really get caught up in it. 15-20 years ago, championships and championship teams used to mean something. anymore, the superbowl is a glorified regular season game (at least that is how it feels when i watch it) and winning a super bowl, to me, is over rated.  
rep

Postby project-pat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:08 am

touchey. that is a well put statement. I couldn't of said it better myself
project-pat

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 pm

which i why i stick to college:D.  All the NFL players want is moeny, in college you can see the passion and can tell they play for more than just themselves.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:10 am

i agree with that also. I love turning on the tv on saturdays and watching College Gameday on ESPN. And watching the sheer emotion from those fans. There is so much love and passion for their schools. The classic college rivalry is one of the greatest things in sports. They dont play for money, they play for pride.
project-pat

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:37 am

My post got hijacked by viking haters. Cant you guys curse the vikings on another topic? I've always like the vikes, bad season, average season, good season, I've always watched them. Dont get me wrong, college football is great to watch but Im a follower of Minnesota pro sports teams, always will be.  Which reminds me, go Twins, only 2 games back!
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:39 am

personally i tune into gameday for people who actually know what they are talking about. the nfl is getting to the point where the same stories are just puked up and recycled time after time. the majority of the people covering the nfl now are either just old players who talk about what the league was like when they played (which i don't find horrible, just repetitive) or they thow out a couple of people that only know what coaches tell them (anymore, not much).

the college football plane is always changing, but guys like herbstreit are always out there pounding out stories and introducing you to new players and stories. unlike abc, espn doesn't just cover the top 10 or 15 colleges, so you actually get exposed to a wide array of players. personally i think the only thing that espn does a good job with is college football and maybe college basketball (but for the most part they generally only cover the big conferences in primetime slots while on saturday's you can watch the u of indiana take on northwestern or other lower-teir programs play).
rep

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:36 pm

Which is why college athletics is the greatest thing on earth.  The only thing i dont like about college is the Rafftery guy doing Big Mondays.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby DeuceTrey » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:24 pm

i agree with rep. every time i watch a vikes game its always the same stories, how will the vikes do without culpepper and moss, johnson is a proven qb but is too old, know one knows about jackson and if he will be good, hutchinson is getting a lot of money and the left side is "one of the best in football". its the same every single time. i love the vikes, but its almost getting to the point where i dont want to watch anymore because of the announcers. kornheisers a joke, and the only good commentator out there is madden, and even he is a little weird sometimes. i want to hear about the younger guys on the team making an impact, or about possition battles and how thats going. i want to hear about anything other than what i already know. its like they are broadcasting to people who dont know anything about football and dont follow the news, and just decide to watch monday night football eveyweek. give me a break. put someone else on the air.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:45 pm

[user=846]DeuceTrey[/user] wrote:
i agree with rep. every time i watch a vikes game its always the same stories, how will the vikes do without culpepper and moss, johnson is a proven qb but is too old, know one knows about jackson and if he will be good, hutchinson is getting a lot of money and the left side is "one of the best in football". its the same every single time. i love the vikes, but its almost getting to the point where i dont want to watch anymore because of the announcers. kornheisers a joke, and the only good commentator out there is madden, and even he is a little weird sometimes. i want to hear about the younger guys on the team making an impact, or about possition battles and how thats going. i want to hear about anything other than what i already know. its like they are broadcasting to people who dont know anything about football and dont follow the news, and just decide to watch monday night football eveyweek. give me a break. put someone else on the air.

I'm a Cowboys fan and I'm getting sick and tired already about the commentators with their opinions on T.O. . Ok its known that 95% of the commentators don't like him but get over it. They make a big deal out of preseason and practice. Who cares, if he doesn't get the job done on Sundays when it matters then criticize all ya want. I agree would love to hear them talk about other things then the same 2 or 3 things each week. Can't wait tell week one.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby kvrnm » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:53 pm

project-pat wrote:just to let you know....I HATE THE VIKINGS WITH A PASSION. I hate living in a part of a country where all you see is vikings, vikings, vikings. They are terrible and all everyone ever talks about is how this is gonna be their year. And, when it's over "oh, there's always next year" All vikings fan's have is "NEXT YEAR." Pretty soon, you guys are gonna have to realize that, no year is ever gonna be "Their year." The sooner you guys get that in your head, the easier it is gonna be for everybody.

hahaha, that is so tru
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:08 pm

The defense looked great, this year there is talent at every position.  Should be quite a switch from the past few years. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:42 pm

Be interesting to see if the Vikings do anything with Dwight Smith after his actions this past weekend. Vikings organization said they won't stand for that crap after what happened on the boat last season. He should be going right behind Koren Robinson.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby DeuceTrey » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:47 pm

I dont think the Vikes will release Smith. What he did doesnt should not be compaired to Robinson. Players get cited for things like that all the time. Robinson was only with the team under the impression that he would stay sober and out of trouble, and the second he went against that, he was gone. Plus they have people behind Robinson, if they let Smith go, the only person they have left is Willie Offord. I dont think it would be wise to let Smith go.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Yeah I wasn't comparing what Smith did to Robinson, hopefully KR can get some help with his addiction. Who was the last player to get cited for indecent exposure that hasn't been a Minnesota Viking. They are still trying to get past the whole boat scandal, they have a nice win against the Ravens, and they aren't talking about win in Minnesota it's about what Dwight Smith did and thats not good.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby nd-ball41 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:25 pm

Last pre-season game ends in a 10-10 tie with the Dallas Cowboys. Not a very good offensive production game by either team.
nd-ball41

Postby DeuceTrey » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:35 pm

the vikes have a pretty decent chance for an opening night win. portis will see limited playing time, and its not like the redskins offense did anything in the preseason. i dont see any reason why the vikes dont start the season on a high note on national tv in their cool(?) new jerseys. 
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:42 pm

It was a fun game to watch.  They played a good game on a Monday night and came away with a hard fought victory.  It looks like Childress has been a great hire so far. He reminds me a lot of Bud Grant, but nobody else on here was probably was alive when he coached.  This is definetly not the high risk, high reward teams of the past we are used to seeing.  It's actually fun to watch them play defense again, not painful like it's been in the past. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things