Final four picks...

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Final four picks...

Postby baseball » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Season's about the start. Men's Final Four....who ya got?

Mine:
Kansas - Champion
Texas
Michigan State
Purdue

Big 12 vs. Big 10
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Re: Final four picks...

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:14 pm

I'll take Kansas, Duke, Purdue, and Kentucky
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:11 am

baseball wrote:Season's about the start. Men's Final Four....who ya got?

Mine:
Kansas - Champion
Texas
Michigan State
Purdue

Big 12 vs. Big 10

thats exactly what i got... except i like Michigan State over Kansas for the ship
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:42 am

Ming01 wrote:except i like Michigan State over Kansas for the ship

How ridiculous! haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 am

Michigan State
Villanova
Purdue
Kansas
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndpreps09 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Kansas
Michigan St.
Duke
Ohio State-Champions
ndpreps09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 am

I'm not sure if they're good enough to a favorite to get to the Final Four, but Syracuse has looked awfully good the last two nights in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. I thought this would be a semi down year after losing Flynn, Devendorf, and Harris, but they seem to be solid. dude Vitale said in the broadcast they are better than last years team that lost in the sweet 16. Onuaku and Jackson are beasts down low, but they don't have any players off the bench that can score in the post, well none that get to play. Rautins can obviously light it up at the 2 and transfer Wesley Johnson is a flat out stud. Triche and Jardine are replacing Flynn at the point and so far doing a good job. Supposedly, this is the best defensive team they've had in years with the added length at the 1, 2, and 3 spots.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby i am legend » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 am

Here are my picks:
1. Syracuse- has looked extremely impressive, and they have good big guys and great guard play, and a hall of fame coach.

2.butler- The final 4 is pretty much in their backyard this year and they have the talent to do it, and their team is full of sophmores and juniors so they will be a force for the next couple of years.

3.Kansas- just two much talent not to make it at least this far, great big man in aldrich and collins is super guard.

4.Kentucky- With paterson, wall, and cousins they have tons of talent and some veterans who'll help the freshman to mature.

National championship
kentucky over syracuse
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby squatch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:10 pm

I think that Kentucky and Kansas are almost atomatic bids into the Final Four and the other two spots are up for grabs...
squatch
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:13 pm

squatch wrote:I think that Kentucky and Kansas are almost atomatic bids into the Final Four and the other two spots are up for grabs...

Almost automatic bids? I dont think I'd go that far, Kentucky relies on a lot of freshman, and Kansas is good, but upsets happen.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:25 pm

The Schwab wrote:
squatch wrote:I think that Kentucky and Kansas are almost atomatic bids into the Final Four and the other two spots are up for grabs...

Almost automatic bids? I dont think I'd go that far, Kentucky relies on a lot of freshman, and Kansas is good, but upsets happen.

Schwab...this isnt so much a reply to you specificly, but more of an expanded thought on what you said.

I wouldn't say automatic bids, but by putting almost before it, I have to agree. I was questioning some of the rankings to have them that high with that many freshman relied on to play big roles, but I was proved wrong so far. Wall is a stud. Cousins and Patterson are beasts on the block. and Dodson can fill it up. They have alot of turnovers now, but 2nd semester they will have that corrected and will fully understand the dribble drive motion offense Calipari uses.

As for Kansas, its no secret where my heart lies with that one haha, but if you dont think they are the number one team in the country you dont know basketball. Henry has far surpassed what i expected from him this early in the year. Collins is playing the best basketball he has his whole career, numbers are down but more importantly so are the TO's. Aldrich hasnt even gotten to play yet for the most part. Expect them to give him the ball a ton more in the 2nd semester and not be as 3 happy as they have been. The part that excites me is there defense will only get better. by putting another 7 footer (Withey) and the best perimeter defeneder (Morningstar) in the lineup next semester as well. I truely do think this team has the potential to go 40-0. the only regular season games that scare me is @Texas and @Oklahoma State (not because they are good, but Kansas has never played well there).
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:04 pm

UNC
Ohio State
Kansas
Texas
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:41 pm

cubsfan wrote:UNC
Ohio State
Kansas
Texas

For ohio state's sake, I sur ehope Evan Turner comes back healthy.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 pm

I think it's still a little to early to judge teams. And yeah, there's no automatic bids come march madness. Teams get hot, upsets happen, injuries, too many things can happen. And yeah Kansas is obviously the fav at the moment, but i''m not entirely sold on Kentucky yet. They have struggled against some teams they should have pounded. But again, it's too early for that.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 pm

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Schwab...this isnt so much a reply to you specificly, but more of an expanded thought on what you said.

I wouldn't say automatic bids, but by putting almost before it, I have to agree. I was questioning some of the rankings to have them that high with that many freshman relied on to play big roles, but I was proved wrong so far. Wall is a stud. Cousins and Patterson are beasts on the block. and Dodson can fill it up. They have alot of turnovers now, but 2nd semester they will have that corrected and will fully understand the dribble drive motion offense Calipari uses.

As for Kansas, its no secret where my heart lies with that one haha, but if you dont think they are the number one team in the country you dont know basketball. Henry has far surpassed what i expected from him this early in the year. Collins is playing the best basketball he has his whole career, numbers are down but more importantly so are the TO's. Aldrich hasnt even gotten to play yet for the most part. Expect them to give him the ball a ton more in the 2nd semester and not be as 3 happy as they have been. The part that excites me is there defense will only get better. by putting another 7 footer (Withey) and the best perimeter defeneder (Morningstar) in the lineup next semester as well. I truely do think this team has the potential to go 40-0. the only regular season games that scare me is @Texas and @Oklahoma State (not because they are good, but Kansas has never played well there).

I understand that Kansas is one of the favorites this season. But even an almost automatic bid for the final four? WHat have they proven so far? Yeah whoopdy doo, they have killed every team they have played. But really, i s that even that impressive? We are talking about Hofstra, Memphis, Central Arkansas, Oakland, Tennessee Tech, Alcorn State, UCLA and Radford. They have not played one team ranked in the top 25. Let alone probably even the top 50, maybe Memphis. The entire season they play TWO teams that will be ranked in the top 25 all year. Unless you want to count Texas A&M who will likely drop out. So really.... what has Kansas proven, to give people the notion that they are an automatic final four team? Because they beat NDSU and Dayton last year to get to the Sweet Sixteen? I agree that they have a good chance to make the final four. But to say they are an automatic bid when they haven't proven anything is ridiculous.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:45 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:I understand that Kansas is one of the favorites this season. But even an almost automatic bid for the final four? WHat have they proven so far? Yeah whoopdy doo, they have killed every team they have played. But really, i s that even that impressive? We are talking about Hofstra, Memphis, Central Arkansas, Oakland, Tennessee Tech, Alcorn State, UCLA and Radford. They have not played one team ranked in the top 25. Let alone probably even the top 50, maybe Memphis. The entire season they play TWO teams that will be ranked in the top 25 all year. Unless you want to count Texas A&M who will likely drop out. So really.... what has Kansas proven, to give people the notion that they are an automatic final four team? Because they beat NDSU and Dayton last year to get to the Sweet Sixteen? I agree that they have a good chance to make the final four. But to say they are an automatic bid when they haven't proven anything is ridiculous.

Hoftra - 46
Memphis - 2
Cent Arkansas - 50
Oakland - 30
Tenn Tech - 37
Alcorn - 67...proved in this game they have another level. coaches start talkin trash to the players..pretty soon its a 36-0 run.
UCLA - 12...played like sin but the game was never in doubt and they still won by double digits @ Pauley. first true road game, always an adventure no matter who you are.
Radford - 35

They are winning by 35PPG, proved in both the UCLA and Memphis game that they can win in teh half court and Self doest even put in a half court set until Xmas break when he gets them for 2 practices a day for 2 weeks. Giving up 55 PPG and their defense will only get better with the return of Morningstar and addition of Withey. 2 deep at every position, 3 at some.

Memphis will be a top 25 team at the end of the year. Michigan and Cal will be good games to get a better measurement where they are. @temple and @TEnnessee will also be battles.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:I think it's still a little to early to judge teams. And yeah, there's no automatic bids come march madness. Teams get hot, upsets happen, injuries, too many things can happen. And yeah Kansas is obviously the fav at the moment, but i''m not entirely sold on Kentucky yet. They have struggled against some teams they should have pounded. But again, it's too early for that.

Kentucky earned a little more of my respect beating UCONN. They are very young, but very talented. John Wall is a second coming of Derrick Rose.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:15 pm

duke_boy90 wrote: John Wall is a second coming of Derrick Rose.

John Wall > Derrick Rose
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 pm

baseball wrote:

John Wall > Derrick Rose

I bet you that Wall at least took his OWN SAT test!!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:30 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
baseball wrote:

John Wall > Derrick Rose

I bet you that Wall at least took his OWN SAT test!!

He probably broke into someones house and stole their test results...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Texas - CHAMPS
Kansas
Kentucky
Connecticut
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Here's my predictions:

Kansas- They return their top 8 or 9 scorers off of a good team from last year. Add the diaper dandy Henry in there plus Collins's improvement and you got a team just like last years North Carolina squad.

Texas- With Pittman down low being a monster, James doing everything one can think of, and two great freshman guards, they look very impressive so far.

Last two spots are a mystery. I see a few people have picked Ohio State and one guy threw Butler out there. Butler will not make the elite eight nonetheless the final four. Howard cant make a layup, their guards are average, and Hayward is their only offensive weapon. The only ranked team they beat was a Ohio State team without their best player and they barely one. Plus, Ohio State looked awful that game. Even if Turner comes back healthy, no way Ohio State does anything in the tourney.

With that said, here are some teams that could compete for the last two spots:

Syracuse- Will have some problems scoring in the Big East but with their length in that stiffling 2-3 zone they will be tough.

West Virginia- Ebanks and Butler are looking oustanding and if they can hit the open 3( something they've have trouble with in the past) they will make some noise. Also, I think they'll be hungry to avenge that opening round loss to Dayton last year. Thanks guys, way to wreck my bracket...

Kentucky-Wall and Blesode are just ridiculous and with Patterson down low, they'll be right there. Calipari will have them ready to play come tourney time.

Villanova- Reyndols is the most underrated player in the country (and maybe the best). Jay Wright is an awesome coach and they'll do some damage.

North Carolina- Don't have a star but their really athletic like always and Roy Williams is just such a great coach that they will be there.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Indy5 wrote: and Roy Williams is just such a great coach that they will be there.

Coach or recruiter??

Just a few numbers for you. Since the 01-02 seascon, Roy Williams teams are 246-52 (.825 winning percentage). in games that his teams score less then 80 points he is 60-33 (.645). games they score 80+, he is 186-19 (.907). teams that he coaches cant win low scoring games. 03-04 season was the only season he wasnt able to coach players he recruited, instead he had a team built for him. coincidentally, this was the only year he won less then 20 games...19-11. 05-06, was the year his whole team basically bolted for the NBA and he went 23-8. those were the only 2 years this decade he didnt win 30 games. good coaches can win ugly games. Roy Williams, like John Calipari, is a recruiter who turns loose his players and alot of times they win by just being more talented. he has always struggled in low scoring/close games.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:17 pm

Ok but being a great recruiter is part of being a great coach
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:00 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote: and Roy Williams is just such a great coach that they will be there.

Coach or recruiter??

Just a few numbers for you. Since the 01-02 seascon, Roy Williams teams are 246-52 (.825 winning percentage). in games that his teams score less then 80 points he is 60-33 (.645). games they score 80+, he is 186-19 (.907). teams that he coaches cant win low scoring games. 03-04 season was the only season he wasnt able to coach players he recruited, instead he had a team built for him. coincidentally, this was the only year he won less then 20 games...19-11. 05-06, was the year his whole team basically bolted for the NBA and he went 23-8. those were the only 2 years this decade he didnt win 30 games. good coaches can win ugly games. Roy Williams, like John Calipari, is a recruiter who turns loose his players and alot of times they win by just being more talented. he has always struggled in low scoring/close games.

He must be doing something besides throwing five super athletic guys out on the court. Even if you have the superior team you need a game plan which is put together by your coach.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things