Vikings Vs. 49ers

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Vikings Vs. 49ers

Postby gobison#6 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

How about that pass from Favre to Lewis to end the game.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Re: Vikings Vs. 49ers

Postby theman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:40 pm

gobison#6 wrote:How about that pass from Favre to Lewis to end the game.

Amazing
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 pm

theman wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:How about that pass from Favre to Lewis to end the game.

Amazing

definitely
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 pm

better question...

how about that catch by Lewis on the pass from Favre. IMO Favre is getting way to much credit for that play....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:33 pm

baseball wrote:better question...

how about that catch by Lewis on the pass from Favre. IMO Favre is getting way to much credit for that play....

The way I look at it, it took Favre to put that drive together. Favre deserves a lot of the credit to even put us 32 yds from the endzone and extend the play and throw a catchable ball. I don't think he is getting "too much" credit. I however do agree that Lewis deserves as much credit. He doesn't make that near impossible catch (and get 2 feet in) and we aren't talking about this at all.

Best question.....

How improbable of a headline was this 3 years ago, a year ago or even a couple short months ago. "Vikings Brett Favre to Greg Lewis to win the game in the final seconds against the 49ers"

Think of all the things that happened that lead to that play. Favre signs with Vikes. Vikes cut Wade. Vikes sign Greg Lewis(I had no idea who this guy was) Lewis is active for his first game. Darius Reynaud gets hurt. Percy Harvin plays 14(could be wrong) plays in a row and needs a breath. Lewis comes in for his only 4th play of the game. Favre actual is mobile in the pocket and buys time, and flings a bomb to a streakin purple jersey not having any idea who it is. Lewis makes an impossible catch and gets both feet in. The refs call it a touchdown. The booth does not overturn the call. haha ok now Im just rambling but IMO it was the most improbable yet perfect way to start Favre the VIking's career at the Dome.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 am

I didnt say Favre doesnt deserve credit..i jsut said IMO he's getting too much credit for THAT play. you said it best that he just "flings a bomb, not knowing who it is". Then Lewis looks like the BK guy in the old commercials and comes out of nowhere to make a great play. Favre gets credit for keeping the play alive...but that catch was unreal. It's like any hail mary....who knows the guy who caught Doug Flutie's hail mary against Miami? Flutie gets all the credit for all the defenders lying in wait wiffing while trying to bat it down and the ball falls into the receivers hands.

I'm honestly not sure what to think aobut Favre. he's one of the all-time greats, yea, but he is also the QB who has thrown the most INT's in the history of the NFL. people always say stuff like he only has that many picks becase he's played so long and so many straight games. but on the other hand dont waste time saying he's the greatest ever because he's thrown the most TD's, which works the same way....you play that long TD's will add up. I believe Marino is by far the best QB to ever play the game.

none the less....great play haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:41 am

I know you didn't say "favre doesnt deserve credit. nobody is accusing you of that. Im just saying Lewis deserves to get as much praise as Favre is receiving. Main reason they are both wearing purple, Any time you're praising a Viking I love it. haha. jk. Honestly Im ok with the amount of praise Favre is getting and Im willing to say that Greg Lewis deserves probably a bit more but they both deserve a high amount of praise.

Just another side point ESPN has the E first in their name for a reason. At their company Entertainment comes before Sports. They are in the business of attracting attention. This also goes for almost all news outlets reporting sports(and other thigns for that matter). They want people to tune in, or click the link or buy the paper. Lets be honest, the average person(not talkin about the guys who know the ins and outs of every league) outside of the NFCN isnt gonna check out a story that says "Lewis with game winning catch" but they will click a link or stay tuned to see a story entitled "Favre Heroics". Im not saying its right just sayin thats why Favre's name is in all the headlines. Homer Fans to Haters and all the undecided and people with minimal interest are gonna check out those articles.

I think the real fans know just how amazing of a catch that was that Greg Lewis made and really thats all that matters.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Milkman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:50 am

baseball wrote:
I'm honestly not sure what to think aobut Favre. he's one of the all-time greats, yea, but he is also the QB who has thrown the most INT's in the history of the NFL. people always say stuff like he only has that many picks becase he's played so long and so many straight games. but on the other hand dont waste time saying he's the greatest ever because he's thrown the most TD's, which works the same way....you play that long TD's will add up. I believe Marino is by far the best QB to ever play the game.

none the less....great play haha

I agree with you here. Favre has the ability to make things happen but at a high risk. Im feeling better and better about him being the Vikings QB as the season goes on. Thusfar he has only done what he has had to do to help the team win and the rest of the team has done their part. As long as he plays his role in the offensive scheme I feel confident. A QB with experience and leadership qualities is something that the VIkings have lacked for a long time now. As long as AP does his thing, Favre throws those short slants to keep the D a little bit honest, and Favre keeps the huddle calm in tough situations I like our offense.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Milkman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:43 am

baseball, here's a little Lewis love.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... y-or-lewis

I count 5 mentions of Lewis to Favre's one. Heck they even say he is telepathic. Thats pretty sweet. Lewis gettin some love and has super hero powers. Look out NFCN we got Purple Jesus, Brett "the legend" Favre and Greg "Mentok the mindtaker" Lewis.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:18 pm

That article is just dumb. guy makes one catch in 3 games so they criticize the Pats for keeping Galloway over him? plus, I dont see your point in showing me that article in thinking it gives more credit to Lewis then Favre. the reason he was mentioned more times then Favre was because it was an article about how the Pats cut him over Galloway...wasnt an article about the game and/or play.

Here's an article actually about that game...Favre - 17 times, Lewis - 4 times....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 am

Calm down, it was just a joke. Just a little fun OK

I understand a lot of the points you are making. The one point I want to make is what that play meant to the Viking Nation and Brett as our QB. It was quite significant in building the teams confidence. And you have to admit that was one h.e.l.l. of a throw. Not any QB could have placed that pass. It was put where only Lewis could have caught it. Lewis held up his end and caught a lazer of a pass, no discredit to him.

I'm more intrigued by the circumstances that put Lewis on the field to make that catch and the crazy storyline created by all involved. I still don't understand the need to play down anyones involvement in the play Brett Favre included. Then again I'm just a stupid Viking homer and don't need to prove my sports intelligence by playing devils advocate in all situations.

PS the article was just a token joke to lighten up the convo, I didnt expect it to recitify the lack of praise for Greg Lewis

happy? seriously get a sense of humor and maybe read through the entire comment and try and get a feel for the post. I respect your knowledge of sports. Im not going to contest that. Im talking about super powers and pointless articles. Did you really think I thought that article was significant credit for the win Greg Lewis provided us???????

GREG LEWIS MADE THE BEST CATCH OF THE WEEK AND SAVED THE VIKINGS FROM A LOSS with help from some qb. <--------happy?

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:09 pm

baseball wrote:better question...

True when i worded my question i meant the whole play not just the pass or just the catch. the whole play was pretty amazing.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Milk I;m not upset about anything...just stated my opinion it was a dumb article. they were blaming New England for cutting a guy after he makes one amazing catch, his only catch of the season, instead they keep the steady vet who brings leadership to a locker room, plus he has more catches.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hunterlaf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 am

u mean the farves won it
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things