Best ever Athlete from Each County in ND

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Best ever Athlete from Each County in ND

Postby BB11 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:08 am

They are running this topic on every Friday on, I believe the KFYR radio station, and I thought it was kind of an interesting subject. 53 counties in ND - can we nail down the top one from each county.
I'll start with a few.
Foster County - Jim Kleinsasser - Carrington - NFL - Vikings
Towner County - Dave Osbourne - Cando - NFL-Vikings
Wells County - Travis Haffner - Sykeston - MLB - Indians
McKenzie County - Fred Fridley - Watford City - all-around great athlete
Williams County - Hunter Berg - Grenora - Possibly greatest offensive point guard in Class B history - I know their would be a strong case for Phil here though as well.
Pembina County - Todd Olson - Cavalier - 3rd leading scorer in Class B basketball history. Not really a great athlete per se - but the best shooter I've ever seen in my life.
Bowman County - Tanya Fischer - Bowman - 1st female on my list - but probably the most dominant girls B-ball player in Class B history.

This is just a starting point - many will disagree with these and have their own versions. Let the debate begin.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Re: Best ever Athlete from Each County in ND

Postby baseball » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:34 am

Kidder County would have to be either Mark Bakkum or Ross Argent. I'd give the nod to Bakkum just because he excelled at 3 sports, Mr. BBall candidate and Lions All-Star, All-region football player the 3 years he played, Sr Athlete of the Year in Baseball with a State Championship.

Scott Wolff could also be considered but im not sure if he was from Wing or Tuttle. but again I would still go with Mark because of his body of work in more then one sport.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:23 am

Dickey County- Pete Retzlaff, Ellendale-NFL, Eagles, Ring of Honor for Eagles or Phil Hansen from Oakes- played for the Buffalo Bills in the 90's.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:54 am

Benson County - Jason Haagenson, 4 sport athlete. Top 5 in scoring in ND bball history with over 2300 pts, 2 time all state fball player, state champ in javelin with a state record throw (I think its been broken since, tho), and an excellent baseball player (high school never had baseball so only played legion). Played fball and baseball at Jamestown College.

Ramsey County - Steve Blehm? Durene Heisler? I'm sure there's others you could make an argument for, just not up on all the athletes since DL is class A.

Pierce County - Vance Bowersox from Wolford? Led them to a couple state tourneys in the 60s. I know Rugby had a very good bball player from the 50s or 60s that led them to a state championship, can't place his name tho. Any others?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:20 pm

I'd take Brady Trenbeath over Olson for Pembina county. Trenbeath was class AA player of the year in football, Class B player of the year in basketball, and if not for a neck injury believe he would have been the class B senior player of the year also.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:56 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Benson County - Jason Haagenson, 4 sport athlete. Top 5 in scoring in ND bball history with over 2300 pts, 2 time all state fball player, state champ in javelin with a state record throw (I think its been broken since, tho), and an excellent baseball player (high school never had baseball so only played legion). Played fball and baseball at Jamestown College.

Ramsey County - Steve Blehm? Durene Heisler? I'm sure there's others you could make an argument for, just not up on all the athletes since DL is class A.

Pierce County - Vance Bowersox from Wolford? Led them to a couple state tourneys in the 60s. I know Rugby had a very good bball player from the 50s or 60s that led them to a state championship, can't place his name tho. Any others?

Paul Presthus was the guy from Rugby - they were Class A during his days, and he is the 4th leading scorer in Class A history with 1715 points. Actually Justin Keller from Rugby is the leading scorer in Rugby's history with 47 more points than Presthus. I would agree with you on Blehm and Haagenson.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:02 am

ndfan wrote:I'd take Brady Trenbeath over Olson for Pembina county. Trenbeath was class AA player of the year in football, Class B player of the year in basketball, and if not for a neck injury believe he would have been the class B senior player of the year also.

Yeah, I thought about Brady for this as well. Brady was definitely a better athlete overall - which I guess is the subject to the topic - but Todd was just dominant - no one could ever stop him on a basketball court because he was always going to get that inch or two separation he needed to get his shot off, and an "off" night for him was 20 points. So yes, Brady was the better overall athlete by a good measure, but Todd was just so phenomenal at B-ball I had to put him.
Speaking of one-sport dominance - I just thought of one for Walsh county - Scott Guldseth from Edinburg. Most dominant HS basketball player I've seen. Quick, big, tall, great shooter, no one could guard him. Played for LSU and UND - one of UND's best players in its history.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am

BB11 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Benson County - Jason Haagenson, 4 sport athlete. Top 5 in scoring in ND bball history with over 2300 pts, 2 time all state fball player, state champ in javelin with a state record throw (I think its been broken since, tho), and an excellent baseball player (high school never had baseball so only played legion). Played fball and baseball at Jamestown College.

Paul Presthus was the guy from Rugby - they were Class A during his days, and he is the 4th leading scorer in Class A history with 1715 points. Actually Justin Keller from Rugby is the leading scorer in Rugby's history with 47 more points than Presthus. I would agree with you on Blehm and Haagenson.

Thanks! You might also be able to make a case for Wanda Scwab of Esmond for Benson county. Can't remember the year she graduated (87?) but I think she was a 6 year starter (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and her team went to state all 6 years she was in school, winning a championship in 87. If I'm wrong on the year she graduated, Esmond still made it to state from 82-88 so I know she falls in there most of those years anyway. She was an all-american selection her senior year and went on to play at VCSU. She also was a hurdler and jav thrower in high school and I think she won a high school championship in javelin. Competed in track at VCSU, too.

Maybe a male and female athlete from each county?????
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Agreed - Not a bad idea - top male and female athlete from each county it is.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 pm

I would have to think stutsman county would go to darin erstad.

Nelson county. Rick Helling?

Traill county. Craig Nelson?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Cass County- Roger Maris and maybe when it's all said and done Laura Roessler
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 am

ndfan wrote:I would have to think stutsman county would go to darin erstad.

Nelson county. Rick Helling?

Traill county. Craig Nelson?

Traill County is a tough one - I avoided that one myself. There were so many great athletes. Fred Walker - May-Port - all-state FB player, took 1st at state track meet in 100 m. dash and shot put - I believe the only time that's ever been done. Travis Kraft - albeit a one-sport stud - truly dominant in B-ball. Ross Almie - Great overall athlete and f-ball player - started for NDSU for a couple of years I believe. Craig - one of the top pt. guards in Class B history in my opinion. Not too mention any athletes from Hillsboro or Hatton or Finley-Sharon which all have their good share. Very tough county too figure out.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:22 am

Finley and Sharon are both in Steele county. Didn't Rick Helling have most of his success after he moved to Fargo? I'd think there has to be someone better from Nelson county. Can't argue with Darrin Erstad from Stutsman county, tho. Everything he's done at all levels is pretty amazing.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Finley and Sharon are both in Steele county. Didn't Rick Helling have most of his success after he moved to Fargo? I'd think there has to be someone better from Nelson county. Can't argue with Darrin Erstad from Stutsman county, tho. Everything he's done at all levels is pretty amazing.

My bad - I should of known that. I agree with you about Nelson County - I'm just not up on a lot of athletes from that area. How about Kevin Burkhard from Lakota - great B-ball player, I don't know about much else as far as his athleticism.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Scott Hanson? I was young when he played...but I know the guy was a stud for Dakota Prairie. Might've even been just Tolna then.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Ward County - Zach Elgie, IMO, best all around
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:32 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here.
Cass County - Male athlete - Tony Satter - Fargo South - track stud and great football player who starred at running back for South and NDSU.
I know there have been a ton of athletes in this county, but he stands out in my mind.
Female - Laura Roessler - Will go down as best female track athlete in ND History if she isn't already.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:09 am

Emmons has to be Kyle Carr doesn't it?
McIntosh - Lora Schauer Miss Basketball, All-State VB, semi decent in track especially when she was freshman/sophomore.
Traill - Kinsey Koles at least 7 track titles.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:31 am

if your going on pure athleticism instead of production Kevin Lipp has to be above Carr for Emmons. But if you go success and championship Carr is a no brainer.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:39 am

Phil Hanson - Dickey County - Oakes - NFL (Buffalo Bills)

Pat Smykowski - Richland County - Lidgerwood - 1st ND Miss Basketball - NDSU All American
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:42 pm

BB11 wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here.
Cass County - Male athlete - Tony Satter - Fargo South - track stud and great football player who starred at running back for South and NDSU.
I know there have been a ton of athletes in this county, but he stands out in my mind.
Female - Laura Roessler - Will go down as best female track athlete in ND History if she isn't already.

Cass County - ROGER MARIS - originally recruited to play football at the Univ. of Oklahoma (still holds official record of kickoffs returned in ONE game - FOUR), not to mention he was pretty good at Basketball to add to his baseball...
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby inky » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Mountrail County- Harrison Zacher (all around athlete ) or Randy Hedberg Tampa Bay Buccaneers starting QB both from Parshall
Favrein to Harvin!
inky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rowsdower! » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:50 pm

For Eddy County, one of the first names that comes to mind is Rachael Otto from New Rockford. I believe she is the fourth-ranked scorer in North Dakota girls' basketball history (over 2,700, I believe...) and eventually went on to play for NDSU. You could also make a case for either of the Belquist brothers, Elliott and Alex. Both were multi-sport standouts, and Alex, besides also playing for the Bison, won a state title in the triple jump in 2004.

These are both recent examples; I would appreciate anyone speaking up if I omitted someone from the past who deserves to be in the discussion. (Though Eddy IS one of the smallest counties in the state both population- and size-wise...) :D
Rowsdower! - The artist formerly known around these parts as rocketsphotoguy
I sensed that with my hair. My hair is an elaborate network of nerves, constantly processing information.
Rowsdower!
NDPreps Rookie

Postby eastwood99 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm

inky wrote:Mountrail County- Harrison Zacher (all around athlete ) or Randy Hedberg Tampa Bay Buccaneers starting QB both from Parshall

Packineaus? Neil.....football player,basketball player.

Forrest Mandan...... 1st Team All-State Football player twice,took 2nd at State wrestling.

Name all of them man! :D
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby zcrown99 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm

I agree about MARIS, it's a travesty that he's not enshrined in Cooperstown already.

I know that I'm probably preaching to the choir, but...He won consecutive American League MVP awards, in 1960 and '61. He was a star performer on five consecutive pennant-winning Yankee teams, 1960 through '64. He appeared in seven World Series, more than any other player in the 1960s. He won a Gold Glove. He was a four-time All-Star, a two-time RBI champion. He had six 20-homer seasons and three 30-homer seasons...

...and if THAT'S not enough, Mickey Mantle called Maris the best all-around player he ever saw...that's gotta count for something eh?

GET MARIS IN THE HALL!

Cheers!
-Booker
sportevents.com
Superbowl Tickets
zcrown99
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things