All-Star Voting

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby rep » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:38 pm

with nomar and a.j. getting the last all-star nods, i have to wonder about the voting process. nomar seems to be at least semi-legit, but with a.j. the american league team now has three catchers and hafner (who in my mind is a credible mvp candidate) and liriano (in the top two for a.l. rookie of the year) get to watch the game.

thoughts?
rep

Postby syracuse_10 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:44 pm

rep wrote:with nomar and a.j. getting the last all-star nods, i have to wonder about the voting process. nomar seems to be at least semi-legit, but with a.j. the american league team now has three catchers and hafner (who in my mind is a credible mvp candidate) and liriano (in the top two for a.l. rookie of the year) get to watch the game.

thoughts?

Agreed. It basically turns into a popularity contest. Hafner and Liriano have both been putting up AWESOME numbers, especially Liriano. What a joke.
syracuse_10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:55 pm

They need to get rid of the American Idol voting style. You should only get 1 vote not ever how many you want. Only certain players should be on ballot at each position only ones who lead in certain statistical categories. Get rid of each team having a representative zito and redman shouldn't be their and not Lariano. And whether its AL or NL they should have the DH I don't wanna see Pitchers hit in the all star game. Because Ortiz, Thome or if Hafner made it shouldn't go as 1st basemen cause their is a reason they are DH's (they aren't good fielders).

I said i wouldn't watch MLB baseball unless its the Twins if Lariano didn't make the all star game. So i'm now boycotting MLB the rest of the year. Except for the Twins.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 pm

all star means best in  my opinion they should take the top 4 at every spot 2 AL 2 NL maybe let fans pick 2 players for both teams i think it should be a showcase for the best of the best
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:15 am

letting the fans pick is where this whole mess starts. its a popularity contest as already stated.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndplayer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:24 am

I wonder why they don't have the AP vote.  Fans vote only for their players or players that they've heard of.  Coaches can't really focus on all the other players, considering that they have to focus on their own team everyday.  Leave the voting to the most well-informed only.  I'm sick of watching mediocre red sox and yankee players.  Although i do have to admit, it's nice to see that piazza didnt make it at catcher finally.  Maybe we're making progress.
Last edited by ndplayer on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:15 pm

hafner hit another grand slam tonight, giving him five before the all-star break, the most ever in baseball history.

but he isn't an all-star...sheesh
rep

Postby rep » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:59 pm

my problem with that is espn had been pimping liriano pretty hard leading up to the vote. hafner has gotten left out of most discussions nationally all year, but liriano was getting plenty of national pub.
rep

Postby bisonman » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:11 pm

Haftner would just dominate the home run derby like no other.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:20 pm

10-1 1.83 ERA i hope Liriano would get pub.  He's an absolute stud.  Not fair for a team to have both him and Santana.  To bad they have Chicago and Detriot.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things