College Players Staying

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

College Players Staying

Postby duke_boy90 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:50 pm

What does everyone think about college players having to stay for a year and soon to be two years? Personally I don't like it and think it is bad for the game. Any thoughts?
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Re: College Players Staying

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:34 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:What does everyone think about college players having to stay for a year and soon to be two years? Personally I don't like it and think it is bad for the game. Any thoughts?

I think it would make the college game better if they just let players go pro if they think they can make it.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Are you saying you think it's bad for the game that they have to stay? I think it's great for college basketball. If all the players have to stick around for two years it would be so much more competitive. The games would have much more quality and the NBA drafts would be much, much better. Think if Memphis still had Derrick Rose running the show to play with Tyreke Evans. Or if UCLA still had Kevin Love. What about USC if OJ Mayo was still around. Texas would have still had Durant last year. Ohio State having Oden and Conley Jr. It would make college basketball so much better.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:52 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Are you saying you think it's bad for the game that they have to stay? I think it's great for college basketball. If all the players have to stick around for two years it would be so much more competitive. The games would have much more quality and the NBA drafts would be much, much better. Think if Memphis still had Derrick Rose running the show to play with Tyreke Evans. Or if UCLA still had Kevin Love. What about USC if OJ Mayo was still around. Texas would have still had Durant last year. Ohio State having Oden and Conley Jr. It would make college basketball so much better.

two years i'd be fine with, i'm sayin i don't like the one and done. if they think they are honestly good enough i don't think they should have to play one year.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:36 am

BballFan1307 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Are you saying you think it's bad for the game that they have to stay? I think it's great for college basketball. If all the players have to stick around for two years it would be so much more competitive. The games would have much more quality and the NBA drafts would be much, much better. Think if Memphis still had Derrick Rose running the show to play with Tyreke Evans. Or if UCLA still had Kevin Love. What about USC if OJ Mayo was still around. Texas would have still had Durant last year. Ohio State having Oden and Conley Jr. It would make college basketball so much better.

two years i'd be fine with, i'm sayin i don't like the one and done. if they think they are honestly good enough i don't think they should have to play one year.

The problem with that is a lot of players think they are good enough and probably have been told they are good enough and then get to the NBA and struggle. Kwame Brown and Sebastian Telfair are just two i can think of off the top of my head. But some players that go into the NBA right after high school are good enough, Garnett, Kobe, Lebron, and McGrady to name a few. But i do like that they are making them stay an extra year. Im really not a huge fan of watching NBA and would much rather watch college so thats probably why i like the idea.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:04 am

McGrady rode the pine his first few years. Wasnt until he went the Orlando that he blew up.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I understand your points but alot of them still could give a crap about college and getting an education. I personally would rather just see them go right from high school to the pros instead of one and done, but I do understand your reasoning.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:08 pm

I love the age rule! It prevents players such as Ndudi Ebi from getting drafted in the first round.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:46 am

I think players should be able to leave after high school, but if they go to college, they should have to stay for 2 years...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:47 pm

[quote="Ming01"]I think players should be able to leave after high school, but if they go to college, they should have to stay for 2 years...[/quote

There we go. I like that idea.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Ming01 wrote:I think players should be able to leave after high school, but if they go to college, they should have to stay for 2 years...

I think that is definitely a good way to look at it. If that happened hopefully the only players making the jump would be the players that are good enough without a shadow of a doubt.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:19 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I think that is definitely a good way to look at it. If that happened hopefully the only players making the jump would be the players that are good enough without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but I think it would have the opposite effect.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 pm

With this final four this year, its pretty clear to see that the top teams are teams with experience, and guys that have stayed. 10 seniors and 8 juniors in the starting lineups for the final four teams. pretty impressive.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things