Johnny FLynn vs. Ty Lawson

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Johnny FLynn vs. Ty Lawson

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:12 pm

I like both these point guards and am positive at the rate they're going at now, they'll be great point guards in the NBA. My question is if you guys on this board had to pick one to be your point guard, who would you pick? I think these 2 should get drafted in the top 10 for sure and probably the top 5 of the upcoming draft.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Johnny FLynn vs. Ty Lawson

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:19 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I like both these point guards and am positive at the rate they're going at now, they'll be great point guards in the NBA. My question is if you guys on this board had to pick one to be your point guard, who would you pick? I think these 2 should get drafted in the top 10 for sure and probably the top 5 of the upcoming draft.

Depends on... obviously i'm going with Lawson. But i understand if you want your point guard to score first then pass i'd go with Flynn. Lawson has really developed his shot though hitting 49 percent from 3. The thing about Flynn though his is A/T ratio. He averages the same amount of assists as Lawson but averages 3 and a half turnovers per game for a ratio of 2.00. Whereas, Lawson averages 1.8 TO per game for a ratio of 3.5, which is surprising you would expect Lawson to have more turnovers because of the fast paced run and gun offense. So yeah, i'd have to take Lawson. ( I also am a UNC fan ) haha
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:50 pm

Flynn
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:02 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I like both these point guards and am positive at the rate they're going at now, they'll be great point guards in the NBA. My question is if you guys on this board had to pick one to be your point guard, who would you pick? I think these 2 should get drafted in the top 10 for sure and probably the top 5 of the upcoming draft.

Both players are undersized for the NBA. Flynn is by no means a good outside shooter. Upside with both players is maybe Jameer Nelson, but I don't think either can be close to the same level as a Chris Paul. Chad Ford of ESPN has Lawson and Flynn ranked as the 26th and 27th respectively, best prospects in this years draft. Flynn has said he is coming back to Syracuse, I'm not sure about Lawson.

If you go by the stats you have to go with Lawson.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Jonny Flynn is 6'0 and Lawson is 5'11 so I could see how their size could affect them in the nba. The pure speed and quickness they both have will make up for it. I think they can both be good players in the NBA.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball4life » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:46 am

Ben Woodside anybody?...haha but seriously my vote goes to Flynn, aiding in my decision is my deep seeded hatred for UNC though!
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:00 am

i know i'm a unc fan but still... I think lawson is by FAR the best pg in the entire nation. the guy is playing at 80 percent and dominating games. just my opinion though , i know it will be argued. thats the point of the site haha
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby duke_boy90 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Though a duke fan, I will go with Lawson. He's just so cotton pickin quick. Ate the dukies alive :cry:
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:37 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:Though a duke fan, I will go with Lawson. He's just so cotton pickin quick. Ate the dukies alive :cry:

pick Lawson and pull out an Ol' Boy Roy line? sure your a duke fan??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby duke_boy90 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:51 pm

Haha I didn't even mean to sound like Roy there. Still a Duke fan, but I'd still go with Lawson over Flynn.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm

I would like probably have to go with my boy Ty Lawson. He is a more complete player than Jonny Flynn. I hate to talk down about Jonny Flynn or Ty Lawson because these are the two best point guards in the country.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm

I really don't think there is an argument... Lawson is clearly better. Stats don't lie. In three tournament games. Flynn is averaging 16.3 points, 2 rebounds per game, 0 steals has 20 assists and 14 turnovers. Lawson has 20.3 ppg , 3.3 rebounds 2 steals per game 20 assists and 2 TURNOVERS

Better in every category. And he's still playing. Let alone at 80 percent. I think there is no argument.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:01 pm

baseball4life wrote:Ben Woodside anybody?...haha but seriously my vote goes to Flynn, aiding in my decision is my deep seeded hatred for UNC though!

K I didn't ask whose team you liked better, I asked who is a better player. If someone was to ask me whose better Jay Williams or Joseph Forte I'm obviously going to pick Williams. Just cause you aren't a UNC fan shouldn't be apart of your decision at all.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:46 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:I really don't think there is an argument... Lawson is clearly better. Stats don't lie. In three tournament games. Flynn is averaging 16.3 points, 2 rebounds per game, 0 steals has 20 assists and 14 turnovers. Lawson has 20.3 ppg , 3.3 rebounds 2 steals per game 20 assists and 2 TURNOVERS

Better in every category. And he's still playing. Let alone at 80 percent. I think there is no argument.

what makes you think he's only 80%? ive heard many people say its not a problem anymore, just something the media keeps talking about.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm sure there is pain, but I don't think it affects his play at all.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Haha, just because he dominates games doesn't mean he's playin at 100 percent. It mean's hes good. An injury that you rest for 2 weeks and still hurts doesn't just go away after playing 3 games.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:10 am

think about it tho....Roy does sound pretty stupid at times, but hes not that dumb. they had a 1 seed locked up, why risk further injury in the ACC tourney? then the tourney game....Radford. Radford....yea. Probably coulda sat Green, Ellington, and Hansbrough and still won that game.

where are you getting the 80% number? not saying hes 100%, noone is at this time. but he's on par with the rest of the players at about 94-97% haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 am

Just threw out the number.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Thought this was a classic topic considering both were drafted by the t-wolves. Has anybody changed their opinion on these two? I have never seen Rubio play, is he that much better then either of these?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Rubio likely isnt going to play in the NBA next year and Lawson was traded to the Nuggets. So i guess in the minds of hte twolves, Flynn was the better player that they wanted to keep and help rebuild around.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:24 pm

True. I thought it was pretty good that northborder eagle had started this topic back in March and lo and behold, the t-wolves end up with both of them. Granted they drafted Lawson for Denver.
So my question is for the guys that had picked Lawson ahead of Flynn back in March on here. Do you guys still feel Lawson is the better point guard?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 pm

baseball wrote:Rubio likely isnt going to play in the NBA next year and Lawson was traded to the Nuggets. So i guess in the minds of hte twolves, Flynn was the better player that they wanted to keep and help rebuild around.

In the minds of most Flynn was a better prospect than Lawson. I think most people felt Flynn's ceiling is a lot higher than Lawson's. I also think Rubio's ceiling is the highest of the 3. As a Timberwolves fan I hope they encourage Rubio to play in Europe for a few years. That way if Flynn doesn't work out as PG you can get rid of him or use him as a backup and bring Rubio back. If Flynn turns into a complete stud you can still trade Rubio.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am

So right now you believe in keeping Rubio, letting him mature a year or two, and rolling with Flynn until then is the best path. That's what I was wondering. I know the t-wolves are getting a lot of phone calls on Rubio. Is any one in favor of trading him and what would it take to do so?
Flip - So you don't think there is any chance that Rubio and Flynn can be on the court at the same time? I am guessing Flynn would go to the two spot?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:59 pm

classB4ever wrote:So right now you believe in keeping Rubio, letting him mature a year or two, and rolling with Flynn until then is the best path. That's what I was wondering. I know the t-wolves are getting a lot of phone calls on Rubio. Is any one in favor of trading him and what would it take to do so?
Flip - So you don't think there is any chance that Rubio and Flynn can be on the court at the same time? I am guessing Flynn would go to the two spot?

Based on everything I've read the only person that believes they can be on the court at the same time and be successful is David Kahn. Kahn was saying how Flynn is a scoring PG so he can play the 2, eh I don't think that will work that well. Flynn as of right now is not that good of a shooter, I think he is a decent defender, but you never really saw taht when he played at Syracuse because of the zone. He would have to guard the other team's PG and Rubio woud have guard the 2 and I don't think Rubio is athletic enough to guard the good 2s.

I'm not in favor of trading him this year and honestly I can't think of what I would want in return. Sure if you could get Chris Paul or Dwight Howard you would do it, but that is not happening. Someone called KFAN yesterday and suggested Rubio for Andrew Bynam and they basically thought you need more that Bynam and I agree. If there is a player like Blake Griffin in next year's draft maybe try to trade for the pick that can get him.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Wow. A young center like Bynum, with Jefferson and Love at forwards and Flynn and Ellington at guards. Lets say they would throw in a 1st round draft pick, would you take it? Bynum is a bit lazy and certainly not an elite big man, but very young and the potential is there. I am sure there will be alot of offers thrown at the t-wolves. Almost makes it exciting again. They would be a young and potentially explosive team.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things