Johnny FLynn vs. Ty Lawson

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Johnny FLynn vs. Ty Lawson

Postby baseball » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:15 pm

i have to admit that i dont think a lineup of Bynum, Love, Jefferson, Ellington, and Flynn would win many games.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:08 pm

That Bynum trade was thrown out there by some random fan, there aren't any actual rumors of this happening. If you think Rubio is a once in a decade type player you can't make that trade. The wolves also Gerald Henderson, who was drafted before Elington, that could possibly start at the 2. You can't start Love at the 3 either.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 am

I realize it was just fan talk. Love could play a 3 on the offensive end, but would not be able to guard a 3 in my opinion.
I have not watched much NBA for the past number of years, but as I stated, this draft got me a little excited again.
With that said, baseball, explain why you don't think they would be able to win many games. I know they would be very young. But let's say that Flynn pans out and is an above average point. 3 years down the road do you feel the same way? If you have a legitimate big man to take pressure off Jefferson, couldn't they be a pretty tough team. Doesn't Gomes play the 3 spot? Love could come in and spell Jefferson or Gomes.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:42 am

Love could play the 3 on the offensive end? ok...sure he has touch from the outside but 0 quickness and ability to take his man off the dribble. Esspecially if a 3 is guarding him.

Why dont i think they coudl win many games with that lineup. Bynum doesnt have any offensive moves, just a big body who is prone to foul trouble. Jefferson is a good player, but if he's your franchise player your in trouble...esspecially after the torn ACL, you never know how he'll recover from that. Love can't play the 3 plain and simple, Jefferson would be a better option there but hee can' do it either. Ellington can't handle the ball well enough just yet to be a ball handler in the league. Teams would make flynn give it up to him and force Ellington to handle it as much as possible. Flynn is a player I can see being a good player to build around. He's not big but hes extremely strong and explosive. The reason I don't see them winning many games in that they would give up 110 points per game. they wont have a guy you can count on to hit a shot down the stretch consistantly and who could stop a guy on the opposing team from hitting that shot? Even a few years down the road....Minnesota doesnt exactly have the best track record of developing players. Corey Brewer is a 3rd year player still playing summer league. How'd Rashad McCants work out??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:43 pm

As far as Love on the offensive end, I was thinking more about his passing and shooting ability then taking his defender off the dribble. But I think we both will agree he will never be able to play defense against a 3 so that's the end of that discussion. The rest of your opinion seems very logical.
Concerning player development, much like the Vikes are doing, I am hoping the new T-wolves regime can change all of that. Thanks for the input.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Another thing about the future....Minnesota just isnt a good market to play in. It's hard to keep big name players in town...in any sport. which is why i was suprised when Morneau extended his contract. None of the Minnesota teams have a reputation of breaking the bank to keep a big name player, see Johan Santana. They always seem to think young talent and potential always trumps veteran stars
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Well, I am not so sure I agree with you there. Minnesota has had their share of big name stars in every sport and for extended periods of time. I would say all Minnesota franchises have been pretty savvy in the manor in which they have handled their "stars". Case in point, Randy Moss, Kevin Garnett, Johan Santana. Santana is a prime example of not over-spending for someone who is just past his prime. Granted he has some good years left, but at what expense. Other then the great Joe Smith debacle and a few hiccups with the Vikes (Herschel Walker), I don't think you can say that they have mismanaged that poorly. I believe the Twins are probably the best blueprint on how a team should manage their business as anyone in the big leagues. Will they win another World Series? I don't know. But they are pretty darn good at handling their affairs. I think the Minnesota franchises have gotten their money's worth out of all their big names and probably dumped them at the right time. But that is an opinion open for debate.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:13 pm

Johan Santana left when he was 28...hes not past his prime. 9 wins, MLB leader has 10. top 10 in innings per start, strikeouts, 1 walk every 3 innnings. Numbers are just as good in NY as they were in MN. I'll agree they do a good job keeping players with what they have to offer....the thing his they dont have as much to offer in Minneapolis as New York, SoCal, Florida, etc. overall its just not a very good market. I should say none of the current owners have the reputation. Zigi loves the young, cheap player. Garnett would've been content playing in Minnesota, but they refused to surround him with the necessary players to win a ring..so he wanted to go elsewhere.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:31 pm

I will give you Santana. He is probably in his prime, rather then just past it. Also, you are correct stating that the upper midwest is not going to draw all the big names. But I do believe if you come here to play and do your job, you will be treated like "part of the family".
Now, as for Garnett. The T-wolves tried to surround Garnett with talent. Two things handcuffed them from doing this. 1. Joe Smith and 2. Kevin Garnett. Garnett signed for $120 million. If you get paid like 3 players you have to play like 3 players. I am sorry, if he wanted a better chance at winning a championship maybe he should have restructured. He was also a big part of bringing Smith in the first place. That is where all the problems started. I thought the T-wolves were very gracious on how they handled Kevin.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:19 pm

classB4ever wrote:If you get paid like 3 players you have to play like 3 players. I am sorry, if he wanted a better chance at winning a championship maybe he should have restructured.

I think the only league you can restructure your contract is the NFL, maybe NHL. I don't watch hockey.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:29 pm

You're probably right. I guess my point is after making $120+ million for 6 years, he could have settled for much less money on his next contract. This would have given the team a better chance of getting better players around him. Of course it is easier said then done.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things