MLB Records

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Honus355 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:38 am

In light of the current 715 by Barry Bonds, i was wondering what everone else thought about the best records of America's pasttime. What major league baseball records are the greatest in prestige? Which records (both on the mound and at the plate) will never be broken? What is the greatest single season feat? Which streak is the best?

As they say on the ESPN..."Let the debating begin"
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby 1337 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:13 am

My favorite is Cal Ripken Jr's consecutive game streak.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Honus355 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Cy Young is in a league of his own. My favorite of his records is 318...the number of career loses he had. You know that you are talented when you lose that much. 829 Career Decisions. I think that if a pitcher now threw that many decisions, let alone games, in his career that the manager would be fired and his agent would be mad. That is just incomprehenable to me.

I think that the best year for baseball would have to have been 1941.  Teddy "Ballgame" Williams hit a mind boggling .406, but he did not even win the MVP!!! A guy by the name of DiMaggio hit for 56 in a row. The interesting thing to think about with Teddy Ballgame is that Sac Flies were not implemented as no at bat until the 50s. They still got the RBI and stuff but they counted a SAC FLY as an AB also...I wonder what he would have hit if there would have been SAC FLY(s)...
Last edited by Honus355 on Tue May 30, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things