coaches

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby ndfan » Sun May 28, 2006 6:57 am

Caught this article on ESPN a few days back and in Connecticut if ya win by more then 50 points in football your head coach will be suspended. They didn't wanna go with like what other states like North Dakota have gone with and when up by 30 you have a continuous clock because that would take away from playing time for kids. Any thoughts???

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2457707
Last edited by ndfan on Sun May 28, 2006 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon May 29, 2006 9:36 am

if a team is up by 49 points and they do nothing but take a knee and punt the ball, what does that teach kids? sure no one likes to get beat, but i always thought that one of the lessons that athletics taught you was how to deal with losing and life when things didn't pan out.

to me it reinforces that you will be taken care of if you don't give it everything you have. i understand that blowouts aren't fun, but the minute a coach is being punished because the competition isn't that good, i think that is wrong.

what if a coach has pulled his starters and his backups are still beating the other team's starters?

it is rediculous that a coach should be punished for that...is telling a kid 'don't try' better than another kid feeling bad because their team had their lunch hauled?

two wrongs don't make a right, and kids only have a few years to play high school sports. that shouldn't be taken away from them.
rep

Postby ndplayer » Mon May 29, 2006 3:48 pm

When i think of this rule, i think about a football game a couple years ago when a small ND college in ellendale i think gave up over 100 points.  The other just pounded them, but the coach had the 3 stringers in and they only passed twice in the third quarter, and no times in the 4th, but still scored.

This rule is an okay idea, but it has to be more subjective.  Have a state official take a look at the situation, and then make the decision.  If he thinks that one team purposely ran up the score if they could have slowed down, then suspend the coach.  If the case is like that of the affirmentioned football game, then its not the coach's fault.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby DL-in-DL » Mon May 29, 2006 4:19 pm

The only reason i can see a coach getting suspended for a big win is if he is purposly running up the score. If it just so happens that one team is consideratly better than the other one, and the score is 50 points or more, then there should be a mercy rule thrown in there. Not a suspension.
DL-in-DL
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Mon May 29, 2006 8:42 pm

I don't think there should be any penalty for a coach if his team wins by a huge margin provided that he doesn't leave in his starters too long.  If the second or third string keeps rolling, I guess that's too bad.  As for Ellendale, they are a bible college so beating them by 100 isn't that big of a deal.  They are probably pretty forgiving too.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Tue May 30, 2006 5:35 am

I think there should be a penalty for a coach that leaves a player in on purpose.  Like for example that girl in NY who scored 100 something points and his coach left her in to break the record and his team was up by about 80.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4sportgenius » Tue May 30, 2006 7:42 pm

you shouldnt put in your subs or give mercy until the opposing team gives up by putting their subs in.
4sportgenius

Postby baseball » Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 pm

Ming01 wrote:I think there should be a penalty for a coach that leaves a player in on purpose.  Like for example that girl in NY who scored 100 something points and his coach left her in to break the record and his team was up by about 80.

i did read that when that girl scored 100 she did it against the starters from teh other team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed May 31, 2006 1:48 pm

i was just reffering to 4sports post that the winning team shouldnt let up until the other team puts their subs in. Im not sayin it was right for her to score everytime down the floor but not saying it was wrong either.  She just simply did what he coach told her to do.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:16 am

Kids need to learn how to lose along with winning.  I am not saying they should be embarrassed, but I am not also saying for my kids to not be agressive.  We teach kids to be agressive.  If we start having kids take a knee and punting is more degrating to the other team.  I see this with younger kids.   I think just a running clock would be ok. 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 1337 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:58 am

This could have been done so much better than what it is in final form. Glad they thought this one fully through (sarcasm).
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby power-aid14 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:13 am

Ming01 wrote:I think there should be a penalty for a coach that leaves a player in on purpose.  Like for example that girl in NY who scored 100 something points and his coach left her in to break the record and his team was up by about 80.

if coaches were forced to take their players out early, records would never be broken....almost every single record occurs in a blowout game
Last edited by power-aid14 on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things