Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Postby cornerback*22* » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:31 pm

i put him at least in the top ten
cornerback*22*

Re: Kobe Bryant: how does he rank among the best ever in the NBA

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:31 pm

No.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Jordan
Chamberlain
Alcindor
Robertson
O'Neal
Bird
Johnson
Pippen
West
Maravich
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:51 pm

balla45 wrote:No.

WHAT?

seriously. I am not a huge Kobe fan, but some people have him in the top two of all-time.
Not in the top ten?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:51 pm

I wrote out my top 10. Who is he better than?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Rephrase. I wrote out ten players who I think are better.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:54 pm

For one, Scottie Pippen. I don't think he would have gone for near as many titles without the help of the other guy.

Also, and it's hard for me to say this because he's one of my favorite players of all-time. Pistol Pete

Put him in today's game and he world not have near the success.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 pm

thejoker wrote:For one, Scottie Pippen. I don't think he would have gone for near as many titles without the help of the other guy.

Also, and it's hard for me to say this because he's one of my favorite players of all-time. Pistol Pete

He isn't in today's game though, so that doesn't matter. If you put Kwame Brown into the 50's he would have averaged 30 a game. So you can't use that.

How many titles would Kobe have without Shaq? Same thing.:D

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:04 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:For one, Scottie Pippen. I don't think he would have gone for near as many titles without the help of the other guy.

He isn't in today's game though, so that doesn't matter. If you put Kwame Brown into the 50's he would have averaged 30 a game. So you can't use that.

Hold on.

You said best ever in the NBA. You never said best at his time. Compare the skills and you can see how much better players are today. And Kobe dang near had it this year. What happened when Jordan left.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:06 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Hold on.

You said best ever in the NBA. You never said best at his time. Compare the skills and you can see how much better players are today. And Kobe dang near had it this year. What happened when Jordan left.

You must compare a player against the people he played against. If you don't do that, Wilt is not one of the best players to play basketball.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:09 pm

balla45 wrote:You must compare a player against the people he played against.

If I played against a bunch of third graders and scored 100 points, that doesn't mean I am better than Kobe, who only scored 81 against his opponents
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:12 pm

thejoker wrote:

If I played against a bunch of third graders and scored 100 points, that doesn't mean I am better than Kobe, who only scored 81 against his opponents

My god. You took that completely out of context. When Wilt played basketball, he was playing against the best players in the world. Just as Kobe is. Thus, the same level of competition.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:15 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

My god. You took that completely out of context. When Wilt played basketball, he was playing against the best players in the world. Just as Kobe is. Thus, the same level of competition.

No. The best players in the world in the 50's were not as good as the best players now. Period. You have to be better now to dominate the league than ever before.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:18 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

No. The best players in the world in the 50's were not as good as the best players now. Period. You have to be better now to dominate the league than ever before.

I know this. That isn't the point. The best players in the world are the highest competition in the world. Wilt did what he did against the best competition in the world. Unless you are one of the people who wants to say that every player I named is not one of the ten best all time, because under your logic, Wilt isn't a top 100 player.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:21 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

I know this. That isn't the point. The best players in the world are the highest competition in the world. Wilt did what he did against the best competition in the world. Unless you are one of the people who wants to say that every player I named is not one of the ten best all time, because under your logic, Wilt isn't a top 100 player.

Wilt is no doubt one of the top players of all time. But my point is still that he would not have been as dominant now as he was.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

Wilt is no doubt one of the top players of all time. But my point is still that he would not have been as dominant now as he was.

Under your logic, he isn't. Why does it matter how he would do now? He did great when he played. That is the only logical way to compare players. The way you are looking at it, Wilt Chamberlain and Kwame Brown are pretty much equal.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:31 pm

balla45 wrote:Under your logic, he isn't. Why does it matter how he would do now? He did great when he played. That is the only logical way to compare players. The way you are looking at it, Wilt Chamberlain and Kwame Brown are pretty much equal.

Under my logic he is a great. I just said that.

Why does it matter how he would do now? Because there were not the amazingly athletic point guards, Micheal Redd-esque shooters, and Shaq sized big men when Wilt played. And if people now can beat them, Wilt would have to beat them too to be better than the current dominant big man. And I don't think he was suited to do that.

I do think, however, that Kobe would do just fine in the old days of the league.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:Under your logic, he isn't. Why does it matter how he would do now? He did great when he played. That is the only logical way to compare players. The way you are looking at it, Wilt Chamberlain and Kwame Brown are pretty much equal.

Why does it matter how he would do now? Because there were not the amazingly athletic point guards, Micheal Redd-esque shooters, and Shaq sized big men when Wilt played. And if people now can beat them, Wilt would have to beat them too to be better than the current dominant big man. And I don't think he was suited to do that.

I do think, however, that Kobe would do just fine in the old days of the league.

Just because you said it doesn't mean it follows your system of logic. Kwame is better in every aspect of the game that Wilt was. Thus, Wilt is not as good, and Kwame is not top 100 right now, thus Wilt isn't either.

You can't compare a player against a different era. There are so many things wrong with that. I don't know how you don't see this.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:36 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

Just because you said it doesn't mean it follows your system of logic. Kwame is better in every aspect of the game that Wilt was. Thus, Wilt is not as good, and Kwame is not top 100 right now, thus Wilt isn't either.

You can't compare a player against a different era. There are so many things wrong with that. I don't know how you don't see this.

You just double-crossed yourself. "You cant compare a player against a different era." So who are you to say that Wilt is so much better that Kwame.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:38 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

You just double-crossed yourself. "You cant compare a player against a different era." So who are you to say that Wilt is so much better that Kwame.

I didn't double cross myself. I will admit that if Wilt and Kwame played in the same era, Kwame would be better. However, Kwame isn't considered a better player, because he is an average player in his era, while Wilt was the best. Make sense?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

I didn't double cross myself. I will admit that if Wilt and Kwame played in the same era, Kwame would be better. However, Kwame isn't considered a better player, because he is an average player in his era, while Wilt was the best. Make sense?

I see where you're coming from but...

You just stated that "Kwame would be better."
How can Wilt be better if Kwame is the better player?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

Wilt was the best player IN HIS ERA.

Kwame is an average player IN HIS ERA.

Kwame WOULD dominate IN WILT'S ERA, but he isn't playing it it.

Understand yet?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

Understand yet?

I know where you're coming from. I believe I just said that also.

But Best Players Ever. Not better than players who he had to play against.

Understand?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:48 pm

thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:

Understand yet?

I know where you're coming from. I believe I just said that also.

But Best Players Ever. Not better than players who he had to play against.

Understand?

You said that, then asked questions that seemed to show that you have no idea where I am coming from.

How does Kobe Bryant rank among the best ever in the NBA? Cornerback 22, interpret what you meant when you phrased this question.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm also going to throw this out there. Look at the list of the 50 greatest players of all time. Do you notice that people are judged on how they dominated in their respective era?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things