Stadiums

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby ndfan » Fri May 05, 2006 3:00 am

Seems like they wanna build three new stadiums in Minnesota for the Gophers football, the vikings, and the Twins. Question is do they need a new stadium? Who should pay for them owners or tax payers? Who deserves a stadium and who doesn't or do they all? Would you prefer to see an indoor or outdoor one?

I say if Minnesota get three new stadiums that North Dakota should knock down the alerus and fargo dome and build outdoor stadiums also. :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Fri May 05, 2006 3:14 am

it's just plain dumb. Mpls relies more on commuter traffice to baseball/fb games than most pro teams. how manay times will you drive from Fargo, Grand Forks, Bemidji, Thief River Falls etc. if the game gets rained out after you've drive down 4 hours?

30 years ago they NEEDED a roof? now they don't?

must be global warming?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby DL-in-DL » Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 am

I heard the Twins are getting a $520 million dollar stadium, but it has not roof.
DL-in-DL
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Wed May 17, 2006 5:01 pm

Here's what the cost of each stadium could cost.

Vikings officials say their proposed stadium in Blaine will cost $675 million, but that doesn't include $115 million needed to improve Interstate Hwy. 35W and surrounding roads.

The Twins project their new stadium in downtown Minneapolis to cost $522 million. Yet, Hennepin County officials have only estimates for land acquisition, site cleanup and other infrastructure costs.

And the Gophers' $248 million football stadium could come with an unexpected $30 million expense for taxpayers -- the cost of realigning a proposed light-rail line that tracks too closely to the proposed stadium.

Here's the article it came from.

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/429840.html
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed May 17, 2006 5:22 pm

I say if Minnesota get three new stadiums that North Dakota should knock down the alerus and fargo dome and build outdoor stadiums also. :)

where would you plan on playing state football?  Jamestown College?
Last edited by baseball on Wed May 17, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed May 17, 2006 6:00 pm

Same places they held state football before the dome.

NE played at the community bowl in Bismarck before the turf was put down.

Think they played at Lefty Faris field in Mandan one year as well.  Could have been Hughes field.
The site was determined based on where the teams were from.
I recall a state championship in minot one year.
Besides he was kidding.  I hope.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Wed May 17, 2006 6:24 pm

[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:

where would you plan on playing state football?  Jamestown College?

Yeah I was being sarcastic about knocking down either of them. I would just love to see football played outside that is where it was meant to be played in my mind.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonman » Fri May 19, 2006 12:32 pm

I could see outdoor football stadium as you can play in any conditions and bring clothes accordingly... but baseball needs to be under a roof, at least in the twin cities.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Fri May 19, 2006 12:40 pm

This is what I think they have in mind for what the football stadium will look like just go to this link. Looks a lot better then playing in that crappy dome.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Minne ... windex.htm
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri May 19, 2006 1:17 pm

The Vikings have a huge uphill battle in front of them.  It kind of looks like their new stadium is being built in LA.....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby 1337 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:45 am

It'll happen. It won't happen in the next session, the following one everyone will see how great the twins stadium is, after that they'll see how great the gopher stadium is and then the Vikings will get theres. Minnesota isn't that stupid. That's the analysis of a Minnesotan who is well connected and helped make the Twins stadium happen. Give it time. The Dome has to go, and go completely even as many fun memories I have of the place.
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things