A vs. B

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu May 04, 2006 2:45 pm

I like the discussion, so I thought it should be moved to an appropriate area.

Team wise class B victories would be few and far between.  In class B towns almost everyone plays at least  one sport if not all of them.  They are usually close to their teammates and coaches and are playing for the town not just the school.

In class A towns kids have the chance to specialize in a sport and get coaching on a year round basis.  They have weightlifting classes and access to state of the art facilities (acceleration).

Yet, what has been displayed on several other threads is very evident, kids/athletes/students are excelling on an individual basis.  Which ever side you are on, we should be able to step back and be impressed with the dedication, commitment and work ethic that these young people display.

Thanks for giving us something to argue about.

Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 4:01 pm

Tiger Pride wrote:In class A towns kids have the chance to specialize in a sport and get coaching on a year round basis.  They have weightlifting classes and access to state of the art facilities (acceleration).

Class B goes to acceleration too.  I've gone before and when i was there atleast half if not more were B.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer2 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Yes here too ive gone to acceleration but just have to drive to bismarck for it... and i think the athletes are just as good in class B towns and most would compete at a higher level but its just much harder to find athlets in small towns obviously because of the small numbers... ive played with class A guys and class B guys and there is no different once u get on teh same team so i think u cant say a class A guy is better then a class B guy just because of the competition he plays against during the year
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 4:47 pm

I think it would be fun to watch the top Class B teams like Thompson and Steele go up against the Class A teams.  Wierd feeling but i tihnk that they were go better then .500
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 pm

yes i would love to watch thompson play Minot and North i think that might have blowout writtin all over it
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu May 04, 2006 5:10 pm

Which way is your blowout going?  I would put my money on Thompson.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Thu May 04, 2006 5:15 pm

no no no no i think minot could throw lundy and have elgie catch and the game would almost be over
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Thu May 04, 2006 5:19 pm

[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:
Which way is your blowout going?  I would put my money on Thompson.

Blowout? come on now guys I'm a class B guy and that just ridiculous Yeah I think Thompson could play with those teams and even win a few games here and their but blow out??? Thats just a stupid statement!!!!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu May 04, 2006 6:05 pm

Hey I moved over here so we wouldn't be in the baseball thread.

It doesn't matter where you are from or who you play for, there are good athletes in both classes.

A higher level of competetion, how do you measure competitve level on an individual bases in team sports.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bisonman » Mon May 08, 2006 11:15 am

In cases like this... Why don't the schools schedule a game or two a year against a Class A and a Class B school? The more games, the more experience the players get... so why not let them play a few times?
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Tue May 09, 2006 3:07 am

[user=335]bisonman[/user] wrote:
In cases like this... Why don't the schools schedule a game or two a year against a Class A and a Class B school? The more games, the more experience the players get... so why not let them play a few times?

I don't think coaches or AD's like to schedule A vs. B because you have short seasons here in North Dakota and they wanna try to make sure they get all region games scheduled in and then schedule other teams that are in their classification. ex: If Cavalier has an open date in baseball and they have the choice of either GF Central or Thompson they are gonna take the Thompson game because its a team they could play at state. JMO
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonman » Tue May 09, 2006 4:02 am

I'll speak with our AD today and see what he says about it.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue May 09, 2006 4:17 am

Tiger Pride wrote:Hey I moved over here so we wouldn't be in the baseball thread.

It doesn't matter where you are from or who you play for, there are good athletes in both classes.

A higher level of competetion, how do you measure competitve level on an individual bases in team sports.

Exactly, so what makes Class A so much better in everyones opinion?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue May 09, 2006 5:41 am

Class A teams are consistently better than class B teams.  I think it becomes a numbers game.  If you take the total population of the class A schools and the class B schools then make an all-star team based on pop. I think the class B athletes would compete. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Tue May 09, 2006 7:53 am

Thompson wouldnt get blown out but I would bet everything I have that Minot and North would sweep Thompson if they played.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonman » Tue May 09, 2006 5:10 pm

Coming from an AD... he told me the reason you'll never see a class A varsity play a class B varsity is because... the Class A team has nothing to gain. They are supposed to win and why play a game they could lose? It'd hurt their rep. They'll schedule their JV because well... the JV is suppose to win, but if they don't... well ohh well. They beat their JV.
bisonman
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things