Jared Allen to the Vikes

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Jared Allen to the Vikes

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 pm

just saw on espn.com that he is going to the vikes
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Jared Allen to the Vikes

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:55 am

Very exciting for Vikings fans. Pat and Kevin Williams in the middle with Allen. They should be tough. I am so exciting for opening day when they spoil the fun for Packer fans on the same day they retire Favre's jersey.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:50 am

Was giving your first and both third rounds pick worth this guy?? This wouldn't be a terrible move if this was the missing link to the Super Bowl but this team still has issues in other places that those draft picks could have been used.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:57 am

Gaining a first and two third round draft choices was a great move for KC. They need help in several areas and this will help them rebuild. As for the queens, the jury is out. If they truly believe that the're only a defensive end away from the superbowl it's worth it. BUT...if they have multiple needs...it was a bad move.. :D . GO PACK GO! :D
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby riders » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 am

the vikings need more help than this guy. they could have kept the picks and gotten 3 guys that would help them in a couple years rather than right now and gone in 5-6 seasons. 3 picks, i think, would have helped them more in the long run than just 1 veteran.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:44 am

i think it was a great move by the vikes. they get a proven pro bowl lineman. and now have 3 pro bowlers on the line. Theres no way they could have gotten a player of this caliber with their draft picks. How many sacks have their defensive ends had the last 2 years? 10 at the max.. allen had 15 1/2 last season alone. i think that this is a really good move for the vikes.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby riders » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 am

for right now it was a good move. all i was saying in my last post was that i think they could have gottn more future help from the draft if they have done their homework. it was a good move in improving theid defense but i dont think that was their problem. they need offensive help and trading away 3 picks wasnt the way to do it. he is a proven player but unless they plan doing alot in the offseason with free agency.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Frogger_330 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:49 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_ ... len_traded

sounds good to me, i feel bad for Aaron Rodgers on opening day :lol:
Frogger_330

Postby Hinsa » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Chili has to win NOW. He has to continue to show improvement and Allen could buy them another win or two this year. If Chili doesn't get to 10 wins this season he may not care how many draft picks they didn't have this year.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:59 pm

if allen gets in legal trouble it was a bad move. if not...the vikes haven't been that great at drafting defensive ends the last decade or so and they are getting a legit player that is still fairly young.

that whole culture of accountability seems to be looking the other way on this trade though. i'm certainly willing to give the guy a break until he screws up, but he appears to be coming to minnesota with some baggage.
rep

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Most likely the Vikings would have drafted Philip Merling from Clemson, who just had hernia surgery, and hoped he panned out. Sorta like they are still waiting for Erasmus James, or previously K. Udeze to pan out. Earlier this year they almost overpaid DE Justin Smith, who was never anything special at Cincinnati in 7 years (2 sacks last year), and who's 2 years older than Allen and who signed with the 49ers for a six-year, $45 million contract including $20 million in guarantees. Allens contact doesn't look so bad now compared to that considering he missed 2 games and had 15.5 sacks last year. What they really gave up was two third rounders for a proven commodity. The risk is if he gets injured, gets into legal problems, or decides he got paid and doesn't care anymore.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:09 pm

anyone know his certain ties to Kindred? word on the street is his aunt lives/teaches at Kindred? anyone...anyone?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby berry186 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 pm

point/center wrote:anyone know his certain ties to Kindred? word on the street is his aunt lives/teaches at Kindred? anyone...anyone?

y ai heard that too on kfan aunt and grandma and grandpa live there uncle lives in fargo too
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scruffy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 am

A one and two threes! Chili knows it's win a few now or never. :lol: :lol: Seriously, Allen should be ok. He reminds me of Aaron Kampman from Green Bay...whom we drafted in the FIFTH round. :D
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Was that the year they drafted Tony Mandarich?
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:09 pm

Wasn't the Mandarich pick a hoot. The only "can't miss" selection of the 89 draft. That's why I love trading down for MORE picks. It's like going to a watermelon pile and you have to pick out the ripest one. Would you want one selection...or five to find the right one? A good organization NEVER trades away too many draft choices. It's a teams lifeline to the future. The draft is where you find players to develop, where you build depth and where your special teams are made up from. :D
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:34 pm

scruffy wrote:Wasn't the Mandarich pick a hoot. The only "can't miss" selection of the 89 draft. That's why I love trading down for MORE picks. It's like going to a watermelon pile and you have to pick out the ripest one. Would you want one selection...or five to find the right one? A good organization NEVER trades away too many draft choices. It's a teams lifeline to the future. The draft is where you find players to develop, where you build depth and where your special teams are made up from. :D

I disagree totally. I'd trade the entire 2005 Vikings draft for Jared allen. proven commodity.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:01 pm

point/center wrote:
scruffy wrote:Wasn't the Mandarich pick a hoot. The only "can't miss" selection of the 89 draft. That's why I love trading down for MORE picks. It's like going to a watermelon pile and you have to pick out the ripest one. Would you want one selection...or five to find the right one? A good organization NEVER trades away too many draft choices. It's a teams lifeline to the future. The draft is where you find players to develop, where you build depth and where your special teams are made up from. :D

I disagree totally. I'd trade the entire 2005 Vikings draft for Jared allen. proven commodity.

Didn't the Vikings learn with the Hercheal Walker trade not to trade so many draft picks for one guy???
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:06 pm

can anyone look back three years to 2005 and find anything with trading for more than a 5th pick? isn't that what their #1 Williamson left for? so you look at that and think....man trade all the picks from 2005 for someone like Shawne Merriman and we'd have been miles ahead....

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:17 pm

The Vikings never traded one current NFL player, or any future draft picks for Jared Allen. So they didn't really mortgage their future, like they did for Hershel Walker. They also still have six picks in seven rounds for this years draft.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:50 am

point/center wrote:

That says alot about the viqueens front office and their ability to draft!! :D I do think Allen will do well, but the team has other needs as well. I hope Jared buys "warm weather" clothes so he's ready to make the move to LA in 2012....
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby andy_7 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:29 pm

You have to think that the vikes wouldn't have spent that much money and all of those draft picks if he wasn't worth it. If they wouldn't have traded for Allen they probably would have drafted a DE which is probably the hardest position to evaluate. With there first pick they would have drafted a DE, and then a lineman in the 2nd which they still are going to do. The only thing they will really miss in this draft will be getting a playmaker in the third round like a tight-end or wideout or even trading up in the second for a qb.
andy_7

Postby tommykramer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:40 pm

Jared Allen's brother Brian lived and worked in Fargo for a number of years, and he married a Fargo girl, he (Brian) also played one year of football at Jamestown College!
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguruguy » Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

The allen trade was a very good one,but it puts a lot of pressure on our defense to be great in which all vikings fan will expect. The thing i worry about is if T JACK is going to get it done. If he can have a solid year and stay within the offense not trying to do to much we are going to be NFC north champs. The team we have to worry about is the cowboys. They had an excellent draft and picked up some talented free agents
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Sat May 10, 2008 10:46 am

sportsguruguy wrote:The allen trade was a very good one,but it puts a lot of pressure on our defense to be great in which all vikings fan will expect. The thing i worry about is if T JACK is going to get it done. If he can have a solid year and stay within the offense not trying to do to much we are going to be NFC north champs. The team we have to worry about is the cowboys. They had an excellent draft and picked up some talented free agents

"The team we have to worry about is the cowboys."....the vikings first must beat the lions, bears and Packers consistently and get into the playoffs. For them, thats been a tall order lately...
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things