"One and Dones"-NCAA Class of 2011

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

"One and Dones"-NCAA Class of 2011

Postby riders » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:04 pm

ESPN wrote an aticle to elaborate more than i can.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... d=tab2pos1

any thoughts on pretty much the entire class of 2011 declaring for the draft? college is suposed to be something to fall back on if your pro career doesnt pan out. ya they are only 20 but the fact that one year of college doesnt teach you much for a career to rely on after your too old to play. just my thought
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: "One and Dones"-NCAA Class of 2011

Postby OldSchool » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:22 pm

if they hire a good financial planner they won't have to worry about a job after the nba why not go and collect the lucrative contract that these teams continue to pay.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:27 pm

my point is the fact that college is supposed to be the place to learn something for later on in your life. it says in the article that players only have to attend one semester of class! going to class for half of a year is a waste of these kids time. i think that the NBA needs to go to a system similar to the MLB, where you can be drafted out of hs but if you opt for college you are not eligible to be drafted again until your junior year.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:28 pm

this was a freak class though. next year you will be lucky to see half as many freshman enter the draft. i understand that doesnt matter because it will always happen. but guess what happens if they follow the MLB rules. these players dont go to college, yet sign wih the Pros thinking they are ready and spend 8 years in the D-league. that or the JUCO national tourney will be A LOT better. did Calipari, Floydd, and Martin actually recruit Rose, Mayo, and Beasley expecting them to stay more then one year? highly doubt it. Calipari, got his extension (and Tyreke Evens). probably wouldnt have gotten either if Rose didnt take them to the National Title game. USC increas attendance by over 3000. that and the jersey sales of #32 brought in mutli million dollars to the university. Martin signed Beasley so he wouldnt get fired after his first season, i give him 2 more before he gets canned
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby champs0607 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:53 am

so how long should they stay? 2 years? 3? i'm not sure but i can't stand the "one and done" rule for the nba/ncaa. IMO it ruins the college game and all this rule does is improve the players "slightly" and maybe moves them up in the draft one or two picks. we need more tyler hansbrough's out there, people who will come to college to play for the love of the game and look for a future outside of college and sports if things don't go right. for example, what if these "one and done" guys get injured, puts them out for seasons/career ending, the team releases them, and no one picks them up? (speaking hypethetically) what can they fall back to? i know it all sounds crazy but david knocked goliath down with one stone: anything can happen!
"Don't give up....don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 am

champs0607 wrote:so how long should they stay? 2 years? 3? i'm not sure but i can't stand the "one and done" rule for the nba/ncaa. IMO it ruins the college game and all this rule does is improve the players "slightly" and maybe moves them up in the draft one or two picks. we need more tyler hansbrough's out there, people who will come to college to play for the love of the game and look for a future outside of college and sports if things don't go right. for example, what if these "one and done" guys get injured, puts them out for seasons/career ending, the team releases them, and no one picks them up? (speaking hypethetically) what can they fall back to? i know it all sounds crazy but david knocked goliath down with one stone: anything can happen!

Lets think about it this way for a moment guys.......If a genius goes to the top business school in the country, and is offered the CEO job of say...microsoft would it really be any different. I guess what I am getting at it that its ultimately business, and the NBA is not worried about the college game.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby champs0607 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:54 am

i'm pretty sure in an interview with cbs, stern did say something about the college game and what he could do to make it (NCAA) and the nba better.
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 am

champs0607 wrote:i'm pretty sure in an interview with cbs, stern did say something about the college game and what he could do to make it (NCAA) and the nba better.

of course he's going to say that...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:05 am

to only have to go to school for 1/2 of a year and then do whatever you want isnt right. the NCAA and NBA should put a minimum on the number of years of college you have to attend. to go to school for half a year is a waste of these kids' time and the time of the coaches that have helped make their game better. hansbrough is a great example of a kid that went to school and made a commitment to that team in a long-term way along with he likes of acie law(A&M) and brandon rush
Last edited by riders on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jefferson Clark » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:20 am

its their life though why should they put a leash on them and say attend school? plus how is it a waste of time for the coach? the more players that go through his system and make the pros the more money he makes because he attracts more kids to come to his program and the faster he can get them to the ultimate goal the more room he has for other players
Jefferson Clark

Postby Baller » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 am

The thing that bothers me is that this assumes that all kids belong in college. Not all kids belong there or will make in college. Some people are just not made out for college especially a four year college. You can't tell me that all those players are even capable of graduating from a four year college. Some kids are cut out more for trade school. Maybe there guys' trade is just basketball.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby riders » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 am

i completely agree with champs0607 in the fact that their basketball career could end tomorrow. one injury could end it all. what would a rookie do that came straight from 1 year of college do if he was injured and couldnt play ever again? my guess would be go back to college and pay for it by himself, there will be no more scholarship to play and my guess is that there arent many 3.5GPA athletes out there to get an academic scholarship. if you arent a lebron or a durant you wont be makiung that much money. they are getting a free education to play a game. this isnt about the coaches, they know whats going on with the recruiting process and i guess take that chance by recruiting that player. it didnt exactly seem to me like coaches would be happy to see someone like hansbrough or dorsey or love or mayo leave their program. not all people are made for college, if they arent, mabey they shouldnt go in the first place. im not saying 4 years but im saying 1 semester teaches you absolutely nothing.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:40 am

this isnt the nba but it helps in explaining what my point is. as well as the NFL has a minimum age, why cant the NBA? as well as kids arent cut out for a 4 year college, kids arent cut out to go for a year and think they can play competitively in the NBA. there are some exceptions in NCAA hoops as well as there are in NCAA football(see bush, reggie-hawk, aj-young,vince). bush dominated the entire nation with his running game and got to the NFL and is now an average back. as well as this happens in football it happens in basketball.

http://www.fordham.edu/campus_resources ... ve_338.asp
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:02 am

The reason the NFL has that rule is much like the drinking age rule of 21. the brain isnt fulling developed until a person is 21, so drinking before that damages your brain more then it does after the age of 21-22 etc... the NFL has that rule because the physcial difference between high school football and pro football isnt even comparable. and im sure baseball has the rule so they dont have millions of players just floating around clogging up the minor league system...i dunno just a guess.

as for the injuries, look at Shaun Livingston. he wouldve been a senior in college this year and for all we know he could possibly still be there with all of the injuries hes had. he has never played more then 61 games in a year. he never played a single minute in the 07-08 season and yet made 4.4 million dollars.

like the article on ESPN said, the NBA only did this so they could get a look at the top high school players against college competition and not high school players who might not even play college ball.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby champs0607 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:47 pm

they're called "Student Athletes" for a reason. school work before basketball court.
champs0607
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:54 pm

How do you guys think these elite freshmens stock changed if they would have come right out of high school to now with one year of college?? With the money that is being given to kids these days I think that the people writing the checks should have the right to see these kids play at a higher level before dishing out that kinda money to them. To me its a privilege to play in the NBA, not a right. JMHO
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:07 pm

I think it is a privilege to play in the NBA, but if a player earns that privilege in high school, he shouldn't have to go to college.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 pm

riders wrote:to only have to go to school for 1/2 of a year and then do whatever you want isnt right. the NCAA and NBA should put a minimum on the number of years of college you have to attend. to go to school for half a year is a waste of these kids' time and the time of the coaches that have helped make their game better. hansbrough is a great example of a kid that went to school and made a commitment to that team in a long-term way along with he likes of acie law(A&M) and brandon rush

I think it is perfectly fair for them to go to school for half of a year and do whatever they want. They earn their NBA job, and honestly, it is the player's life and future and he should be able to do what he wants with it.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:16 pm

balla45 wrote:
riders wrote:to only have to go to school for 1/2 of a year and then do whatever you want isnt right. the NCAA and NBA should put a minimum on the number of years of college you have to attend. to go to school for half a year is a waste of these kids' time and the time of the coaches that have helped make their game better. hansbrough is a great example of a kid that went to school and made a commitment to that team in a long-term way along with he likes of acie law(A&M) and brandon rush

I think it is perfectly fair for them to go to school for half of a year and do whatever they want. They earn their NBA job, and honestly, it is the player's life and future and he should be able to do what he wants with it.

Brandon Rush didnt make a long term commitment to Kansas. he declared for the Draft after his sophomore season and tore his ACL so he came back.

and balla...your comment basically contradicted yourself? if its their life and they should be able to do what they want, why would they spend a year in college, going to a semesters worth of classes when they could be makin 4 million dollars at the same time.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:29 pm

baseball wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Brandon Rush didnt make a long term commitment to Kansas. he declared for the Draft after his sophomore season and tore his ACL so he came back.

and balla...your comment basically contradicted yourself? if its their life and they should be able to do what they want, why would they spend a year in college, going to a semesters worth of classes when they could be makin 4 million dollars at the same time.

I did not clarify enough. I am very against forcing players to go to college. I think that if a player is good enough to go to the NBA right after high school, they should be able to. If they aren't going to allow that, then college athletes should have the ability to get paid. I was simply saying that extending the ammount of time athletes are forced to be in college would be grossly unfair, as they should have the right to not go to college.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:00 pm

ok i thought you were sayin it was fair to have them go to school. but you were saying that it is fair that they only have to go to half a years worth of school? am i right now? haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm

baseball wrote:ok i thought you were sayin it was fair to have them go to school. but you were saying that it is fair that they only have to go to half a years worth of school? am i right now? haha

I am saying it isn't fair that they have to go to school, but since they are doing that, they shouldn't extend it.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby brownbomber » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm

most of the kids who go to school for one semester is so they can play hoops, cause if they arent inrolled at a school they cant play,thus some kid not having the skills like lebron or some other greats and were unfortunate that noone came to their games to watch them, they just go to school for a while so they get a look from ppl and maybe learn some things that will help them in the NBA, showing the scouts that they can play on a national level.Who cares what they do maybe it isnt their idea of doing anything but playing bball,maybe they dont care if they work at mcdonalds or BK(not saying its bad to work here).Many ppl try and find their happiness in life and sometimes stuff doesnt work out .Most of the time its the money many of these kids come from their families dont have much so they wanna give back a quickly as possible and thats why they leave early
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Kevin Love? the whole Florida team last year? Brandon Rush? them families are pretty well set so i dont think supporting the family is the reason they go pro
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 am

baseball wrote:Martin signed Beasley so he wouldnt get fired after his first season, i give him 2 more before he gets canned

Beasley signed when Huggins was the coach. K-State hired Martin to make sure Beasley came to their University.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things