Giving More A Chance to Play

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Giving More A Chance to Play

Postby Deuce » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:22 pm

I don't think he meant it as 1 per campus but 2 for the whole school which is why I said it would be a political nightmare. How'd you decide who was on what team. Could they switch players amongst the teams? Issues like that would not be easily solved.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eyeinthesky » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:39 pm

baseball wrote:but kids want to compete too, so how competative would that 9 and 10 grade campus be in class a when they have the 11-12 across down. they only way they should field 2 teams to a town is if there are 2 school, not 2 campus'. and this is schools have jv, sophomore, freshman, c squad whatever. so more kids do get the chance to play. the varsity is reserved for the 12 BEST players in your school. if playing was the only thing you cared about it woldnt matter what level. as long as your playing against other kids in your skill level

Most large Class A schools have Varsity, JV, Soph A, Soph B and three or four Freshman basketball teams. These large schools also have numerous other sports and activities that students can become involved in such as dance, gymnastics, swimming, hockey, debate, drama and the marching band just to name a few.

Will every kid that wants to play on a varsity level make the cut....no. Welcome to life in the cold cruel world! There are other ways to be involved in the sport you love. You can be a student manager, coach a youth team or officiate grade school and junior high ball.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:49 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:
baseball wrote:but kids want to compete too, so how competative would that 9 and 10 grade campus be in class a when they have the 11-12 across down. they only way they should field 2 teams to a town is if there are 2 school, not 2 campus'. and this is schools have jv, sophomore, freshman, c squad whatever. so more kids do get the chance to play. the varsity is reserved for the 12 BEST players in your school. if playing was the only thing you cared about it woldnt matter what level. as long as your playing against other kids in your skill level

Most large Class A schools have Varsity, JV, Soph A, Soph B and three or four Freshman basketball teams. These large schools also have numerous other sports and activities that students can become involved in such as dance, gymnastics, swimming, hockey, debate, drama and the marching band just to name a few.

Will every kid that wants to play on a varsity level make the cut....no. Welcome to life in the cold cruel world! There are other ways to be involved in the sport you love. You can be a student manager, coach a youth team or officiate grade school and junior high ball.

exactly....but if you look over the post Wild Wolves has said a few times that he thinks schools that are bigger should mean they have 2 varsity teams, which didnt make sense. he even said "sure you can stack one team" all that is is keeping the actually varsity team and making a JV team play a varsity schedule with a very little chance at winning any games. the class A tournament is already down compared to the class b tournament. i guess having a Minot A vs Minot B for the title would be much better...

1 school, 1 varsity team. if your have more kids out just split te JV level teams like you said how they have a Soph A and Soph B team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 pm

Man alive I still didn't type slow enough! :lol:

I understan the one campus two schools thing.

I don't care if it is two schools or one big one.

How many juniors are cut because they don't make the JV.

How many seniors are cut because they don't make the varsity.

I don't think there are any Sr on JV teams or juniors on soph teams.

I am not saying that cutting players shouldn't happen but lets make sure that the kids that work at it and put in the time can still have a chance to improve over the course of their Jr. and Sr. season.

The basis is the fact that a school like Minot 1850 kids of which a fourth are seniors can at the most have 12 boys playing basketball from that class. That is if every player on the varsity is a senior. Doesn't that seem a little disproportionate?

In Minot's case why not make two HS instead of a split campus? Why not field two varsity teams and two JV's and so forth? Certainly if more kids are involved then more people will come to games and more money will be generated to cover the additional expenses. Heck that means one game they won't have to travel out of town for.

You could graduate with kids you may actually know instead of the 350 kids that you have never even had a class with.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 am

Tell that to the tax payers....That is exactly what Fargo is trying to do and they are being lamblasted by the taxpayers because they are not seeing the amount of growth to warrent another high school. Fargo South has almost 2200 students if you count the 9th graders that are at a different campus. The school board keeps emphasizing more opportunities for students, but all the public sees is $$$$$$$
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HeisAlive » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:57 am

It's very clear wild wolves doesn't know anything about Minot school system. 1st - Central Campus is for 9th and 10th graders only. They have 4 freshman teams and 2 Soph teams. Does he want these Soph teams to play the Class "B" teams varsity??? They already have a full Soph Class "A" schedule. Same for the freshman teams. The Magic City Campus (11th and 12th) they have a JV and a varsity team. If you count all the boys teams and players for basketball there are appx 64 players. As I've said before I've been to some open gyms and it's hard to get 15 - 20 players on any given day to play. Minot is more of a baseball town then basketball.

If a kid wants to play basketball, let him train, work hard, and train some more. Nothing in this life is a given unless its death or taxes. I know on some, and I say some, class "B" team all a kid has to do is show up and he makes the team. Does he deserve it to be on that team as say an Austin Default who bust his behind to improve his game to get to the next level or do we just give "Little Johhny" a jersy to say he was on a "State" champion team.

In Minot every elemetary school has a a team or two to play in the city league. By the time, "Little Johhny" get to the 7th or 8th grade he may not even be 5 ft tall and not even want to play basketball. Even so, there are more team for "Little Johnny" can play on the intra leagues. So given there is that given opportunity for "Little Johnny" to play BB. But even will all this going on for "little Johhny" to improve his game, he's never at the gym shooting extra baskets, he's at home shooting baskets on his PSP.

All in all, if a kid wants to make a varsity team, what is he will to do to make it.
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby AC-DC » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:54 am

He'd be better of playing Hockey in the first place!
It may not be the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
AC-DC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:54 pm

[quote="HeisAlive"]It's very clear wild wolves doesn't know anything about Minot school system. 1st - Central Campus is for 9th and 10th graders only. They have 4 freshman teams and 2 Soph teams. Does he want these Soph teams to play the Class "B" teams varsity??? They already have a full Soph Class "A" schedule. Same for the freshman teams. The Magic City Campus (11th and 12th) they have a JV and a varsity team. If you count all the boys teams and players for basketball there are appx 64 players. As I've said before I've been to some open gyms and it's hard to get 15 - 20 players on any given day to play. Minot is more of a baseball town then basketball.

I got all of that, I am not sure where I cam across as not understanding Minot.

The point I am making is why not have two schools and two varsity programs. Then little Jimmy may stick it out instead off deciding he will never play. He may work a little harder he may turn out just like you we don't know the future.

The more kids that play the less time they will have to spend playing PSP or doing God knows what.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 pm

just because theres more teams doesnt mean more kids will go out....maybe an extra 1 or 2 in that 1850
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 am

baseball wrote:just because theres more teams doesnt mean more kids will go out....maybe an extra 1 or 2 in that 1850

Thanks Baseball! You see where I'm coming from. You can take a horse to water but ya can't make him drink.
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Anyone who really wants to play can make the team. It just depends on how bad you want it. If a player really wants on the team, they will get in shape months before practice, play tough defense, and be a good shooter. Literally every average Joe can do this.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:00 am

balla45 wrote:Anyone who really wants to play can make the team. It just depends on how bad you want it. If a player really wants on the team, they will get in shape months before practice, play tough defense, and be a good shooter. Literally every average Joe can do this.

AMEN!!! I was told the other day, and this make since, basketball is not just a 3-4 month sport. If you want to compete with the big boys, you need to practice 11-12 months out fo the year. This can go for any sport. If you want to be good at something you have to practice, practice, practice... Do ya think Michael Jordan just stopped playing ball when he got cut... I can just about bet ya he hit the gym and said, next year will be different.

So what is your next year gonna be... :D
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:02 am

If you want to compete get involved in other sports and hit the weight room.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby asiantangy99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:14 pm

this is dumb... come on people thier is no way you can let every kid play at a certian sport in schools that have anywhere over 400 kids. How are you going to let 50 kids play on one a basketball team where they will allow 15 kids on the team max.
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Nobody said let every kid play. I graduated with less than 30 kids and we had a varsity JV and soph and frosh team. How can a school that graduates 500 kids not be able to have two varsity teams????????
And I would say two very good varsity teams, at least compared to schools with 200 in the graduating class.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:Nobody said let every kid play. I graduated with less than 30 kids and we had a varsity JV and soph and frosh team. How can a school that graduates 500 kids not be able to have two varsity teams????????And I would say two very good varsity teams, at least compared to schools with 200 in the graduating class.

again because its one school....they could put together 8 varsity teams if they want but it will never change. 1 school = 1 varsity team
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Good thinking, lets get basketball out of the schools!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Parents and community members already know more than any coach in the state.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things