Tyler Hansbrough

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Tyler Hansbrough

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:00 am

BballFan1307 wrote:First off, Cory Higgins averages 17 ppg on a terrible team. Second, he shoots 48 percent. Now, i took just 2 random games Nebraska , he was 3-9 . and Ark. Pine bluff he was 4-10. Does that mean the guys that guarded him in those games were awesome? also, did morningstar guard him every shot that he took so his fga and fgm are all because of morningstar? Don't you get what i'm saying, Hansbrough is known because of his hustle. He hustles so hard that he makes up for having no post moves, no athleticism no postmoves no jumper. He's not known for his hustle because he scores alot. He scores alot and rebounds BECAUSE of his hustle.

First...I just used Higgins because you said thats the only game youve seen, and its notable that both times he played Kansas he shot considerably lower then his percentages. Second, if 48% is bad...whats a good percentage for a guard?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:48 am

Wasn't implying 48% is bad, just had it in there to show that he was held under his average by bad teams, so i dont know how special it is that Morningstar did.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby whateverittakes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 am

balla45 wrote:I must agree with Mr. Knight.

C-Hasheem Thabeet
F-Tyler Hansbrough
F-Blake Griffin
G-James Harden
G-Stephen Curry

Those are the best at their respective positions. Agree or disagree. I think this is basically a consensus, but I do believe some people would put Lawson in there, and move Harden to a F and Griffin to C, and take Thabeet out. Like this.

C-Griffin
F-Hansbrough
F-Harden
G-Curry
G-Lawson

Both of these work for me.
what about Gerald Henderson star watch baby star watch he dunks over people pull up j blocks he has everything baby
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:10 pm

well then if he's not the hardest working good player...then he must be more talented then some of the All Americans and POY candidates...you can't say he's got a bad skill set, AND doesn't out hustle people....your basically trying to say that he's a bad basketball player
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:19 pm

my theory....if he was the 'hardest working' he would work on fundamentals. get a few post moves, consistant jumper oustide 15 feet. thats why its misleading...the stars look like they arent working as hard because they have the fundamentals and skill set to make it seem that way. they konw how to get things done and make it look easy. while because Hansbrough's skills are limited it looks like he works so much harder.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:26 pm

baseball wrote:my theory....if he was the 'hardest working' he would work on fundamentals. get a few post moves, consistant jumper oustide 15 feet. thats why its misleading...the stars look like they arent working as hard because they have the fundamentals and skill set to make it seem that way. they konw how to get things done and make it look easy. while because Hansbrough's skills are limited it looks like he works so much harder.

You dont think he works on fundamentals? wow....I am done posting in this topic
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 pm

The Schwab wrote:
baseball wrote:my theory....if he was the 'hardest working' he would work on fundamentals. get a few post moves, consistant jumper oustide 15 feet. thats why its misleading...the stars look like they arent working as hard because they have the fundamentals and skill set to make it seem that way. they konw how to get things done and make it look easy. while because Hansbrough's skills are limited it looks like he works so much harder.

im sure he does i just used that as a point, hes not the hardest worker because he works on fundamentals 4 hours a day. hes the hardest worker because he runs up the court fast and jumps for looose balls like a crazy man. he could work on fundamentals every day for all i know, maybe even more then anything. but until he shows a few in a game, its hard to argue what ones he has. shot put shot or a dunk. not necessarily the tim duncan of fundamental if u see where im coming from.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:40 pm

baseball wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

im sure he does i just used that as a point, hes not the hardest worker because he works on fundamentals 4 hours a day. hes the hardest worker because he runs up the court fast and jumps for looose balls like a crazy man. he could work on fundamentals every day for all i know, maybe even more then anything. but until he shows a few in a game, its hard to argue what ones he has. shot put shot or a dunk. not necessarily the tim duncan of fundamental if u see where im coming from.

Why fix something that already works? He makes his shots in the post. WHy would he change them to image Tim Duncan's game? I really don't think he cares about the NBA right now.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:51 pm

The Schwab wrote:well then if he's not the hardest working good player...then he must be more talented then some of the All Americans and POY candidates...you can't say he's got a bad skill set, AND doesn't out hustle people....your basically trying to say that he's a bad basketball player

so because hes not the most gifted talent wise....thats why hes the hardest working?? thats a good system
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:53 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:Why fix something that already works? He makes his shots in the post. WHy would he change them to image Tim Duncan's game? I really don't think he cares about the NBA right now.

Luke Harangody could make a hook shot running through the lane 80% of the time, Sherron Collins could take a pull up 3 at the top of the key anytime he wanted. Why would them guys work on other things? it would be pointless because this works and theres no need to learn more skills...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 pm

I'll give Hansbrough credit for sticking to his strengths. Any player who wants to succeed at "the next level" has to develop his strengths more than his weaknesses. If a player is decent at everything, there is no use for that player, compared to a great rebounder and shot blocker, or a great passer and ball handler.

I also won't say Hansbrough is a "bad" basketball player, I think he is a good college player, just not deserving of the accolades he has received. All-American? Yes. National Player Of The Year? No.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Sherron Collins would make a pull up 3 at the top of the key probably 35-40 percent of the time if that. Now, as a 6'9 PF what fundamentals does he need to work on? You can't just say the way he scores because it looks ugly.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm

And yes, I have changed my tone from last year. I think he is much more deserving this year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 pm

balla45 wrote:I'll give Hansbrough credit for sticking to his strengths. Any player who wants to succeed at "the next level" has to develop his strengths more than his weaknesses. If a player is decent at everything, there is no use for that player, compared to a great rebounder and shot blocker, or a great passer and ball handler.

I also won't say Hansbrough is a "bad" basketball player, I think he is a good college player, just not deserving of the accolades he has received. All-American? Yes. National Player Of The Year? No.

I both disagree and agree with this post here....ill agree that its very important to develop your strengths, but in order to succeed you also need to develop your weaknesses just as much if not more, IMO. as you go to "the next level", players are better at taking away your strength so you need a fall back plan. If all you do is work on your strengths youll get eaten up when that gets taken away from you one game.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:10 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:Sherron Collins would make a pull up 3 at the top of the key probably 35-40 percent of the time if that. Now, as a 6'9 PF what fundamentals does he need to work on? You can't just say the way he scores because it looks ugly.

Youve admitted youve only seen one Kansas game. Ive seen everyone thats been on tv, and if not on tv listened on the radio and i can gaurantee hes made more then 35-40% of them. I can only remember him missing a handful of them shots where he can take a dribble and step into it out to 25-26 feet.

he could work on an actual post move. theres a reason it looks ugly, because he has no "true" post moves, beleive it or not he could work on rebounding position. a guy with his "motor" would get A LOT more then 8 rebounds a game if he had the rebounding ability of Blair and Love last year. Blair is 6'7" and best rebouder in the country.,..because position. Which is why Love was so good last year at 6'9". Maybe a little better face up game, give another element for the defense to worry aobut. and of course passing and ability to recognize double teams and find the open man, but thats a useless skill for him with all of the kick outs he does which is why he should work on that
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 pm

baseball wrote:
balla45 wrote:I'll give Hansbrough credit for sticking to his strengths. Any player who wants to succeed at "the next level" has to develop his strengths more than his weaknesses. If a player is decent at everything, there is no use for that player, compared to a great rebounder and shot blocker, or a great passer and ball handler.

I both disagree and agree with this post here....ill agree that its very important to develop your strengths, but in order to succeed you also need to develop your weaknesses just as much if not more, IMO. as you go to "the next level", players are better at taking away your strength so you need a fall back plan. If all you do is work on your strengths youll get eaten up when that gets taken away from you one game.

I know a guy who gives speeches to prospective NBA players (The Wizards for example). One of the things he tells them is that they need to find their niche.

Think about it, Dennis Rodman played in the NBA for a long time. He couldn't shoot. He couldn't score. He couldn't pass. All the did was rebound and play defense, and he made a great career out of that.

Ben Wallace is the same story.

I'm not saying you spend 100% of the time working on your main skillset, but I will say that a player should spend 60-70% of the time working on that. Hansbrough should spend 60-70% of his time working on his post game, and the rest of his practice time working on shooting, handling, etc.

This situation works in the real world too. If you are a very very good psychologist, and can't do math, it is more important to develop your skills as a psychologist and excel in that, than to be a decent psychologist and average at math.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:26 pm

balla45 wrote:
baseball wrote:

I know a guy who gives speeches to prospective NBA players (The Wizards for example). One of the things he tells them is that they need to find their niche.

Think about it, Dennis Rodman played in the NBA for a long time. He couldn't shoot. He couldn't score. He couldn't pass. All the did was rebound and play defense, and he made a great career out of that.

I'm not saying you spend 100% of the time working on your main skillset, but I will say that a player should spend 60-70% of the time working on that. Hansbrough should spend 60-70% of his time working on his post game, and the rest of his practice time working on shooting, handling, etc.

This situation works in the real world too. If you are a very very good psychologist, and can't do math, it is more important to develop your skills as a psychologist and excel in that, than to be a decent psychologist and average at math.

Yea, i understand what your saying. Thats what I agreed with about developing your skills, but theres quite a few things he could work on with the rest of that 30-40% of the time. Just like I'm sure they tell Scheyer to work on his shooting over driving, but if he has an opening to drive, go for it.

My point was that when players declare for the draft just to "test the waters", they go already knowing what their strengths are. But what they are going to find out is what do they need to work more on to be successfull. Every player, not just Hansbrough, as things to work on to perform to the best of their potential.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

baseball wrote:
balla45 wrote:
baseball wrote:

Yea, i understand what your saying. Thats what I agreed with about developing your skills, but theres quite a few things he could work on with the rest of that 30-40% of the time. Just like I'm sure they tell Scheyer to work on his shooting over driving, but if he has an opening to drive, go for it.

My point was that when players declare for the draft just to "test the waters", they go already knowing what their strengths are. But what they are going to find out is what do they need to work more on to be successfull. Every player, not just Hansbrough, as things to work on to perform to the best of their potential.

Oh of course. I still don't think Hansbrough is anything close to a complete player. I'll give him credit for an improved jump shot. Not a good one, but it has improved. I still like him a lot more this year than last year. I still don't think he will do anything in the NBA, but I think he improved his "college skills" so this year, if he was All-American, I don't think I would have as big of a problem with it as I did last year. I still firmly believe he should be a 0-Time National Player Of The Year.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Hansbrough shouldnt have won the Player of the year. Well he did and deserved to. Peyton Manning won the NFL MVP because his team had a successful regular season. When Drew Brees threw for 5000 yards and tons of td's. Why did Manning win? Because he performed, maybe not as well as Brees but he performed and WON games. It's the same situation.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:05 pm

another thing about Hansbrough watching the VaTech game right now...is that he plays transition defense like a junior high girl. is clueless to where the ball is, he comes down the court and finds his man....goes to guard him and has no idea what the ball is doing or where its at.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 pm

any more of a homer line then Bilas saying that the ACC should go to a 10 player first-team all conference and actually believing what he said was a good idea...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 pm

so did hansbrough do anything good tonight? or did you just pay attention to the bad things like usual?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:16 pm

his numbers looked good but he was the 2nd best post player UNC had on the floor tonight. I will compliment him on the one fast break VT had where he was trailing and they tried leaving it for Allen i believe it was that he knocked away, that was good D. Ed Davis impressed me more then Hansbrough. how many times did Hansbrough's guy go right around him?? he missed the rim on about 3 shots from inside 6 feet and barely drew iron on a few more. If they play like that, theres no way they can get tothe Final Four. Green was way too passive.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm

baseball wrote:his numbers looked good but he was the 2nd best post player UNC had on the floor tonight. I will compliment him on the one fast break VT had where he was trailing and they tried leaving it for Allen i believe it was that he knocked away, that was good D. Ed Davis impressed me more then Hansbrough. how many times did Hansbrough's guy go right around him?? he missed the rim on about 3 shots from inside 6 feet and barely drew iron on a few more. If they play like that, theres no way they can get tothe Final Four. Green was way too passive.

Yeah, Ed Davis had a good game i agree. He's a great player, probably UNC's best pro prospect. But how are they not going to the Final Four if they play like that? UNC played some of their better d and improved the 3 point D holding a talented shooting team to 26% behind the arc. UNC can shoot terrible and still win games.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:his numbers looked good but he was the 2nd best post player UNC had on the floor tonight. I will compliment him on the one fast break VT had where he was trailing and they tried leaving it for Allen i believe it was that he knocked away, that was good D. Ed Davis impressed me more then Hansbrough. how many times did Hansbrough's guy go right around him?? he missed the rim on about 3 shots from inside 6 feet and barely drew iron on a few more. If they play like that, theres no way they can get tothe Final Four. Green was way too passive.

Yeah, Ed Davis had a good game i agree. He's a great player, probably UNC's best pro prospect. But how are they not going to the Final Four if they play like that? UNC played some of their better d and improved the 3 point D holding a talented shooting team to 26% behind the arc. UNC can shoot terrible and still win games.

do you honestly think that you saw one of the 4 best teams when you saw UNC play tonight?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things