Tyler Hansbrough

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Tyler Hansbrough

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:58 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i haven't seen every player in college basketball play, so therefore i do not know. However, from who i have seen, i would have to say this year, probably Blake Griffin, i mean thats what the NBA scouts think too. I gotta agree with them. I just don't like how you guys bash hansbrough, when he's not that far away from the likes of griffin and curry. Look at Griffins Freshman year 14 points 9 rebounds, Hansbroughs Freshman year 18 points 8 rebounds. That was before Hansbrough got all the hype. Obviously Griffin is a more athletic , talented, and completed player. He is the best in the nation. But you guys just make it sound like Hansbrough isn't close at all, thats all.

I seem to remember this arguement from about a year ago with a different player inserted where Griffen is. Why didnt you admit he was the best in the nation then?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:07 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:1.5 more assists .9 more steals and . 3 more blocks per game are HUGE, the only substantial edge griffin has is rebounds. But the way you guys talk about hansbrough, how he's not the only one that ever hustles every minute of the game. Hes not athletic, He's not very talented. The way you guys talk about him, i'm surprised hes even close statistically with Griffin. For how dominant you make Griffin sound, he should be averagin 35 and 20, but the fact of the matter is, the less talented, less athletic Hansbrough is always there with the dominant, athletic, talented guys. And dont pull the whole , he's only up there cause the media. Does the media edit his games? Do they score the baskets for him? No, He goes out and earns everything with the work he puts in.

he probably would if he he played in a system like UNC's that gets that many possessions. instead of just looking at the individual numbers and comparing them, you also have to think a little bit. OU get 56 shots per game, UNC get 69. UNC averages 14 OREB, OU avereages 12.

when a team only gets 2 offensive rebounds more a game but still gets 13 more shots, that means they get more possessions, aka meaning higher stats. its just like football, Colt Brennan was called the greatest QB in the history of college football cuz the numbers he put up. was he good or did he get huge numbers cuz he passed 65 time a game?

okay now you have to think a little bit, 3 pointers count as shots too, you left those off your little study, so if you use them, UNC only takes 10 shots more per game. Okay now think about this, UNC takes only 10 more shots per game than Oklahoma, which probably 5 of them are with the 3rd string in the game. Ok, then take into affect that Hansbrough plays TEN less minutes per game than Griffin, the total shots dont really mean anything. Also, of those more shots, how many are Lawson, Ellington and Greens fast break dunk/layups? You need to think a little bit, just because UNC shoots more doesnt mean that Hansbrough should have more rebounds. I think u need to think a little b it.

How does taking 3 pointers change how many more shots UNC takes? are you using the theory that a 3 point shot counts for 1.5 shots like they do for true FG%?

FGA 560 for OU over 10 games....thats 56
FGA 620 for UNC over 9 games....thats 69

FGA stands for field goals attempted....both 2 and 3. and yes....just because UNC shoots more does mean Hansbrough should get more rebounds. not saying they need to be offensive, but when UNC takes that many shots...it means their opponents take more shots as well. thats where the extra opportunites for rebounds come.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:10 pm

great statement about Hansbrough there too on ESPN. ball goes right through his hands but its a bad pass. Ellington led him perfect on the break he just missed it.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Hansbrough is not on the court as much, 10 minutes less than Griffin, how many shots is that.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:28 pm

and after counting up some of the stats on espn, it appears they do count 2's and 3's separate
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:13 am

BballFan1307 wrote:and after counting up some of the stats on espn, it appears they do count 2's and 3's separate

I'll use Hansbrough since this is a topic for him.

32/62 FG.....48/52 FT.....2/4 3FG....114 points

if 2s and 3s are seperate he has 118 points instead of 114

(32x2)+(2x3)+48 = 118
(30x2)+(2x3)+48 = 114

I have yet to find a stats source ever who doesnt count a 3 pointer into field goal attempts.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:15 pm

quick question would you even have this debate if other players had stayed in school, lets say, oh I dont know, how about Kevin Durant?
ndbsktbllfan

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 pm

baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:and after counting up some of the stats on espn, it appears they do count 2's and 3's separate

(32x2)+(2x3)+48 = 118
(30x2)+(2x3)+48 = 114

I have yet to find a stats source ever who doesnt count a 3 pointer into field goal attempts.

yeah i miscounted one of the totals, you are right
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:45 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:quick question would you even have this debate if other players had stayed in school, lets say, oh I dont know, how about Kevin Durant?

guess we'll never know? would we have it , had lebron went to college?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:52 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:quick question would you even have this debate if other players had stayed in school, lets say, oh I dont know, how about Kevin Durant?

but thats what makes the debate fun. is Hansbrough the best player in the country? I personally dont think so but ill be the first to admit he's top 5. Curry, Griffen, Hansbrough, Thabeet, Harden. that would by my 1st team AA. With that list I would put him at 4th best, maybe 3rd best. Curry Griffen= 1/2 then either Harden of Hansbrough. Thabeet the 5th.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:56 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:

(32x2)+(2x3)+48 = 118
(30x2)+(2x3)+48 = 114

yeah i miscounted one of the totals, you are right

ive seen a few boxes that have 2FG and 3FG so i can see where you would think that maybe.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 am

Hansbrough has now past Griffin in PPG, I don't see him passing him in rebounds any time soon though :P haha, Curry just isnt doing it for me, i mean yeah he scores in bunches, but he shoots 25 plus times a game to get 25 points by making 8 shots out of 25 or so
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballdude101 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:51 am

this might sound stupid but i think Tyler Hansbrough is the most overrated underrated player.... hear me out... when they play thats all they talk about is hansbrough, hansbrough this hansbrough that, but otherwise hes soo underrated people hate him and say hes no good, he is my favorite player to watch because u watch him and he always is in perfect position and he works and hustles for everything he does its not the flashy dunks long 3 pointers or anything but he works for everything he gets and is a stud!
bballdude101
NDPreps Starter

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 am

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:08 am

BballFan1307 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&page=predictions09/bilas

so ACC Network picks HAnsbrough to be player of the year again without telling why? o because Bilas knows what he means but doesnt know how to say it? he delivers...his "unbeatable" team lost AT HOME. BC is good yes, but not as good as UNC.

Can you name any games in which he has been outplayed? 2008 Final Four by a Freshman who was the 3rd big man off the bench.

Bilas probably knows more about college ball then anyone else on ESPN so that give this article some credit. but until he "defines" it better then he delivers in big games, cant have much pull. Tyrese Rice delivers. James Harden delivers. McNeal, McAlarney, Collins, Flynn, Harris, Teague, Hummel, Collison, Budinger, Tyler Smith, Vaden, Maynor, Singler. hundreds of players deliver so they should probably pick a different credential to base the award on
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:36 pm

how was he outplayed by aldrich? he had 17 and 9 aldrich had 8 and 7, yeah he blocked him a couple times and played tough d but he wasn't outplayed
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:how was he outplayed by aldrich? he had 17 and 9 aldrich had 8 and 7, yeah he blocked him a couple times and played tough d but he wasn't outplayed

17 and 9 in 36 minutes
8 and 7 in 16 minutes

did you watch the game or just look at the numbers in the box score? Hansbrough couldn't even get a shot off when Aldrich was guarding him. had maybe 1-2 rebounds when he was in the game. Aldrich ripped balls away from him.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:11 pm

BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm

I must agree with Mr. Knight.

C-Hasheem Thabeet
F-Tyler Hansbrough
F-Blake Griffin
G-James Harden
G-Stephen Curry

Those are the best at their respective positions. Agree or disagree. I think this is basically a consensus, but I do believe some people would put Lawson in there, and move Harden to a F and Griffin to C, and take Thabeet out. Like this.

C-Griffin
F-Hansbrough
F-Harden
G-Curry
G-Lawson

Both of these work for me.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby alexanderthegreat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm

I would absolutely love to see a match-up between OU and UNC to see Griffin and Hansbrough duke it out. Personally I think Griffin is the better player/athlete, but Hansbrough makes so much happen with his hustle it would definitely be interesting.
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
alexanderthegreat
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:31 am

brace yourself Hansbrough fans.....compared to Mark Madsen by an NBA draft expert. must be because he's white and only attribute is that he hustles.

"Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
For the first time since his freshman season, Hansbrough is no longer in our top 30. He hasn't been able to bounce back from an early injury and his rebounding numbers are the worst of his college career. Said one NBA executive, "What can I do with an undersized power forward who isn't athletic and doesn't rebound?"

That feeling is shared by many NBA executives who feel Hansbrough will have, at best, a Mark Madsen-type impact in the league. It's still not out of the question that he goes late in the first round, but all of the talk about him being a late-lottery to mid-first-round pick is over."

NBA executive is asking the same question I have on here a few times.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:26 am

ok seriously....NO ONE ON HERE HAS SAID THAT HE WILL BE A FORCE IN THE NBA!!! He is one of the best college basketball players of ALL TIME.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:00 am

baseball wrote:brace yourself Hansbrough fans.....compared to Mark Madsen by an NBA draft expert. must be because he's white and only attribute is that he hustles.

"Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
For the first time since his freshman season, Hansbrough is no longer in our top 30. He hasn't been able to bounce back from an early injury and his rebounding numbers are the worst of his college career. Said one NBA executive, "What can I do with an undersized power forward who isn't athletic and doesn't rebound?"

That feeling is shared by many NBA executives who feel Hansbrough will have, at best, a Mark Madsen-type impact in the league. It's still not out of the question that he goes late in the first round, but all of the talk about him being a late-lottery to mid-first-round pick is over."

NBA executive is asking the same question I have on here a few times.

Yeah Baseball cause we know everytime an "nba expert" says something they are 100% correct. They were the same people talking up guys like Shawn Bradley, Andrew Bogut, and Darko Milicic. If you want to read about what I think about this subject read this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1465 ... ark-madsen

Just because you are a UNC hater doesn't mean you have to sacrifice the small amount of intelligence you MIGHT have had just to "get a rise" out of us UNC fans like Bballfan1307 and myself.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:32 pm

i think you guys miss the point that they forsee his NBA career to that of Mark Madsen's...thus the comparison. OK..he averaged more points in college and shot better from the line. He'll be able to do that against guys like Lamar Odom, Dirk, Amare Stoudimire, etc...that's where the comparison comes.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:41 pm

baseball wrote:i think you guys miss the point that they forsee his NBA career to that of Mark Madsen's...thus the comparison. OK..he averaged more points in college and shot better from the line. He'll be able to do that against guys like Lamar Odom, Dirk, Amare Stoudimire, etc...that's where the comparison comes.

I think you're an idiot for agreeing with them that his NBA career will be similar to Madsen's. I don't think unless put into the right system he will be as good but if he gets put on a team that likes to run as much as UNC he could score some in the NBA playing 20-25 minutes off the bench. Nowhere have any of us said he's going to be a perennial all-star, mvp candidate or anything like that.

You are so narrow-minded and such a UNC hater than anytime a so-called "expert" says something bad about UNC or a UNC player, you've got to jump all over it. I was saying the same stuff about Redick coming out of college. I said if he was put on a team that likes to get up and down the floor, has a good big guy to open up the outside, he could come in and be a good player off the bench to hit some three's for his team. He gets drafted by Orlando which has all of those things. He just doesn't get to play much because Stan Van Gundy does not like him for some reason. He's starting to get to play a little more now and has hit some big shots for Orlando. I'm going to try and avoid every topic you post in because I'd have better luck asking my 10-month old nephew the same things I ask you.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things