Tyler Hansbrough

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Tyler Hansbrough

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:15 pm

baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:his numbers looked good but he was the 2nd best post player UNC had on the floor tonight. I will compliment him on the one fast break VT had where he was trailing and they tried leaving it for Allen i believe it was that he knocked away, that was good D. Ed Davis impressed me more then Hansbrough. how many times did Hansbrough's guy go right around him?? he missed the rim on about 3 shots from inside 6 feet and barely drew iron on a few more. If they play like that, theres no way they can get tothe Final Four. Green was way too passive.

Yeah, Ed Davis had a good game i agree. He's a great player, probably UNC's best pro prospect. But how are they not going to the Final Four if they play like that? UNC played some of their better d and improved the 3 point D holding a talented shooting team to 26% behind the arc. UNC can shoot terrible and still win games.

do you honestly think that you saw one of the 4 best teams when you saw UNC play tonight?

Yes i honestly do, thats what the 2 by their name is for. But really, that is how good they are, they can shoot 40 percent from the feild and still control a basketball game. That was about a 13 point game until the last minute with the foul and 3 point brigade. But i do wish they'd start playin like they did early on and not play down to the competition. Seems like they are just doing enough to get by.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:26 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:his numbers looked good but he was the 2nd best post player UNC had on the floor tonight. I will compliment him on the one fast break VT had where he was trailing and they tried leaving it for Allen i believe it was that he knocked away, that was good D. Ed Davis impressed me more then Hansbrough. how many times did Hansbrough's guy go right around him?? he missed the rim on about 3 shots from inside 6 feet and barely drew iron on a few more. If they play like that, theres no way they can get tothe Final Four. Green was way too passive.

Yeah, Ed Davis had a good game i agree. He's a great player, probably UNC's best pro prospect. But how are they not going to the Final Four if they play like that? UNC played some of their better d and improved the 3 point D holding a talented shooting team to 26% behind the arc. UNC can shoot terrible and still win games.

do you honestly think that you saw one of the 4 best teams when you saw UNC play tonight?

Yes i honestly do, thats what the 2 by their name is for. But really, that is how good they are, they can shoot 40 percent from the feild and still control a basketball game. That was about a 13 point game until the last minute with the foul and 3 point brigade. But i do wish they'd start playin like they did early on and not play down to the competition. Seems like they are just doing enough to get by.

why i said it didnt seem like a Final four team tonight. they played soft lately and seems like they have the mindset that they just walk in the gym and the oppenent will quit. you cant play to your competition because in the tournament (sweet 16 and elite 8) they will play teams better then VaTech.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 pm

no i agree with you there. They always think they have the game won before it starts, which ticks me off. But i think they'll pull together. I think they'll get to the Final Four, not sure if they'll win it all though. Ellington is going to be huge during the Tourney run. He makes his shots they win.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:09 pm

I've thought that for 2 years now, Hansbrough and Lawson may get all the press for the team, but the success is all depending on how Ellington shoots the ball. He hits, noone in the country will touch them. He has a cold night, they can get beat in the 2nd round, Sweet 16 type of game....i think they will atleast get to the second weekend even if he doesnt make a shot though.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

yeah, especially this year. They have too much talent to lose that early. I also think Deon Thompson is one of the most underrated players in the Country along with Green. Whats happenin in the Big 12 tonight? jeesh. Oklahoma is human with Griffin after all. Kansas is gettin whooped.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:50 am

BballFan1307 wrote:yeah, especially this year. They have too much talent to lose that early. I also think Deon Thompson is one of the most underrated players in the Country along with Green. Whats happenin in the Big 12 tonight? jeesh. Oklahoma is human with Griffin after all. Kansas is gettin whooped.

it was ugly watching Kansas my god....your star goes 3-19, Aldrich in foul trouble all night (sprains his ankle on top of that), Mc.Morris fouls out, Mk.Morris in foul trouble with the only contribution being a technical. Taylor suffers an injury that looked ugly as he was walking. and Tech cant miss a 3....after all that a 24 point loss isnt so bad haha. I do have to wonder if the refs had something against Morris going into tonight, couple ticky tack fouls and its the same ref that t'd up the same Morris earlier in the year....dont say im using that as an excuse because there is no excuse for 24 points haha.

As for Oklahoma, I dont think losing at Missouri can be considered a bad thing this year. 18-0 at home.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:18 am

I started thinking when you guys said Hansbrough didn't belong on the All-American team and i started thinking yeah maybe he doesn't. To me it didn't seem like he's been having that great of a year. But, he still is thats the thing. It may seem like he's not, but he's having a great year. Out of all the guys you've mentioned he's having the probably 3rd best year. Obviously Griffin number 1 he's a given. Curry number 2 both are locks for All American team. Say what you want i know Griffin dominates the rebounding but Hansbrough is right there with him in the points category only .5 behind. Now to the argument that Harangody deserves it over Tyler. Harangody averages 2 more points per game. This season he has taken 200+ more shots than hansbrough. He's also shooting only 46 percent from the field whereas Hansbrough is at 54 percent. I know that Hansbrough isn't better than Griffin or Curry. But to say he is not deserving to be a 1st team All American just seems like an insult. Yes, the guy doesn't look pretty playin, but he plays and he produces. That's all i'm going to say and i'm done posting in this topic for now.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 pm

For a guy like Hansbrough who doesn't just have the raw talent like a Griffin or Curry and has to work his absolute hardest for everything he gets, I'm not shocked that his numbers are down this year. His freshman year he averaged 19 ppg and has been steadily around that area his whole career. He has improved his game in the four years at UNC but hasn't really improved his numbers. When other teams game plan against him the coach probably tells his bigs to play smart on defense and work your butt off or he's going to get his. Another factor in his production being slightly down is that when you play for UNC who started the season as the only unanimous pre-season number 1 in college basketball history, you're going to get the other teams best shot every single night. On top of that when you're the reigning national player of the year you're going to get it even more than the other players on your team. The thing that impressess me and should all of you the most about Hansbrough is his unselfishness. How many guys that are the reigning NPOTY and are on a top ranked team would be as great of a teammate as he is? He doesn't force the ball on offense just to get his numbers. He realizes there are 3 or 4 other legit players on the team that can score for UNC and lets his game come to him. He looks for second chance points, lay-ups, and open shots. The only reason he even came back this year is so he could win a national championship. I don't think it would bother Hansbrough if he doesn't win the NPOTY award as long as UNC is the last team to cut down the nets.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:52 pm

The main reason i do hate Blake Griffin, is because he's the cockiest player i've ever seen play. Every time he makes a shot he stares down someone like he' god. If he scores and thinks he gets fouled he stares down the ref. yeah real cool.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote: The thing that impressess me and should all of you the most about Hansbrough is his unselfishness. How many guys that are the reigning NPOTY and are on a top ranked team would be as great of a teammate as he is? He doesn't force the ball on offense just to get his numbers. .

you see the game when he got the UNC scoring record? first 8 touches....8 shots. MAYBE 2 were good clean looks. he may be a good teammate that he wants the team to win and he cares more about a win then points, hes not a look for the open guy type of good teammate....as indicated by his sky high assists numbers. also loved his unselfish arms in the air on the way downcourt on the basket when he got the record...your right though, he wasnt counting his points that night.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm

baseball wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote: The thing that impressess me and should all of you the most about Hansbrough is his unselfishness. How many guys that are the reigning NPOTY and are on a top ranked team would be as great of a teammate as he is? He doesn't force the ball on offense just to get his numbers. .

you see the game when he got the UNC scoring record? first 8 touches....8 shots. MAYBE 2 were good clean looks. he may be a good teammate that he wants the team to win and he cares more about a win then points, hes not a look for the open guy type of good teammate....as indicated by his sky high assists numbers. also loved his unselfish arms in the air on the way downcourt on the basket when he got the record...your right though, he wasnt counting his points that night.

Wow baseball. When I didn't think you could possibly say anything dumber, you went above and beyond. Anytime a player is close to a record of that magnitude they're probably going to get a little anxious and force the ball. But remember, it's only ONE game, ONE. It took four years for you to find a game where Hansbrough took "bad shots". Being the number one scorer in UNC history is a very big accomplishment and you're belittling him because he took "bad shots" in the game he broke the record. In any record setting game the team involved is trying to get the record for that player because they realize everything they've done to deserve that moment.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:35 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
baseball wrote:

Wow baseball. When I didn't think you could possibly say anything dumber, you went above and beyond. Anytime a player is close to a record of that magnitude they're probably going to get a little anxious and force the ball. But remember, it's only ONE game, ONE. It took four years for you to find a game where Hansbrough took "bad shots". Being the number one scorer in UNC history is a very big accomplishment and you're belittling him because he took "bad shots" in the game he broke the record. In any record setting game the team involved is trying to get the record for that player because they realize everything they've done to deserve that moment.

took 4 years for a game with bad shots? he takes bad shots every game, that was just one example. I'm not belittling his record, thats amazing and hes what? 70 points from JJ's record? every game he plays in and everytime he touches the ball he looks for his shot before anything else, and when he doesnt have it right away, he tries to force it to a point where he can get one. him passing his a last resort bailout. hes unselfish when he says "whatever it takes for the team to win" in an interview....4 years at UNC and the national spotlight you pick up little gems like that for press conferences and interviews.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:22 am

Every game huh? Not a chance. Bad shots are shots early in the shot clock, hand in your face, fading away with two guys on you type of shots. Hansbrough doesn't get the ball with 30 seconds on the shot clock and drive the lane like a maniac to try to find a lay-up. He's one of the most patient players in college basketball players. Thats one of the things he gets praised for most during games is how he lets the offense come to him. I'm not saying he never takes bad shots cause every player does, even some of the guys from your beloved Jayhawks (*gasp*) take bad shots. Apparently his shots aren't that bad since he's on the verge of breaking the all-time ACC scoring record and is shooting at 55% from the field for his career. He's also improved his FT % from 73 percent his freshman year to around 86 percent this season. Most of the time when he takes a questionable or "bad" shot he's trying to get to the free throw line and for the most part he gets there. I'm not sure what else I can say about this topic. I guess Hansbrough doesn't score pretty enough for you.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:08 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Every game huh? Not a chance. Bad shots are shots early in the shot clock, hand in your face, fading away with two guys on you type of shots. Hansbrough doesn't get the ball with 30 seconds on the shot clock and drive the lane like a maniac to try to find a lay-up. He's one of the most patient players in college basketball players. Thats one of the things he gets praised for most during games is how he lets the offense come to him. I'm not saying he never takes bad shots cause every player does, even some of the guys from your beloved Jayhawks (*gasp*) take bad shots. Apparently his shots aren't that bad since he's on the verge of breaking the all-time ACC scoring record and is shooting at 55% from the field for his career. He's also improved his FT % from 73 percent his freshman year to around 86 percent this season. Most of the time when he takes a questionable or "bad" shot he's trying to get to the free throw line and for the most part he gets there. I'm not sure what else I can say about this topic. I guess Hansbrough doesn't score pretty enough for you.

I didnt get a chance to watch the Duke game yesterday so i cant comment on his play, but i have yet to see a game where he didnt take atleast one shot while double teamed...

I'll agree about Kansas (whoa), every time Releford and the Morris twins take a shot outside the lane I'm ready to kill them. Collins forces more shots then he needs to.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 pm

The fact is there is no game where everyone takes "good shots" just because Hansbrough is as publicized as he is doesn't mean he doesn't either. You (baseball) are making it sound like he takes bad shots all the time. He is double teamed as soon as he gets the ball and outside of transition dunks/lay-ups he doesn't get many good clean looks at the basket. Yesterday he knocked in 2 three's in the first 4 minutes of the game. He has mastered the off-balance shots that look bad. Just because it's not pretty, doesn't mean they are bad.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 pm

baseball wrote:i think you guys miss the point that they forsee his NBA career to that of Mark Madsen's...thus the comparison. OK..he averaged more points in college and shot better from the line. He'll be able to do that against guys like Lamar Odom, Dirk, Amare Stoudimire, etc...that's where the comparison comes.

Well... 29 and 8 against stoudemire tonight.... mark madsen?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baloncesto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:02 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
baseball wrote:i think you guys miss the point that they forsee his NBA career to that of Mark Madsen's...thus the comparison. OK..he averaged more points in college and shot better from the line. He'll be able to do that against guys like Lamar Odom, Dirk, Amare Stoudimire, etc...that's where the comparison comes.

Well... 29 and 8 against stoudemire tonight.... mark madsen?

Yeah man. He's making u eat ur words
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things