Retired Jeresy numbers

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby ndfan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:07 pm

Greg Eslinger just had his #61 retired recently in Bismarck. Any other high school athletes in the state have their number retired? Anybody against retiring a high school athletes number?

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles ... 113594.txt
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:38 pm

I think retiring a High School jersey is a great tribute to a player.  I do think that the waiting period or decision to retire the jersey should happen at the end of the players career. I certainly hope this is not the end of Mr. Eslinger's career.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:04 pm

not to discredit him he was a great collage player but he hsnt done anything yet in pros i think it was a very hasty decision but he had a subperb collage career
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:14 am

I don't think you need to have a great pro career to have your high school number retired. Kid was AAA player of the year in 2001, how many linemen can say that? He won the Outland best interior linemen in the country and the Rimington the best center in the country. Was a FIRST TEAM ALL AMERICAN in D-1A how many guys from North Dakota can say that? He's already one of the best linemen to come out of the state if not the best. Well deserved and not to hasty in my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:38 am

This statement has nothing to do with Greg himself and this will never be an issue with him, but when an honor is given so soon I think that it can set up the program for an embarrasment later on in life.  Note I don't think greg falls into this category!

I do however see the point of doing it now.  There is no guarantee that he doesn't get hurt in camp(really hope that isn't the cases).
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things