Farve retires

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Farve retires

Postby bballfan_05 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 am

According to ESPN, Brett Farve has called it quits after 17 years with the Pack. So I guess the million dollar question is how does he rank among the best that ever played.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Re: Farve retires

Postby scruffy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:58 pm

As a Packer fan, I thank God he was on my team and I've been able to rely on him as our quarterback for 17 years. What an incredible career! A player like this comes around once or twice a generation and I feel lucky he was a part of the Green Bay Packers, Inc. :D
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Roughrider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 pm

as a Vikings fan, im happy that he is gone now because the North Division can finally come back to the Vikings but i am going to miss the competition. i looked forward to the Packers and Vikings every year because with Favre back there you never know whats goign to happen. now it just isnt going to be the same.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:22 pm

I'll believe he's retired when Rogers takes the first snap of the first game of the 08 regular season....
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby andy_7 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:46 pm

As a Viking fan as well, the whole rivalry between the vikes and packers for me was hating on Brett. Now that he is gone the rivalry won't really mean as much to me anymore as it did in the past. Even though I have been quoted as saying Farve might me the antichrist, you have to respect him as a person and as one of the best qbs ever to play.
andy_7

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Hinsa wrote:I'll believe he's retired when Rogers takes the first snap of the first game of the 08 regular season....

I'm with you. I know he wasnt too happy that GB didnt pick up Moss, could he have been venting a little? Maybe he'll calm down. Maybe hes definetely done. We'll see.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby tcbison » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:59 pm

I got to see Favre play earlier in the season against San Diego at Lambeau. What a special treat! I would say he did a lot for Green Bay and its fans. I would also say he did a lot for the NFL. He had to be the most liked/respected player in his era. I mean who else can go into Oakland and get a standing ovation. Anyway, I wouldn't say he is the best ever but he did bring Green Bay from being a losing fanchise to being a winning one and that in my book says a lot.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby demon_fan14 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 am

glad to see this.....Aaron Rogers should do well with a great receiver core
demon_fan14

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:10 am

how many people knew Warren Sapp retired on March 4th too??? just goes to show how Favre is TOO PUBLISIZED......
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:22 am

baseball wrote:how many people knew Warren Sapp retired on March 4th too??? just goes to show how Favre is TOO PUBLISIZED......

I had seen it, but I think Sapp probably liked it that way just to keep the media outta his face. At some point he will be inducted into the hall of fame and wouldn't it be great if him and Favre went in together.. That would make for some good times.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:41 am

ndfan wrote:
baseball wrote:how many people knew Warren Sapp retired on March 4th too??? just goes to show how Favre is TOO PUBLISIZED......

I had seen it, but I think Sapp probably liked it that way just to keep the media outta his face. At some point he will be inducted into the hall of fame and wouldn't it be great if him and Favre went in together.. That would make for some good times.

i woulda rather had it the way Sapp did too, do you think Favre wante cameras in his face 24-7....maybe Sapp did it once he heard Favre did becuase he knew it would be this way?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:46 am

It just shows the diference in those two men's personalities. Favre was everyone's favorite because of his ablity to seem like one of us. The average fan found it easy to relate to Brett and what he stood for and what he went through. Sapp was only concerned about himself and couldn't remember when to keep his mouth shut. It comes down to the diference in "respect" those two men got from their peers, the media and the average fan.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby sports for life » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:34 pm

brett favre is the greatest qb to ever play the game of football
sports for life
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:30 pm

sports for life wrote:brett favre is the greatest qb to ever play the game of football

brett favre isn't the greatest quarterback to play for the packers
rep

Postby grlsbballfan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

rep wrote:
sports for life wrote:brett favre is the greatest qb to ever play the game of football

Then who is. EXPLAIN
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:27 am

grlsbballfan wrote:
rep wrote:

Then who is. EXPLAIN

guy by the name of bart starr...only lost one playoff game, won two super bowls...he wasn't too shabby
rep

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:12 pm

You could make a strong case for Bart Starr. He won five world titles (granted with a stronger supporting cast in a different era), had a long sixteen or seventeen year career and also was named the NFL mvp during his tenure. The one thing that makes Starr stand out is the fact that he RARELY made the mistake that cost his team a victory. He always played smart. Now, I'm a huge Favre fan, but Brett would take more chances and by doing that he not only won many for us, but he lost some big games for us as well. I feel lucky that both men played for the Green Bay Packers, Inc... :D
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby asiantangy99 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:47 pm

rep wrote:
grlsbballfan wrote:
rep wrote:

Then who is. EXPLAIN

guy by the name of bart starr...only lost one playoff game, won two super bowls...he wasn't too shabby

ya i agree favre has names like montana, marino, starr, and bradshaw to compete with thier
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Postby chevyman11 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Great QB but IMO I think he ranks under those that asiantangy99 listed.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby asiantangy99 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 pm

chevyman11 wrote:Great QB but IMO I think he ranks under those that asiantangy99 listed.

idk does anyone have any other qbs other then I listed that might be as good or if not better to favre
asiantangy99
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things