Should college athletes be paid?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Should College Athletes Be Paid?

All athletes should be paid
8%
Only athletes who play revenue-generating sports
46%
No athlete should be paid
46%

Total votes : 13

Postby ndfan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:42 am

I'm not saying college athletes should be paid millions of dollars, but the NCAA makes tons of money off college athletes every year on the bowl games and NCAA basketball tournament alone. Any thoughts?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saas25 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:43 am

The whole point of going to college is to get your education.  If you start paying college athletes than it would be just like the pros.  There would be no point for college athletics if they are getting paid because they could just go pro.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby Honus355 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:26 am

In essence College Athletes in revenue (and non-revenue) generating sports are being paid at most levels, they are being paid in scholarship money. However, it would be wrong to pay the student-athlete money on the side because these athletes know, coming into the school, that their performance will lead to the raising of money.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm

College is for an education, in no way should they receive anything but the scholarship they came in on. Playing in the NBA or NFL is a priviledge for great athletes and they deserve to make money doing that.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby 1337 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:24 am

No I don't feel they should be paid, but I do feel the NCAA restrictions need to be modified somewhat. I think the best case in point is I believe a Utah player's dad had died, and Coach Majerus was just trying to be there for the kid and got in trouble for buying him a hamburger at McDonalds. That seems a bit excessive. But I'm sure the reason they can't even allow that is because if you give them an inch they'll take a mile.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wombat » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:59 am

I say why not! College athletes may get scholarship money but what good is that when their car breaks down? I don't think that they should be paid substantial amounts of money but it wouldn't hurt to pay them something. And i'm not positive but isn't there some sort of rule that prevents athletes from holding a job or something like that? I think that if they were paid there would have to be a standard that they must meet first such as a 3.0 GPA and 90% class attendance or something to that matter. Then you are still emphasizing the reason why you go to college! I know many athletes who are college level athletes that don't play because they have to work to afford school and their living expenses. There just isn't time for school, work, and sports!
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndplayer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 am

Wombat wrote:I say why not! College athletes may get scholarship money but what good is that when their car breaks down?

What good is that money if their car breaks down?  About as good as any other student's money that goes to paying for school.  College students aren't supposed to be financially strong.  As far as I know, most atheletes do get what they call a weekly allowance because it's hard to get a job.  But that would be unfair to kids that go to college strictly for education.  And the idea of maintaining a 3.0 and attending class, that already is a rule for maintaining their scholarship.  A college education is a privilege, not a job.
ndplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:20 pm

Most recruits rely on being a good student and scholarship money. Not just your sports scholarship. Being a good student goes a long ways. You can bank thousands of dollars by applying for, and recieving scholarship money. Most athletes do not realize how hard it is to be a student athlete in college compared to high school. The athletes who work their butts off in the classroom and actually apply early for scholarships have money in college and do not need to hold a job. Financial aid is like a paycheck for a semester for most kids, until you have to pay it back;)
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things