NFL = No Fun League?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby 1337 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:52 pm

I swear I just heard a report from John Clayton that there will be no end-zone celebrations allowed this year? Anyone else hear/confirm this?

Thoughts if it is true?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Nothing has been voted yet but probably will be. Here is what they can and cant do.

players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands.

What they can't do is use the ball as a prop in their routine. Nor can they do any celebrating on the ground or be part of any group effort. And when the referee warns them that their celebration has gone on too long and needs to stop, they must stop … or be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct that would be assessed on the ensuing kickoff.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:00 pm

[user=20]ndfan[/user] wrote:
Nothing has been voted yet but probably will be. Here is what they can and cant do.

players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands.

What they can't do is use the ball as a prop in their routine. Nor can they do any celebrating on the ground or be part of any group effort. And when the referee warns them that their celebration has gone on too long and needs to stop, they must stop … or be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct that would be assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

This more closely mirrors the college rules then, no?

I can live with that I think.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:41 am

NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbjay » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 pm

I was listening to the talk shows and I think this is a good thing.  The one thing the NFL has done is not let it become an individual game like the NBA.  By restricting individualism, like end zone dances, the NFL keeps the team atmosphere that makes it successful.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:24 pm

i'm curious if the rules encompass the 'michael irvin/chris carter first down dance where it looks like he just scored a point fencing' or the andre rison 'i'm going to dance if i caught the ball on third and eight and only got six yards...oh well' dance.

or does it just encompass strickly in the endzone activities?
rep

Postby 1337 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:39 am

rep wrote:i'm curious if the rules encompass the 'michael irvin/chris carter first down dance where it looks like he just scored a point fencing' or the andre rison 'i'm going to dance if i caught the ball on third and eight and only got six yards...oh well' dance.

or does it just encompass strickly in the endzone activities?

I started to think about this very thing myself last night. It is kind of pointless to ban end zone celebrations if you're going to let every other celebration on the field stand. I guess I haven't quite yet figured out the best solution, but you should at least keep it equal.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:30 am

With the new celebration thing in all, it wont really matter with Chad Johnson.  No matter how much his team will be up or down he will still be dancing after every touchdown: until the league hand cuffs him.
Last edited by Ming01 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby KPuck34 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:55 pm

FYI - I just found this story on espn.com regarding the NFL voting to rein in TD celebrations.  It was updated March 29, 2006, 6:13 PM ET.  Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062
KPuck34
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND Scout » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:05 pm

I think that it is dumb why keep the players from having fun i mean some goes a little over board but what wrong is it to do stuff like Chad and but thats my opion i guess:D
ND Scout
NDPreps Rookie

Postby twinsfan34 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:22 pm

I wish all NFL players would just hand the ball to the nearest official after scoring a touchdown.  I know it would be boring to us fans, but it is just the right thing to do.  Football is a team sport, not an individual sport.  Celebrate after the game.  If you're lucky enough, you would be able to celebrate your personal accomplishments as well as your team's victory.
twinsfan34

Postby rep » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:30 pm

i have no problem with spontaneous celebration...you bust your hump for weeks/years and get into the end zone, you should be able to be happy about it and express it. if an offensive/defensive lineman gets into the end zone...i want to see a fat guy spike the ball and maybe do a dance before grabbing an oxygen mask.

but right about the time players are digging cell phones out of goal posts/etc, yeah, i think that has crossed a line of good taste and is no longer 'just players having fun.'

i really don't have a problem with guys like t.o. or chad johnson doing it...i think they have a tendency to actually be creative with some of it. but when other guys, some of the b-squad guys try to imitate them with their own 'creativity'...eh...i think it is better off just putting a stop to all of it.

rep

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:13 pm

I agree, spontaneous celebration is fine, planned celebrations such as the marker in the sock or the cell phone deal is overboard.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things