2008 NBA draft

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

2008 NBA draft

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:44 pm

The new projections are out on http://www.nbadraft.net. It would be nice to see Beasley paired up with Jefferson next year.'

This year in nothing more than an extended practice session for the Timberwolves, with the instructions not to screw up the worst record in the league, and therefore best chance at number 1.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2008 NBA draft

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:02 pm

there are a few names i dont honestly understand in there. DeAndre Jordan isnt even the best player on his team...anyone heard of Josh Carter?? i cant complain that Rush and Arthur were taken off the list just due to my Kansas fanhood but Sasha Kaun....not a chance. hes 6'11" but cant really do a thing on the college level, how do they expect him to do anything in the NBA. they have all these freshman in the top ten and yet Kyle Singler isnt even on the board at all. just my thoughts
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 am

It would be wise for the Wolves to take Roy Hibbert, they need a big man anyways and they already have good young guards/fowards
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:21 am

I don't know if they get the number 1 they gotta go with the best player and develop around him. Beasely is just too good of a talent to pass up, just go to youtube and look at some of his highlight tapes, he is such a complete player it's unbelievable. And he will only get better if he stays healthy. The centers that will be available are just too soft for the NBA, better to get shot blocker/rebounder via free agency, or hope someone slips down for their second pick. Now if the plan gets screwed up, and they end up drafting 4th, then Hibbert is an option.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 am

Hibbert is built to be more of an NBA center along with Thabeet. in the college game big men are expected to run the floor like any other player but in the NBA theres is maybe 2-3 that step out and play on the perimeter. the Memphis game was a good example for that. Hibbert is a 7'2" Center and he had to gaurd a 6'9" center who beat him up and down the floor every possesion. wait until the Georgetown-UConn game to see 2 "NBA Centers" play with Hibbert vs. Thabeet. Both will be good NBA centers because they will gaurd other 7 footers who play 95% of the time on the block.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GFRR99 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:33 pm

i think thabeet will be alot better in the nba than hibbert
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:08 pm

You guys think Kevin Love leaves after this season?? I think if he stayed another year or two he'd be even a higher pick, what ya think?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:25 pm

ndfan wrote:You guys think Kevin Love leaves after this season?? I think if he stayed another year or two he'd be even a higher pick, what ya think?

I am really high on Kevin Love. Big NBA body like Elton Brand. A complete post game with good free throw shooting as an added bonus. Can step out for the 18-20 footer. Very good rebounder. Amazing passer for a big man, something like a Chris Webber. I am predicting somewhere around 14 points, 7-9 boards, and 3-4 assists as a rookie.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:33 pm

balla45 wrote:
ndfan wrote:You guys think Kevin Love leaves after this season?? I think if he stayed another year or two he'd be even a higher pick, what ya think?

I am really high on Kevin Love. Big NBA body like Elton Brand. A complete post game with good free throw shooting as an added bonus. Can step out for the 18-20 footer. Very good rebounder. Amazing passer for a big man, something like a Chris Webber. I am predicting somewhere around 14 points, 7-9 boards, and 3-4 assists as a rookie.

im high on him as a college player but not as an NBA player. hes a guy who isnt big enough for the center but not agile enough for the PF. hes too small to gaurd guys like Shaq, Bynum, Yao, etc... and not quick enough to gaurd guys like Dirk and Stoudamire.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:36 pm

What about O.J mayo to??? I thought he's better then the 11th pick or am i wrong?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby whocares? » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:03 am

i wouldn't be surprised if evan kendall was drafted. :D

if hansbrough goes out, would he be a lottery pick with his lack of size?
whocares?

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 am

whocares? wrote:i wouldn't be surprised if evan kendall was drafted. :D

Mark Madsen has already proven that players like him (Tyler Hansbrough) and the league don't work out.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:45 am

balla45 wrote:

Mark Madsen has already proven that players like him (Tyler Hansbrough) and the league don't work out.

whats with you guys comparing hansbrough and madsen, they are nothing similar, yeah they both hustle and play d, but hansbrough is a scorer, madsen wasnt his highest single season average was about 14 ppg, hansbrough as averaged over 18 every year and 22 this year. He is on a Way higher level offensively than madsen ever was.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

whats with you guys comparing hansbrough and madsen, they are nothing similar, yeah they both hustle and play d, but hansbrough is a scorer, madsen wasnt his highest single season average was about 14 ppg, hansbrough as averaged over 18 every year and 22 this year. He is on a Way higher level offensively than madsen ever was.

they compare him to Madsen because thats the player he will be in the NBA. Just like everyong knew Joahkim Noah will be just like Anderson Varejo? The reason is because Hansbrough isnt big enough to play on the block and has no game outside 8 feet at all. he'll hit the occasional 15 footer, but not at a good enough percentage. He'll have a good NBA career jsut like Madsen did, but he will never be an all-star or MVP type player. great hustle player who will get 12 ppg and 8 rpg
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:28 am

i'm not saying he's going to be an all star or anything, but i think he will be better and not the type of player madsen is, he has much more ability to score. Madsen's highes season average in college i want to say was 14 or 15 , so he never really was a scorer, always just a great defender and hustler, on the other hand hansbrough has a great scoiring ability and i think he'll make some good progress in the nba.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:17 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:i'm not saying he's going to be an all star or anything, but i think he will be better and not the type of player madsen is, he has much more ability to score. Madsen's highes season average in college i want to say was 14 or 15 , so he never really was a scorer, always just a great defender and hustler, on the other hand hansbrough has a great scoiring ability and i think he'll make some good progress in the nba.

The only 6'8'' power forward I can think of who does alot at the NBA level offensively is Elton Brand. He is much more athletic, stronger, and actually has a jump shot. Hansbrough is a hard worker who does well at the college level, but he doesn't have the strength, length, or even skill to be more than a role playing rebounder. If you watch him play a game, he will get 20 points while giving up 15. Also, most of his scoring is due to Lawson's penetration. Imagine Hansbrough trying to go against a good offensive and defensive player like Love on the college level. I imagine the lines would read out something like Hansbrough: 14 points (5-14)(4-4) 7 rebounds, not bad, but not NBA caliber, Love: 21 points (8-12) with one three (4-5) 13 rebounds.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:09 pm

balla45 wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:i'm not saying he's going to be an all star or anything, but i think he will be better and not the type of player madsen is, he has much more ability to score. Madsen's highes season average in college i want to say was 14 or 15 , so he never really was a scorer, always just a great defender and hustler, on the other hand hansbrough has a great scoiring ability and i think he'll make some good progress in the nba.

The only 6'8'' power forward I can think of who does alot at the NBA level offensively is Elton Brand. He is much more athletic, stronger, and actually has a jump shot. Hansbrough is a hard worker who does well at the college level, but he doesn't have the strength, length, or even skill to be more than a role playing rebounder. If you watch him play a game, he will get 20 points while giving up 15. Also, most of his scoring is due to Lawson's penetration. Imagine Hansbrough trying to go against a good offensive and defensive player like Love on the college level. I imagine the lines would read out something like Hansbrough: 14 points (5-14)(4-4) 7 rebounds, not bad, but not NBA caliber, Love: 21 points (8-12) with one three (4-5) 13 rebounds.

the last couple games, dont look like his scoring has been affected too much by having no lawson. 39 points last game without Lawson, so how can you say thats how he gets most ofhis points? and i'm not going to go by stats that YOU think MIGHT happen if he played against love.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:11 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

the last couple games, dont look like his scoring has been affected too much by having no lawson. 39 points last game without Lawson, so how can you say thats how he gets most ofhis points? and i'm not going to go by stats that YOU think MIGHT happen if he played against love.

He had 39 that is true. He also played a double overtime game against Clemson. Wait until he gets to the NBA and he goes against even a Kwame Brown type player. Kwame is going to push Hanbrough out to 10 feet where he is useless and Kwame will score at will. Hanbrough is 6'8'' 6'9''. Imagine him trying to get something done against a player like a Tayshaun Prince. Or if you want to make it a great player, how many points would Amare or Elton have on him? Hansbrough doesn't play defense, and all of his points are garbage. If you take garbage out of his game, which the NBA's garbage men (Shawn Marion, Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire) will, he is useless. Add to that the physicality of the NBA, where he won't get a foul called everytime he flies into somebody, and he is a useless player.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:23 pm

http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/ty ... rough.html

NBADRAFT.NET agree with me in the Mark Madsen comparison.

Weaknesses: One of Hansbrough’s most glaring weaknesses is that he isn’t a superior athlete … He doesn’t show much vertical explosiveness and lacks super quickness … Has shown that he can be disrupted offensively when guarded by taller more athletic players … Defensively his lack of explosiveness and wingspan doesn’t allow him to be much of a shot blocker … Although he is an adequate post defender his average lateral quickness will hurt his perimeter offense … Still needs to develop his post footwork as he picks up travel violations from time to time … Although he has shown a good array of moves with his back to the basket, he'll need to polish them to have any success againt the NBA elite … He could stand to become more comfortable facing the basket … The fact that he is a year older than most in his class has led some to suggest that he is close to his peak in development …

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Hansbrough isnt even on the most recent board on nbadraft.net so its obviously more then just the few of us on here that think he is a peaked college player. much like Hollis Price and PJ Tucker.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Projected as the 29th pick in 2009. He won't even go that high.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:56 am

I was very disappointed with Hansbrough defensively when they played Duke. Singler absolutely abused him.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 am

cubsfan wrote:I was very disappointed with Hansbrough defensively when they played Duke. Singler absolutely abused him.

and yet i got ripped when i said he cant match up with him.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:12 am

since the lawson injury, hansbrough as been scorin 28 a game and 15 boards the last 5 games.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 am

BballFan1307 wrote:since the lawson injury, hansbrough as been scorin 28 a game and 15 boards the last 5 games.

College dominance rarely leads to NBA dominance. Alot of dominant college players become nothings while players like Rudy Gay who get 15 a game dominate in the NBA, because the NBA is all about being athletic.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things