BCS Bowl Games

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

BCS Bowl Games

Postby cubsfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:29 pm

The Rose Bowl was a blow out. I know they like to have a Big 10 vs. Pac 10 match up, but why isn't Missouri there? They blew out Arkansas today and looked very impressive. Illinois is a year away from being a BCS team IMO. I am hoping for a better game tonight in the Sugar bowl. Any predictions for that game or the rest of the games?
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: BCS Bowl Games

Postby baseball18 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:19 am

I agree, Missouri deserved to be in over KU. KU will get blown out by VA Tech tomorrow night too. All of these BCS Bowls are jokes, the bowl game are jokes. We need a playoff, they're not playing for anything anyways in these bowl game... money? They could win money in a playoff system too. WE NEED A PLAYOFF.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:01 am

2 losses, 1 loss. the reason Kansas got the bid and not Missouri. you can say anything you want about how they were both to the same team and how Illinois is a year away but remember this when you say Missouri shouldve been there instead....Illinois 28 - Ohio State 21 AT OHIO STATE that win wasnt a fluke, Illinois deserved that bid. sure they had 3 losses compared to Missouri's 2, but Kansas and Oklahoma, both better records then Missouri, got the 2 Big XII bids leaving them on the outside looking in.

not one of the BCS games have been even a game or remotely close at anytime proving one thing.....they need a PLAYOFF and not base the title game on a computer. that way the 3 Big XII teams wouldve still had a chance at the title.

the Big XII conference title game was December 1...the National Title is January 7. that leaves 5 saturdays between the conference title games and the national title game. week off after the conference games and a 4 week 16 team tourney (top 16 BCS rankings, what it takes to qualify for a BCS game). the season finishes at the same time and you get rid of the meaningless Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic game 12 people around the country watched....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:09 am

WVU looked impressive last night. Losing there head coach and coming back from that embarrassing loss to Pitt. Kudos to them.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:27 pm

baseball wrote:2 losses, 1 loss. the reason Kansas got the bid and not Missouri. you can say anything you want about how they were both to the same team and how Illinois is a year away but remember this when you say Missouri shouldve been there instead....Illinois 28 - Ohio State 21 AT OHIO STATE that win wasnt a fluke, Illinois deserved that bid. sure they had 3 losses compared to Missouri's 2, but Kansas and Oklahoma, both better records then Missouri, got the 2 Big XII bids leaving them on the outside looking in.

not one of the BCS games have been even a game or remotely close at anytime proving one thing.....they need a PLAYOFF and not base the title game on a computer. that way the 3 Big XII teams wouldve still had a chance at the title.

the Big XII conference title game was December 1...the National Title is January 7. that leaves 5 saturdays between the conference title games and the national title game. week off after the conference games and a 4 week 16 team tourney (top 16 BCS rankings, what it takes to qualify for a BCS game). the season finishes at the same time and you get rid of the meaningless Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic game 12 people around the country watched....

I usually agree with you baseball but not on this one. KU doesnt deserve a BCS Bowl bid. First of all Mizzou beat the Jayhawks head to head. Yes, Kansas has one loss but their strength of schedule is 109th (119 total) and Missouri is 25th. Missouri lost only twice and both times to Oklahoma. I guess the BCS is praising wins over Florida International, SE Louisiana, and Toledo, compared to wins over Illinois, Ole Miss, and Western Michigan. And did you see Mizzou's romp over Arkansas?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Actually Kansas was chosen by the Orange Bowl committee, because it thought more KU fans would travel to Florida than Mizzou fans. The teams arent necessarily picked by who is the best, that specific bowl can invite whoever it wants to the game. It starts with whatever bowl is hosting the national championship, then each bowl picks a team in order until they are filled. I believe the ideal playoff would involve 16 teams, all 11 conference champions because if a team goes undefeated they deserve a shot and 5-at-large bids. The regular season still should mean something and this would eliminate the 3-loss teams.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Number7 wrote:Actually Kansas was chosen by the Orange Bowl committee, because it thought more KU fans would travel to Florida than Mizzou fans. The teams arent necessarily picked by who is the best, that specific bowl can invite whoever it wants to the game. It starts with whatever bowl is hosting the national championship, then each bowl picks a team in order until they are filled. I believe the ideal playoff would involve 16 teams, all 11 conference champions because if a team goes undefeated they deserve a shot and 5-at-large bids. The regular season still should mean something and this would eliminate the 3-loss teams.

Yeah I realize that, but still Missouri deserved to be in it over KU, less traveling fans or not... BCS is BS
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:06 am

its not like Kansas snuck past Florida International, them weak teams they blew out like they were supposed to so i dont think thats as good of a judgement. it was a weak schedule yes but how can you deny an 11-1 team? they proved they belonged tonight by beating VT
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things