Vikings

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: Vikings

Postby project-pat » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:21 pm

better luck next year....GO BRONCOS!
project-pat

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:37 pm

TJack can be a good quarterback if given time, he had way to may mistakes this year related to just not being ready yet, that was a mistake made by Childress. One thing the Vikings have shown is that they will draft well, and Wilf isn't afraid to spend money on free agents, or in locking up good players to long-term contracts. Childress isn't going anywhere, or Wilf would have fired him 20 minutes after the game on Sunday.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sioux4ever » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:19 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:TJack can be a good quarterback if given time, he had way to may mistakes this year related to just not being ready yet, that was a mistake made by Childress. One thing the Vikings have shown is that they will draft well, and Wilf isn't afraid to spend money on free agents, or in locking up good players to long-term contracts. Childress isn't going anywhere, or Wilf would have fired him 20 minutes after the game on Sunday.

We can still hope he gets fired though, right??
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball4life » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:24 pm

Jackson has to go! end of story. i cant stand watching him make stupid mistakes over and over agan. He isnt, and will NEVER be an NFL quarterback. what the vikings need to do is acquire a good quarterback, not a quarterback that will possibly be good in 3 years. Jackson needs to go if the vikings want to win, and if he doesnt leave i might have to switch teams because i cant take the vikings getting my hopes up and crushing them over and over again.
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The stokker » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:46 pm

Well from the word i have heard. Chilly is saying that T-Jack is farther along than Mcnabb was when he was coaching mcnabb. I will stand by T-Jack for one more year. The expectations for next year. 20Tds more Tds than INTS have to make the playoffs if he doesn't exceed that he has to go. And Chilly will be on thin ice. I haven't like Chilly since they signed him but he just needs to hand the play calling to someone else.
The stokker

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:39 am

Give the kid somebody who can catch the ball... Watching that Broncos game I wouldn't put the blame on him for losing. Chester Taylor holds on to the ball when diving into end zone you got a touchdown, If Troy Williamson catches a well thrown ball when he is wide open by 20 yards. Thats TWO touchdowns right there that changed the reflection of that game.

What do the top Qb's in the league have?? They have great Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Tom Brady has Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Watson

Peyten Manning has Harrison & Wayne

Brett Favre has Donald Driver, Jennings, Lee

Tony Romo has Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton and Jason Witten

Putting people like Wade, Williamson, Vishancoe, kliensasser, Ferguson just doesn't get it done. If you think McNabb or somebody else can win with those guys your kidding yourself.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:09 pm

ndfan: very, very good points - both about the missed touchdowns and the caliber of the receivers.

I expect Williamson to be released this off-season. Rice is a step in the right direction, now they need to draft another good receiver.

But I'm not ready to let TJack off the hook completely. He MUST improve his mechanics and decision making. And he's got to learn to eat the ball when nothing is there. I do like him a lot better when he is willing to tuck the ball and run - he's pretty darn good in the open field. That negates the pass rush and blitzes. When the D has 5-6 guys rushing the passer and TJack pops through he's got lots of room to run.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:48 pm

I personally like the number of times T-Jack threw a pass while jumping this year with both feet off the ground. Against Chicago and then the next week against Washington. It's pretty bad when the announcer both weeks say "he should learn how to hold the ball and take the sack"

You make good points about the receivers, maybe the Vikes do not have the greatest receivers. I argue that a good quarterback makes the receivers better. Wes Welker was in Miami and they cut him. Randy Moss was a bust in Oakland. Donte Stallworth has been around the league getting cut by many teams. Tom Brady and the New England System made the 2 guys. Moss just needed a quarterback to, as he put it "chuck it up" to him.

Last year Brett favre was calling out the Packers to go get him some offensive weapons, they did not really go get anyone, their receivers just matured behind a great quarterback.

Jackson will NEVER be that caliber of quarterback.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball18 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm

Vikings need a new QB, Jackson has a few more years before he should be a starter. They should go out and try to get Derek Anderson or nab McNabb
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketballer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:27 pm

Sioux4ever wrote:I personally like the number of times T-Jack threw a pass while jumping this year with both feet off the ground. Against Chicago and then the next week against Washington. It's pretty bad when the announcer both weeks say "he should learn how to hold the ball and take the sack"

You make good points about the receivers, maybe the Vikes do not have the greatest receivers. I argue that a good quarterback makes the receivers better. Wes Welker was in Miami and they cut him. Randy Moss was a bust in Oakland. Donte Stallworth has been around the league getting cut by many teams. Tom Brady and the New England System made the 2 guys. Moss just needed a quarterback to, as he put it "chuck it up" to him.

Last year Brett favre was calling out the Packers to go get him some offensive weapons, they did not really go get anyone, their receivers just matured behind a great quarterback.

Jackson will NEVER be that caliber of quarterback.

Moss you could tell really didnt try in Oakland. Welker has great hands and is a great route runner but he didnt survive in Miami because he didnt have a Moss to take two secondary players off him and he isn't a playmaker.
basketballer

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:46 pm

basketballer wrote:Moss you could tell really didnt try in Oakland. Welker has great hands and is a great route runner but he didnt survive in Miami because he didnt have a Moss to take two secondary players off him and he isn't a playmaker.

I agree with you that Moss did not try in Oakland. And you are correct, Welker is the product of Moss. My point was that T-Jackson should not ever be mentioned in the same breath as the other quarterbacks. Brady, Manning, Favre are in a class by themselves. I'm not even sure Romo deserves to be mentioned there. He has really only performed for 1 1/2 seasons. Let's see what Romo does in the playoffs.

The vikes receiving corps is well "pitiful" by production. The quarterback does not help matters any.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm

baseball18 wrote:Vikings need a new QB, Jackson has a few more years before he should be a starter. They should go out and try to get Derek Anderson or nab McNabb

McNabb is getting old and gets hurt way to easily, if he could stay healthy it's be a great pick up. They are also asking way to much for him. Derek Anderson??? He'd be great if ya had talent around him like he does in Cleveland.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Cleveland might be a case where the offensive weapons make the quarterback. Braylon Edwards at WR, Kellen Winslow at TE, and Jamal Lewis. Vikes have the RB game with Taylor and Peterson. I thought this Vaisante Shiancoe (however you spell it) was supposed to be some BIG pickup...worthless. Bobby Wade worthless. The best I think we'll ever see out of Williamson is a deep ball decoy receiver/returner.

So going into the off-season, what is more important through the draft?? through Free Agency?? What is the top priority. Pass Coverage DB's? QB who has a brain? Pass-rushing D-Ends? Wide Receivers? that's a lot of needs.....
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Free Agency
1. WR
2. QB
3. TE
4. DE

Draft
1. DB Winfield and Sharper aren't getting any younger. Smith is just terrible
2. WR
3. TE
4. OL

Just what i think there top priorities are in both.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:58 pm

I listen to PA and Dubay a lot and read the Startribune quite a bit. The consensus seems to be that they could sign a guy like McNair, or Pennington, who would cost very little and could help tutor TJack. Yeah I've wanted to scream at him at times for boneheaded mistakes, but really there are no other alternatives.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12950606.html
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm

There is an article in the Fargo Forum/Grand Forks Herald today regarding Williamson and how he probably played his last game as a Viking. It talks about how Coach Tice wanted to draft Shawne Merriman but he was outvoted and they chose Williamson instead. Maybe Tice knew at least one thing. I bet Merriman would look a lot better with the Vikes than with the Bolts.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball18 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:22 am

Sioux4ever wrote:There is an article in the Fargo Forum/Grand Forks Herald today regarding Williamson and how he probably played his last game as a Viking. It talks about how Coach Tice wanted to draft Shawne Merriman but he was outvoted and they chose Williamson instead. Maybe Tice knew at least one thing. I bet Merriman would look a lot better with the Vikes than with the Bolts.

just when it seemed like the VIkes run D couldnt get any better
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:06 am

ndfan wrote:Free Agency
1. WR
2. QB
3. TE
4. DE

Draft
1. DB Winfield and Sharper aren't getting any younger. Smith is just terrible
2. WR
3. TE
4. OL

Just what i think there top priorities are in both.

I think they should go after a lineman in free agency rather than the draft. why take a chance on an unproven guy instead of signing a proven vet. They also need to look at getting a Linebacker who can actually cover someone, many of their passing problems came from underneath and short passes. Henderson is a good run stopper but not strong in coverage, Leber is a 3-4 OLB and doesn't fit as well in a 4-3, and Greenway needs another year to improve. It wouldn't hurt to start looking for a Pat Williams replacement either, the guy is getting old.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:10 am

Hinsa wrote:ndfan: very, very good points - both about the missed touchdowns and the caliber of the receivers.

I expect Williamson to be released this off-season. Rice is a step in the right direction, now they need to draft another good receiver.

But I'm not ready to let TJack off the hook completely. He MUST improve his mechanics and decision making. And he's got to learn to eat the ball when nothing is there. I do like him a lot better when he is willing to tuck the ball and run - he's pretty darn good in the open field. That negates the pass rush and blitzes. When the D has 5-6 guys rushing the passer and TJack pops through he's got lots of room to run.

The problem I have with Jackson is his arm strength. He relies way way too much on it and waits until the last possible second to try and squeeze the ball into a small space instead of throwing to a spot as soon as the reciever makes his cut. Yes there is a time for a bullet, but not on every pass. If he can get his timing down along with the other things listed above, he can become a good QB. I give him one more year.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:12 pm

i would say keep jackson but bring in someone like a mcnabb or pennington to mentor him a little bit. thats why i wished they wouldnt have got rid of Brad Johnson because he would have been there to help mentor jackson throughout this season. i also say Williamson needs to go, he is by far the worst reciever i think the Vikings have ever had, he was a waste of a pick.
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 pm

Roughrider wrote:i would say keep jackson but bring in someone like a mcnabb or pennington to mentor him a little bit. thats why i wished they wouldnt have got rid of Brad Johnson because he would have been there to help mentor jackson throughout this season. i also say Williamson needs to go, he is by far the worst reciever i think the Vikings have ever had, he was a waste of a pick.

Williamson maybe the worst receiver the LEAGUE has ever seen.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Frogger_330 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 pm

[. i also say Williamson needs to go, he is by far the worst reciever i think the Vikings have ever had, he was a waste of a pick.[/quote]

Williamson maybe the worst receiver the LEAGUE has ever seen.[/quote]

what about Bernard Berrian?
Frogger_330

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:51 am

Troy Williamson is to football what Michael Jordan was to baseball. A waste of time.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:59 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Troy Williamson is to football what Michael Jordan was to baseball. A waste of time.

but...but...but...he's sooooooo fast :roll:
rep

Postby grlsbballfan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Bernard berrian is a huge pick up compared to Williamson. My concern is at the defensive end position, anybody no if the Vikes has made an attempt to fill it.
If the vikes can pick up a few players in the positions they need I think we will be a huge threat in the NFC.
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things