Mixed martial arts or boxing?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby TapouTfighter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 am

Who do you think would win in a match between a boxer or a mixed martial arts fighter? example: chuck liddell vs roy jones jr.
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:04 am

martial arts....they have more weapons then a right jab followed by a left hook...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:45 pm

baseball wrote:martial arts....they have more weapons then a right jab followed by a left hook...

boxing i think cause you get in and punch faster than a martial artist and can prolly take hits better than them also

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby TapouTfighter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:31 pm

cdub1 wrote:
baseball wrote:martial arts....they have more weapons then a right jab followed by a left hook...

boxing i think cause you get in and punch faster than a martial artist and can prolly take hits better than them also

what happens when u get taken to the ground and eat an elbow to the head? :)
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:16 pm

TapouTfighter wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

he comes back with a right to the jaw and to the floor you go.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby TapouTfighter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 pm

bisonslayer wrote:
TapouTfighter wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

you dont knock out a guy who's on top of you.  theres no leverage.  unless you got hydraulic pistons in your arms or a hammer
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:29 pm

in the beginning of ufc pay per views, strikers were beaten by guys that could go to the ground all the time.

all mma fighters can take a punch and if you block one or two of the punches and work your way inside, then you can grab the guy and dump him. then it is just a matter of time. strikers aren't comfortable on their back and basically they just have no offense from there.

if a boxer could get in two unblocked punches though (maybe one...could happen) i suppose that could win a match. but i'm guessing 99 times out of 100 that just won't happen.

also, part of the problem with boxers if they are standing is guestimating how far your opponent is away from you. take off the boxing glove and you now are off with your punches by what...two inches? that could mean everything for a boxer.

mma is the death of boxing as far as i can tell. i still like boxing, but i don't get near as much out of a good boxing match as i do a good ufc (or whatever) match.
rep

Postby TapouTfighter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:49 pm

If you get a chance, the VS. channel has WEC fighting on once a week (i believe tuesdays) and they have fighters in the lower divisions like 145 pounds.  They are really fun to watch if you like the ground game.  I've trained in brazillian jiu jitsu so its fun to see guys doing that instead of standing toe to toe (although thats pretty dang entertaining too).
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bisonslayer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 pm

TapouTfighter wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
TapouTfighter wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

you dont knock out a guy who's on top of you.  theres no leverage.  unless you got hydraulic pistons in your arms or a hammer

haha hydraulic pistons, awesome.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:15 pm

i am gonna say if you take an average boxer and an average martial artist boxer wins 80% of the time

if you take the two best in each sport i am going to say a boxer can knock the guy out faster but a martial artist will kill faster

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:39 am

cdub1 wrote:i am gonna say if you take an average boxer and an average martial artist boxer wins 80% of the time

if you take the two best in each sport i am going to say a boxer can knock the guy out faster but a martial artist will kill faster
That is totally incorrect.  An average mma fighter will know a little about wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu.  This meaning that the boxer will get taken down and will get submitted.  There are a lot of average to great boxers that come into the UFC and get dominated.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:37 am

good boxer vs average mma = boxer

good boxer vs good mma = mma

A good MMA will always take the fight to the ground right away and use submission holds that a boxer has no clue how to defend.   All the ring experience with foot work, balance and distance then becomes irrelevant.

my  :2cents:
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby click clack moo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:23 pm

i agree with NDSportsfan a good mma fighter would take the fight to the ground and submit the boxer in a matter of minutes
click clack moo
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:36 am

click clack moo wrote:i agree with NDSportsfan a good mma fighter would take the fight to the ground and submit the boxer in a matter of minutes

An average MMA fighter will take down a good boxer any day of the weak.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby click clack moo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:30 pm

[user=1043]cubsfan[/user] wrote:
click clack moo wrote:i agree with NDSportsfan a good mma fighter would take the fight to the ground and submit the boxer in a matter of minutes

yeah isnt that what i just said and nice spelling of week
click clack moo
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:18 pm

click clack moo wrote:[user=1043]cubsfan[/user] wrote:

An average MMA fighter is not a good MMA fighter.  So to answer your question it is not the same thing that you said.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:57 am

cubsfan wrote:

An average MMA fighter is not a good MMA fighter.  So to answer your question it is not the same thing that you said.
who thinks we should get a huge ring and have click clack moo and cubsfan go at it.
PA42

Postby TapouTfighter » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:46 pm

horne98 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:

who thinks we should get a huge ring and have click clack moo and cubsfan go at it.
LETS GET IT ON!
TapouTfighter
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Mixed martial arts or boxing?

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Instead of using terms like "average boxer" average mixed martial artist" why don't we just name a few. Someone said take the two of the best from each sport. Ok so we'll match up Fedor Emelianko against Wladimir Klitschko. Or Chuck Liddell vs. Mike Tyson. Randy Couture vs. Evander Holyfield. Quinton Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. Tito Ortiz vs. Oscar De La Hoya. the match ups are endless
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dcs01 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:39 pm

dude i have no training in boxing or martial arts and i would pwn anybody because i would flip copenhaugen in there eye and scissor kick them in the back of the head
dcs01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 pm

dcs01 wrote:dude i have no training in boxing or martial arts and i would pwn anybody because i would flip copenhaugen in there eye and scissor kick them in the back of the head

I would dare you to step into the ring with a professional boxer or mixed martial fighter. You would probably end up getting killed or else knocked unconscious for a very long while. And dude I guarantee that if you tried to throw Copenhagen in their eye it would just end up them off. But good for you that you have a very high self-esteem. Some people have very little and some have none at all and its good you are not one of those people.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dcs01 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:44 pm

I would dare you to step into the ring with a professional boxer or mixed martial fighter. You would probably end up getting killed or else knocked unconscious for a very long while. And dude I guarantee that if you tried to throw Copenhagen in their eye it would just end up stuff them off. But good for you that you have a very high self-esteem. Some people have very little and some have none at all and its good you are not one of those people.[/quote]
you forgot that i counter the copenhaugen flip with the scissor kick and i think im gonna add a powerbomb or two in there possibly a hulk hogan leg drop
dcs01
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BBall dominator » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:13 pm

Do you guys forger street fighter Balrog was the worst and everyone was basically MMA. I'd have to go w/ a MMA fighter in a fight between the 2 regardless of who it is.
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SnuggleMuffin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:50 am

See the trick to martial arts is...You gotta be one with the soul..

You are never anywhere...Its physics..
Becuz molecules are always moving. So if you think about it..Im not even here right now

I am Martial Arts.....Boom
SnuggleMuffin

Postby project-pat » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:55 am

SnuggleMuffin wrote:See the trick to martial arts is...You gotta be one with the soul..

You are never anywhere...Its physics..
Becuz molecules are always moving. So if you think about it..Im not even here right now

I am Martial Arts.....Boom

strong with the force young snugglemuffin is....those were some pretty inspiring words my friend...you have opened up a whole new world for me....boxing is dumb, every fight is the same to me basically, I like MMA because they do some KARAZEEEEE moves haha, they are so good at martial arts, they are not anywhere ever, in fact, they aren't even people, just figures of my imagination, i cant even think straight right now
project-pat

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things