NFL draft

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby andy_7 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:48 pm

here's my mock top ten

Raiders- if they trade Randy Moss to the packers or anyone, i dont see them taking Russell, they'll take calvin johnson here

Detroit- i don't think they will draft a qb with this pick because of the contract they gave kitna last year so I see them taking joe thomas here.

Cleveland- no way adrain peterson drops out of the top 5, i think he's going here

bucs- with them just signing garcia, i think they could draft ted ginn jr or calvin johnson if the raiders take russell.  but i think they will take laron landry, i think he's the best defensive player in the draft

arizona- they deffinately need o-line help, but the best player still available for them will be the 2 de's  adams from clemson and anderson from arkansas, but i have a feeling they will take adams

washington- i feel they will take the other defensive end anderson here

minnesota- how much i want them to take quinn, they wont bucause that would make me to happy, so they'll draft ginn to help with there oh so boring offense

houston- no way houston lets another qb slip here, they take russell here

miami- i have no idea why they are looking for a qb when they have culpepper and harrington, i think they'll come to there senses and draft the kid with the most upside in the draft in amobi okoye the 19yr old fenome

atlanta- no way patrino doesnt sure up his offensive line to help vick out, i think there gonna draft levi brown here

theres probably no way this will be the order, but thats what i think

as for my team the minny vikes, they better draft a good running back like lenard from rutgers in the later rounds or there offense will be just as boring as last year

andy_7

Postby rumbles » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Well im a Cowboys fan and i have seen a couple mock drafts with them picking Aaron Ross the CB from texas and i guess i would be happy with that.
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:36 pm

I think the vikes should definately take brady quinn in the first round if they have the opportunity cause ted ginn remeinds me of another troy williamson.  They dont need a runningback chestor taylor is a very solid starter, childress just cant be so predictable on offense.  The should sure up the defensive sceondary and d-line in free agency,but I would go with quinn cause im not sold on bollinger or tarvaris
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby DeuceTrey » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:43 pm

i will be extremely disapointed if the Vikes go with a WR or a QB, especially Ginn. if they traded up to get Johnson, that would be decent, but still not a great move. they need to draft a pass rushing end, like Gaines Adams, or maybe take a chance on that saftey from LSU. they could probably even trade down a few spots, get more picks, and still get an end or a saftey, as none are really projected to go that high.
Last edited by DeuceTrey on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wombat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 pm

I've been a true fan of the 49ers for as long as I can remember.

I think the last I heard they have 8 draft picks in the first 2 rounds and at that time also had 30 million in cap room. I thought that they might try to beef up their defense in the draft, but now that they signed Corner Nate Clements to an 8year 80 million deal and Safety Michael Lewis through free agency they might go after an O-lineman to help protect Alex Smith. Maybe an explosive wide-receiver, it seems to be a deep draft for that position. Since the two new free agents ate up a bit of that cap room that they had maybe they'll look at trading away a few of those draft picks for a veteran player, or even possibly just try to dish out a few of those picks to move up in the draft.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby andy_7 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm

DeuceTrey wrote:i will be extremely disapointed if the Vikes go with a WR or a QB, especially Ginn. if they traded up to get Johnson, that would be decent, but still not a great move. they need to draft a pass rushing end, like Gaines Adams, or maybe take a chance on that saftey from LSU. they could probably even trade down a few spots, get more picks, and still get an end or a saftey, as none are really projected to go that high.

i really dont think they should draft an end in the 1st round, with 2 first rounders allreaty on the team with so much money in them alreaty.  i would be very happy with them drafting landry from lsu. he is a complete stud no doubt and they deff will be needing some d-back help with there pass deffense.  i would not be surprized if the vikes trade down in the first round
andy_7

Postby unc2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm

I disagree with you deucetrey i feel they need to get some offense, they were awful last year. They have a very good d-line they just need to go with more blitz schemes. They also need some help in the seocndary, they were good on paper but some of the guys didnt do much but sit around and wait for the wr to make a catch
Last edited by unc2 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:13 pm

unc2 wrote:    I disagree with you deucetrey i feel they need to get some offense, they were awful last year. They have a very good d-line they just need to go with more blitz schemes. They also need some help in the seocndary, they were good on paper but some of the guys didnt do much but sit around and wait for the wr to make a catch

what many people don't know, but this is actually Coach Childress himself. He had us going for a while haha
project-pat

Postby unc2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:18 pm

ha you got me
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguy2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:51 pm

My Jags better go Safety at #17. I hope Landry slides but i doubt it so the more logical pick would be Reggie Nelson S from Florida.
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pakkyzoo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Here's my 32 pick mock draft of the first round.

1. Oakland- JaMarcus Russell, they have to draft a player that has the caliber to lead the team to the playoffs.  Hes got the strongest arm to throw the deep ball that Al Davis (Oakland's owner) loves.  If Jerry Porter and Randy Moss don't leave, it could be big.  They might not win a lot of games this year, but it could be big in 2 years or 3.

2. Detroit- I'm a big Lions fan and I would love to see them take Brady Quinn because I hate John Kitna.  But they will take Joe Thomos, who is arguably the safest pick in the draft.  Anyone thats 6'7" 310 pounds and runs a 4.9 is safe to me.

3. Cleveland- Adrian Peterson!! Enough said. 6'1" 218 pounds, runs a 4.38. It can only help.  They just signed Stienbach at gaurd. It will help for the power running game.

4. Tampa Bay- Calivin Johnson.  They have to draft him. They need a big play threat to open up the running lanes for Cadillac. 

5. Arizona- I'm predicting a trade from this pick, but if they stay at this pick it will be Gaines Adams.  Hes the best pass rusher in the draft.  Arizona was in the top 5 against the run last year.  They need a pass rusher in order to get their passing defense up to par.

6. Washington- Alan Branch DT, Hes the run stopper up the middle that the Redskins have needed for the last 2 years.

7. Minnesota- I personally think if Quinn is there at the 5 pick, they will trade with Arizona.  If not, I think they will try to trade down and get two first round picks or more 2nd and 3rd round picks.  They need a big play wide out and cornerback help.  Maybe Leon Hall or Robert Meachem later in round 1 if they trade down.

8. Houston- They want Brady Quinn, but he won't be there.  They will have to draft need at this pick.  The best pick would be Levi Brown at offensive tackle.

9. Miami- Jamaal Anderson DE. They recently traded Dan Wilkinson away and Kevin Carter signed with the Bucaneers. They need a DT and  DE, so they take the best one available at both positions.

10. Atlanta- LaRon Landry, best defensive back in the draft.  He will be there for them.  The teams above them aren't looking for safeties.  They all have bigger needs.

11. San Francisco- Amobi Okoye DT.  San Fran already signed Clements at corner, Lelie at WR, and Lewis at safety.  They draft a young 19 year old DT to give some youth to there D-Line.  Hes the best player available with a lot of upside. 

12. Buffalo Bills- Leon Hall.  After loosing Clements in free agency. They draft the top corner available in the draft.

13. St. Louis- Patrick Willis. He can play both MLB and OLB.  They have been swapping linebackers in and out for the last 2 years. Hes a stud, and probably the best linebacker in the draft.

14. Carolina- Greg Olson TE. After his combine performance, I don't know how Carolina could pass him up. 6'5" 250, running a 4.5.  TE is a need for the Panthers so why not take a franchise TE.

15. Pittsburgh- Jarvis Moss, He played DE in college, but his pass rush ability and athleticism translates well to the Steelers 3-4 outside linebacker system.

16. Green Bay- Marshawn Lynch.  Hes the 2nd best runningback in the draft.  They need a runningback after Green leaving for Houston.  He fits there mold, and could give Farve a good safety velve out of the backfield.

17. Jacksonville- Reggie Nelson.  They need a young safety. Deon Grant is a free agent and Donavan Darius is injury prone.

18. Cincinnati- Ben Grubbs.  They need an OG to replace the loss of Steinbach.

19. Tennessee- Ted Ginn. It gives Vince Young a big play threat.  They have to go wideout here, after loosing Bennett in free agency.

20. New York Giants- Jon Beason.  Hes an athletic linebacker that can run.  They released two starting backers, so they need to fill in with some youth.

21. Denver- Charles Johnson.  They need a DE.  They will going for Karney in free agency, but lost out.  They fill it here with the 21 pick.

22. Dallas- Brandon Meriweather.  Ballhawking free safety that complinments Roy Williams very well.  Meriweather is only 195 pounds, but hits like a train.  Hes a playmaker from the "U."

23. Kansas City- Robert Meachem.  Hes 6'3" 210 and runs a 4.36.  He broke out this year for Tennessee.  I don't see the Cheifs passing up this combination of size and speed.

24. New England- Paul Posluszny.  He seems like the kind of player the Patriots like.  He goes all out on ever play.  He plays MLB in the Patrios 3-4 scheme. 

25. New York Jets- Adam Carriker.  A big DE from Nebraska.  They are going to a 3-4 scheme. He could play the defensive end in that scheme being 295.

26. Philadelphia- Lawrence Timmons.  Athletic linebacker that brings some youth to an old linebacking core.

27. New Orleans- Darrelle Revis.  After watching Fred Thomas get burnt so often in the playoffs, how can they not look for an upgrade at CB.

28. New England- Chris Houston. Asante Samuel might leave in free agency, so they need a potential replacment at Corner.

29. Baltimore- Antonio Pittman.  I know it might be a reach, but after the release of Jamal Lewis, RB becomes the biggest need. Hes 5'10" 205 and runs a 4.5.  He runs between the tackles and gets around the corner.  I personally think hes a first round talent.

30. San Diego- Dwayne Jarrett.  Big play wide out for Phillip Rivers to throw too.  He opens up the passing game for Antonio Gates and even more running holes for LT!! SCARY!!

31. Chicago- Justin Blalock.  They need linebacker and youth at the offensive line.  All the top linebackers are off the board, so they go with the best player available for a need.  He can play OG and OT.

32. Indianapolis- Buster Davis.  Being only 5'9" many teams over look him, but the way the Colts Defense can play, they need all the help they can get.  He steps in at either MLB or OLB, and brings a run stopping attitude from FSU. 
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:49 am

the vikings do not have that great of a defensive line. yes they do have the williams brothers in the middle, but they have no one to get to the qb. their leading sack leader had 5 1/2 sacks last year, and im willing to put money on that over 60% of you couldnt tell me who it was. they need someone to bring pressure off the end. yes they have two first round draft picks at end, but neither have come even close to finishing a season. maybe they should switch to a 3-4 when pat williams retires, and draft a fast olb/de type like a merriman.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:49 am

and i will be very unhappy if the vikings take brady quinn. they have no need for him this year, as they should just be focused on developing Jackson.
Last edited by DeuceTrey on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Honus355 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 pm

Well my team is the Phins, and I hope that Quinn falls that far...Quinn would be good to have around for next year, relying on Daunte, and then turn over the reigns...No matter what people say about Quinn, he's the safest QB because he's played two years in a pro system, is a smart QB, and has a pretty solid arm...He better be there at 9! Remember people, Matt Leinart fell alot last year, so I am thinking that Quinn will too.
Honus355
NDPreps Starter

Postby unc2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:54 pm

Well i like tavaris but I dont think he will have what the vikings will need. Like i said they didnt put to much pressure on the QB they have a really good run D. They just need to put more pressure on. There offense is what killed them, i think they need to go for Brady
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sports guy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:58 am

Heres my top 5

Oak will take Russell

Det will take Quin

Cleveland will take Thomas

Tampa Bay will take Calvin Johnson

Arizona will take Adrian Peterson

Peterson would have gone to Cleveland if they wouldn't have signed Lewis
Sports guy
NDPreps Starter

Postby porter_55 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:25 pm

I am a huge Steelers fan, and I was incredibly disappointed when they cut Joey Porter, but Paul Posluszny would be a good pick for them.  You can always use a linebacker, and he was outstanding at Penn State.  He sure wouldn't them any.
porter_55

Postby porter_55 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:28 pm

unc2 wrote:    Well i like tavaris but I dont think he will have what the vikings will need. Like i said they didnt put to much pressure on the QB they have a really good run D. They just need to put more pressure on. There offense is what killed them, i think they need to go for Brady

How good do you think their run D will be after Tomlin left, or don't you think that will have a very big impact?
porter_55

Postby DeuceTrey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:52 pm

to be honest, i dont even know their d coordinators name, let alone what kind of defense he will run. the vikings are doing an awful job marketing themselves to the public and trying to increase their fan base lately. they have no star players, an old stadium, and coaches who refuse to let any information out to the news and writers. their management needs to step it up, or its going to get ugly fast.

but going back to their defense, they need a strong rusher off the end, and fast strong and smart linebacker, and a good saftey who is an absolute ballhawk. if they can accomplish that, which is very unlikely, they would be set for a while. i was kinda liking the Tampa 2 defense last year, and it looked like it was going to come together. does anyone know any information on their new d coordinator?
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby porter_55 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:03 am

Their D-Coordinator is Leslie Frazier, and he was an assistant coach with the Colts last year. Childress basically said he wants to run the Tmpa Two again next year.
porter_55

Postby unc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Ill agree with you on that
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 pm

trade the whole team for the first pick get calvin johnson who is an absolute freak have him play by himself on offense defense and have him kick the field goals and punt and the vikes will make the playoffs. Or they could wait and get Quinn i guess, but i'd wait till next year and get the best Qb in the land and future heisman winner and national champion Brian Brahm, if they draft ginn there is a 90% chance i go crazy. it would be just like when they drafted williamson with the 7th pick and ginn and williamson are exactly the same in every way. you can run as fast as you want but if you cant catch the ball it's still an incomplete pass.

Louisville #1
Last edited by knights4 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bisonslayer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:28 am

Yeah vikings can't catch a pass, so they should look receiver. Even though Williamson is a flop so far at #7 . Any draft pick is a risk, so they should probably take another and go a receiver in Ginn who has world-class speed. Williamson was just raw potential. Ginn can actually return kicks and punts unlike fumblin stumblin Williamson. As long as Childress is coach they dont need a good quarterback, because basically if his QB can hand the ball that is enough for him.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby unc2 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:44 am

Look at the guy in your pic, he led the league in dropped passes
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby rumbles » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:52 am

unc2 wrote:    Look at the guy in your pic, he led the league in dropped passes
And touchdown receptions
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference