semi-pro baseball in Bismarck?

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:24 am

KXMB CBS12
Around Town Blog with Brad Feldman
Taking you Around Town
02/03/07
My Business Idea

I have to take my hat as a reporter off here for this post.  As I mentioned I do have a business idea I submitted in the InnovateND competition.  It is something that I would have to say is nothing new but a form of entertainment for everyone.  I am a huge baseball fan.  It really doesn't matter who is playing but I love to sit down and watch our national pastime.   But I find this kind of entertainment lacking in our great community.

However, I have a plan to bring baseball back to Bismarck-Mandan.  I understand that there is American Legion and Babe Ruth baseball in the communities already.  But why is it that a community the size of ours cannot have a semi-pro baseball team.  This is what I am trying to bring to you.

I have had constant talks with a league based out of Rochester, Minnesota called the Northwoods League.  This is a summer college baseball league.  It's where the best college baseball players in the country come to play to showcase their talents for the professional scouts.  Because the players are in college they cannot be paid in order to keep their college eligibility.  The league has been around since 1994 and has a history of producing major league all stars.  If you are a baseball fan you might recognize the names of Bobby Kielty, Juan Pierre, Jeff Weaver, Jay Gibbons, Curtis Granderson, Pat Neshek and many more.  Last year alone the league had about a hundred of its players drafted.

Since April of last year I have spent a lot of time in the North Dakota Small Business Development Center putting together a business plan with three years worth of financials.  Let me tell you this was not an easy task.  I stayed up late many nights just trying to set prices that are affordable while making the bottom line even out.  However, I came out of it with a plan that can be successful.  So here is the plan for this baseball team in Bismarck .  We can field a team in the summer of 2008 pending I can get the investment.  I have had a lot of meetings with people to make this possible.  However, to this point have been unable to get the money I need to make the formal announcement of a team in Bismarck .  But I think it may be coming sooner than one may think.

I have received a lot of support for this project from many different people.  Two in particular that I want to bring to your attention is Minnesota Twins President and Bismarck native Dave St. Peter.  I made the trip to Minneapolis last summer to meet with him about this team.  Let me just tell you he is a great individual.  He is willing to help this team by being a consultant to make it all work.  No he will not be leaving the Twins but is willing to help.  I have also been busy trying to reach Darin Erstad, Travis Hafner and Rick Helling.  One afternoon last summer my cell phone rang and it was Rick Helling.  He told me he supports the idea of this kind of team in North Dakota .  I am still waiting for my chance to speak with Erstad and Hafner.

When you think of North Dakota baseball players it's no secret the name of Roger Maris, Travis Hafner, Darin Erstad, Rick Helling, Chris Coste, and Tim Olson come to mind.  But why is it this list cannot be longer.  I believe getting this kind of team here in Bismarck will help more North Dakota ballplayers get a chance to make it to the next level.  This has been my goal from day one of this project.  We have a lot of great baseball talent in this state.  Minot seems to have a pipeline straight to the University of Nebraska .  Williston is plump full of baseball talent.  Then you look at Bismarck, Mandan, Fargo, Grand Forks, Dickinson , Linton, Steele-Dawson and many more.

So here is what I am asking.  If there is anyone out there that is reading this that would like to help or want more information get in contact with me.  Even if you know of someone that may have an interest give them a copy of this and have them get in contact with me. All you have to do is click on my name at the end of this post. You will be able to send me an email to my personal email account.  When I receive it I will gladly call you back or respond.  

Brad Feldman
Posted At 02/03/07
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things