OJ Mayo's Ref Bump

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Ming01 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:12 pm

oj mayo is an idiot, i dont respect him one bit
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:00 pm

one mistake and you cant respect him. i still have a ton of respect for him.  hes the best player in the nation...that deserves respect alone.  its like saying you dont respect roger clemens or greg maddux because they threw at a batter and got ejected.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:33 pm

baseball wrote:one mistake and you cant respect him. i still have a ton of respect for him.  hes the best player in the nation...that deserves respect alone.  its like saying you dont respect roger clemens or greg maddux because they threw at a batter and got ejected.....

Amen
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:05 pm

At certain times in a baseball game throwing inside is part of getting the plate back. 

Mayo was already going to be ejected after the second T.  By the way he was suspended for 2 games.  He is appealing.  Notice that he threw a shoulder at an opponent after the first T.  Then walked back into the crowd of players, why?

Lebron James has been great.  Kevin G. great.  I don't think a year of college is going to help young players.  It may even make them worse.   I mean behaviorally.  People with poor decision making skills don't change over night. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:38 pm

what i meany by clemens and maddux beaning a batter was in retaliation to a teammate being hit.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:18 pm

The beaning part takes away from the game as well. 

I will give into a comparison with hockey.  They fight more than they skate some nights and I don't think it takes away any more from the game than the all-star score fest.

All sports have ugly incidents and players.  I would prefer to hear about adults being stupid than kids.  It really makes me wonder what the player will do once they are getting paid.  What is going to stop them from themselves.  As a HS player parents, family,coaches, teachers, ADs,etc are ther as a support and to help make difficult choices.  When you screw up with all that support the future outlook isn't always real bright.

On a side note, I had heard a pile of negatives about Josh Maurer from Mandan.  Having watched him play several times this year I have to say that none of those negatives have shown to be true.  In fact I think he has been one of many bright spots on that team. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:20 pm

baseball wrote:one mistake and you cant respect him. i still have a ton of respect for him.  hes the best player in the nation...that deserves respect alone.  its like saying you dont respect roger clemens or greg maddux because they threw at a batter and got ejected.....

throwing at a batter is part of the game,  what oj did is not part of basketball...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:32 pm

Ming01 wrote:

throwing at a batter is part of the game,  what oj did is not part of basketball...
throwing at a batter is part of a game but jawing with the refs isnt?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:34 pm

cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

what mayo did shouldnt be tolerated. and yes throwing at a batter in most circumstances is part of baseball
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:36 pm

Ming01 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

what mayo did shouldnt be tolerated. and yes throwing at a batter in most circumstances is part of baseball

wut mayo did talk to a ref isnt that bad wut the ref did shouldnt be tolerated and by the way u go i could say that in most circumstances talkin to the ref is part of the game and in almost all circumstances jawin wit da other team is part of the game a huge part

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:42 pm

cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

wut mayo did talk to a ref isnt that bad wut the ref did shouldnt be tolerated and by the way u go i could say that in most circumstances talkin to the ref is part of the game and in almost all circumstances jawin wit da other team is part of the game a huge part

baseball players argue with the umps all the time and get thrown out, which is the right thing to do and no its not part of the game
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:48 pm

cdub1 wrote:
Ming01 wrote:

how many times during a game does Gary Payton go down the floor with out saying something to the ref....u could count it one one hand missing 3 fingers, rasheed wallace too.  since these guys are on TV everynight kids see that and tihnk talkin to the ref is part of the game.  how come in the NBA its takes tellin a ref to f off to get a T where in high school all thats needed is a look or a "what did i do?"  basketball is basketball call it at one level call it at all levels....like traveling in the NBA
Last edited by baseball on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:28 pm

O.J. was simply going to ask what he did wrong...the ref had one heck of an acting job on that one. He was barely touched and flew like he got hit by a flippin wrecking ball.
project-pat

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:47 pm

It doesnt matter if he barely touched him...he should have avoided that situation....what he did is totally unexceptable....he got t'd up because he was being cocky and the ref didnt want to see that, understand able. Mayo should have let it go with that....but to go out of your way to argue with a ref and then bump into him....not exceptable at all, not the type of message that should be sent to the young people of the country that look up to him. He should be a man and take responsiblity for his actions and not appeal.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:02 pm

why wasnt it just a warning for a delay of game for grabbing the ball....whats the difference between what he did and someone holding a follow through all the way down the court, pounding the chest, popping the jersey, pointing to the crowd, staring an opposing player down downt he court, that little head pound richardson and miles did with the clippers???  these are all acts of emotion and the ref has to know that.  if it gets carried away then blow the whistle, next a high five down the floor with a teammate is gonna be an ejection and a 1 game suspension i suppose????

in case ya havent figured it out i feel it was kinda a weak call and if the ref wouldnt have been so quick on the call that shouldve been jsut delay of game we wouldnt be talking about him running over a ref or a suspension.  one jealous ref makes a bad call and everyone jumps on the kid like he should be given the death penalty....i disagree
Last edited by baseball on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:41 am

ok fair enough on the first technical.....BUT not on the second....after the ref in your opinion made a bad call, then O.J. should have stopped, or talked to the ref under control. I understand that alot of you guys on here say it was a bad call, and that may be, but as the Number 1 recruit in the country he needs to be under control and know what's acceptable and what's not. Bumping a ref IS NOT acceptable.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:46 am

baseball wrote:why wasnt it just a warning for a delay of game for grabbing the ball....whats the difference between what he did and someone holding a follow through all the way down the court, pounding the chest, popping the jersey, pointing to the crowd, staring an opposing player down downt he court, that little head pound richardson and miles did with the clippers???  these are all acts of emotion and the ref has to know that.  if it gets carried away then blow the whistle, next a high five down the floor with a teammate is gonna be an ejection and a 1 game suspension i suppose????

He just kept walking with the ball, is that really necessary?  And all of those that you mentioned are completely different from what he did.  He deserved a T for that.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:04 am

baseball18 wrote:
baseball wrote:why wasnt it just a warning for a delay of game for grabbing the ball....whats the difference between what he did and someone holding a follow through all the way down the court, pounding the chest, popping the jersey, pointing to the crowd, staring an opposing player down downt he court, that little head pound richardson and miles did with the clippers???  these are all acts of emotion and the ref has to know that.  if it gets carried away then blow the whistle, next a high five down the floor with a teammate is gonna be an ejection and a 1 game suspension i suppose????

He just kept walking with the ball, is that really necessary?  And all of those that you mentioned are completely different from what he did.  He deserved a T for that.

its not neccasary but it wuz pretty funny showing the ego i like to see dat in a player

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 am

cdub1 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:

its not neccasary but it wuz pretty funny showing the ego i like to see dat in a player

Players who are arrogant and act like that need to get their man kicked thats what it is
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:40 am

baseball18 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:

Players who are arrogant and act like that need to get their butt kicked thats what it is

so every black player in the nba that isnt named tim duncan needs to his butt kicked?

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball18 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

cdub1 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:

Players who are arrogant and act like that need to get their butt kicked thats what it is

so every black player in the nba that isnt named tim duncan needs to his butt kicked?

What do black players have to do with it?  What are you trying to say?  So you think black players are the only ones who act like that.  Wow
Last edited by baseball18 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:45 am

baseball18 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
baseball18 wrote:

What do black players have to do with it?  What are you trying to say?  So you think black players are the only ones who act like that.  Wow

lol yes i talk trash im a black player the only players i have played against that talk are black players in the nba who is gettin t's and ejections black paleyrs i wuznt sayin that jus becuz they are black i wuz makin the point that almost every1 in the nba is cocky but the white players are not

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:23 am

baseball18 wrote:

he took the ball to the free throw line....its not like it took to the other end of the court and threw into the 15th row.  my point was he carried the ball 10 feet, people hold follow throughs 90 feet, pounding the chest for almost 90 feet, stare at other players the whole court.  he cant take the ball to the free throw line but players can take it after a made shot and throw it to the ref in the corner thats further away from the hoop and get nothing??? i stand by my point that the ref was jealous....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Holy profiling Batman!

Only white NHL players get into fights.:hammer:

Skin color does not determine whether or not you are going to be a positive role model.

Continue to make excuses for people and they will never learn to make better choices.

I have gone to three of my nephews 7th grade BB games and there have been 2 T's.  I couldn't recall a T in a junior high game.  Then I talked to a friend in Mandan and he said he has seen 3 this year.  Two on coaches and one on a player.  He stated all were deserved and some were over due (in the case of one of the coaches).  This to me is evidence that the pro game is seeping down.  Stop it at the top before it hits grade school BB.  Hopfully we won't see parents tackling BB playeres like those in Pop warner FB.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:29 pm

The Schwab wrote:It doesnt matter if he barely touched him...he should have avoided that situation....what he did is totally unexceptable....he got t'd up because he was being cocky and the ref didnt want to see that, understand able. Mayo should have let it go with that....but to go out of your way to argue with a ref and then bump into him....not exceptable at all, not the type of message that should be sent to the young people of the country that look up to him. He should be a man and take responsiblity for his actions and not appeal.

Ok, let me get this straight....that is the first time you've ever seen a basketball player go out of his way to argue with a ref. hahahahahahaha, how much basketball do you actually watch? Everybody thinks Steve Nash is such a golden boy, every game i watch with him in it, he pulls that same stunt at least once. And how is that being cocky to go and ask a ref what you did wrong? I think he deserved to at least know what he did wrong, and if a little contact happens, so be it. It's not like he was trying to physically harm him on purpose.
project-pat

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things