State Championships

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby baseball » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:21 am

of all high school sports which state championship game in the best/most memorable one.  im gonna go with New Rockfrod beating Botno with Cudworths buzzer-beater in Overtime.  2nd would be Cavalier-Steele 2004 baseball.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:12 am

MPCG vs Berthold
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:27 pm

2004 Class A bball St. Mary's over Bismarck, SM's come back in the 4th was amazing.  2006 Class A baseball GFC over North was a great game.  Also Class B state championship 2 years ago with New Rockford winning it.

I know this isnt a state championship game but this game comes to mind, one of the greatest I have watched.  some region championship back in 1998 Class B boys when Standing Rock defeated #1 Scranton to go to state was a heck of a game.
Last edited by Ming01 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 pm

i'm a little biased because on of my relatives coached the team, but the 1990 edgeley boys knocking off dunseith was pretty fun.

i remember thinking that after the semifinals edgeley had no chance...that dunseith team looked pretty tough...really got up and down the floor 

edgeley 78, dunseith 75...i think one of the lamp boys hit free throws down the stretch to ice it.
rep

Postby boysbballfan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:31 pm

I would say last year class B boys championship between MPCG and Trinity close game the entire time and ending on a great shot to win the game.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:13 pm

it wasn't thee state championship game but it was the state championship game when Cavalier played Trinity in the semi finals a couple years ago in football. (sorry Lisbon fans) But it was one heck of a game, best football game i'd ever seen. Cavalier winning in overtime. I won't say how the game went cause I don't want any bad memories to be brought back to trinity fans. :)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:39 pm

The greatest state championship game in class B IMO was New Rockford over Botno. Back and forth at the end, both teams playing their hearts out, and Cudworth brings it home to New Rockford with the sweet fade away at the free throw line. The greatest state championshop game in A IMO was St. Marys over Bismarck in 2004. I believe St. Marys went into the tourney #4 from the WDA which makes it that much more amazing. The greatest regional tournament game I have ever seen was in 2004. LaMoure vs Linton in region 3. LaMoure, lead by Jake Holen, was up by 17 at halftime and dominating Linton. Linton ended up coming back and winning a thriller. If you were at that game, you know what I'm talking about.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:23 pm

baller01 wrote:The greatest state championship game in class B IMO was New Rockford over Botno. Back and forth at the end, both teams playing their hearts out, and Cudworth brings it home to New Rockford with the sweet fade away at the free throw line. The greatest state championshop game in A IMO was St. Marys over Bismarck in 2004. I believe St. Marys went into the tourney #4 from the WDA which makes it that much more amazing. The greatest regional tournament game I have ever seen was in 2004. LaMoure vs Linton in region 3. LaMoure, lead by Jake Holen, was up by 17 at halftime and dominating Linton. Linton ended up coming back and winning a thriller. If you were at that game, you know what I'm talking about.
Agreed about the state championship game. The 2004 region 3 game was pretty unreal. If i remember right, wasn't pbk ahead of linton also in 2005 at halftime.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:40 pm

yes PBK was, both Kinzler and Florhaug hit everything they threw up but struggled int eh 2nd half.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:23 pm

kyle carr also took over a stretch in the second half if i remember right...linton hit like 10 straight points and he had eight of them or something like that
rep

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:15 am

ndfan wrote:it wasn't thee state championship game but it was the state championship game when Cavalier played Trinity in the semi finals a couple years ago in football. (sorry Lisbon fans) But it was one heck of a game, best football game i'd ever seen. Cavalier winning in overtime. I won't say how the game went cause I don't want any bad memories to be brought back to trinity fans. :)

I agree here although if matt anderson and tim oksendahl hadn't got injured and missed part of the game it might not have been so close.  It was still a great game though.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:24 am

a great game in the region 2 tournament of 2004 was cavalier vs. hillsboro in the semifinals when they were down  20 at halftime and brady trenbeath single handedly brought them back. It wasn't by scoring 25 in the second half.  he was getting his teammates involved and showed everyone in the region how good he really was.  sounds similar to the pbk/linton game described earlier, leraas had 20 points, give or take in the first half and cooled down in the second.  The region championship that year was just as good with larimore and cavalier.  this time larimore was up 15 in overtime and cavalier stormed back and won in overtime to go to the state b for the first time since 1990.

That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things