ESPN

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby point/center » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I really can't stand seeing Poker, World's strongest man, or tennis and gofl for that matter. But you know what? I really dont' know if it's good for HS sports to have HS basektball on ESPN.

Sure many of these players from Oak Hill Academy will end up on TV, but man---is this really a good thing?

I turned the channel to Fox Sports--Oregon vs Stanford.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:38 pm

point/center wrote:I really can't stand seeing Poker, World's strongest man, or tennis and gofl for that matter. But you know what? I really dont' know if it's good for HS sports to have HS basektball on ESPN.

Sure many of these players from Oak Hill Academy will end up on TV, but man---is this really a good thing?

Agreed, hs basketball on a major sports network like ESPN is ridiculous. College basketball on TV is great, don't ruin hs atheletes by filling their heads while they are in hs. They should be worried about consentrating on grades, not on whether some major college is going to watch the game or if some famous athlete or person likes the way they play.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:42 pm

i don't mind world's strongest man or tennis or golf on espn because i consider them to be sports.

i can't stand poker or nascar because i don't see either as requiring athleticism (the stamina to sit somewhere for a long time and not pee yourself is not a substitude for athleticism).

high school sports on t.v., while i'm not a huge fan, i don't know if i can distinguish between what espn does and what nbc does for state tournaments. i'm fairly disgusted when nbc puts a t.v. camera in the face of some kid that plays for a team that has just lost a game at state and expects them to say anything. when i talk to coaches after those games they have a hard time saying anything.

if there is an audience for it, there should probably be a t.v. show for it. that said, i'll likely not watch. i'd be curious to know if espn actually makes money on those games.
rep

Postby cdub1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:05 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
point/center wrote:I really can't stand seeing Poker, World's strongest man, or tennis and gofl for that matter. But you know what? I really dont' know if it's good for HS sports to have HS basektball on ESPN.

Agreed, hs basketball on a major sports network like ESPN is ridiculous. College basketball on TV is great, don't ruin hs atheletes by filling their heads while they are in hs. They should be worried about consentrating on grades, not on whether some major college is going to watch the game or if some famous athlete or person likes the way they play.

i love oak hill playing on tv its my only chance to watch these great matchups like branden and nolan againt derrick wont see that again and it is also a great way for a high school player to see what a big time high school game is like so we know what we are working for

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:47 pm

hey, you can talk bad about all the sports on espn you want, but leave golf out of it. I'd rather sit down and watch the tour championship than watch an NBA game these days. What did golf do to you? and some of those HS teams deserve to be on TV over most pro teams, way more exciting to watch.
project-pat

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:54 pm

project-pat wrote:

hey, you can talk bad about all the sports on espn you want, but leave golf out of it. I'd rather sit down and watch the tour championship than watch an NBA game these days. What did golf do to you? and some of those HS teams deserve to be on TV over most pro teams, way more exciting to watch.
I'll give u that, golf is ok to watch, better than the NBA by far. NBA players don't really start playing till the playoffs and then it's debatable.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:55 pm

i like watching high school basketball and poker on espn.  Heck I even dont mind the speilling bee, but its getting ridiculous with like the scrabble and math counts competition.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 pm

cdub1 wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:

i love oak hill playing on tv its my only chance to watch these great matchups like branden and nolan againt derrick wont see that again and it is also a great way for a high school player to see what a big time high school game is like so we know what we are working for

ok...4 of the 5 starters on teams like that are going to be playing D-1 basketball if not the NBA so to say they wont play each other again.  im gonna go out on a limb and say Nolan vs. Rose will happen again....more then once....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:30 am

No, it certainly is not a good thing. If they want to do it at all, why not just broadcast (even if it has already occured) each of every state's state championship games. Just my two cents.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:38 am

i wasnt meaning to say golf is not a sport. or worlds strongest man. just something i'd rather not watch. same goes for poker.

i'll be watching ND State Tourneys---but to me a local broadcast is different than ESPN putting Oak Hill on national TV

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:11 am

Fox does them regionally. No doubt ESPN generates a little more interest. I'd love to see old HS tournament games. but on a local not national stage.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:28 am

1337 wrote:No, it certainly is not a good thing. If they want to do it at all, why not just broadcast (even if it has already occured) each of every state's state championship games. Just my two cents.
i know whrere your coming from saying the states championships but seriously oak hill is like THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM of high schools year in and year out its not much different than watching a college game cuz they are almost all gonna play d1

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm

What is wrong with high school basketball on tv? I happened to love watching a guy named LeBron James make fun of other high school preps from across the nation. These are some of the best players in the nation, why shouldn't they be showcased on national tv? I'm not saying it's the best thing in the world but why is ok that a kid has to stand up and spell "jokaleunaoenape", but another kid can't go out and play a basketball game? I don't see the big deal.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:21 pm

baller01 wrote:jokaleunaoenape

uh...definition?

rep

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:23 pm

rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:jokaleunaoenape

uh...definition?

Haha I made it up. Just trying to get my point across haha. I also happen to love poker on ESPN. Nothing like the intensity of pocket rockets going up against two pair and it all coming down to the river card. I'd rather watch poker then golf.
Last edited by baller01 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:26 pm

like i said, i do not want to here another negative remark towards golf
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:01 pm

project-pat wrote:like i said, i do not want to here another negative remark towards golf

Haha I'm just saying I'd rather see a "royal flush" then a "hole in one."
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:08 pm

golf takes way more skill than poker. poker is all about luck and being able to count cards, whoo whoo. big deal haha
project-pat

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:12 pm

project-pat wrote:golf takes way more skill than poker. poker is all about luck and being able to count cards, whoo whoo. big deal haha

poker takes more skill then you might think
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:14 pm

yeah, dont think that i've never played poker before. i play all the time online and with my buddies, so im pretty sure i know a thing or two. but im just saying, golf takes way more concentration and skill.
project-pat

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:17 pm

project-pat wrote:yeah, dont think that i've never played poker before. i play all the time online and with my buddies, so im pretty sure i know a thing or two. but im just saying, golf takes way more concentration and skill.

yeah golf does obviously but in poker it takes skill to figure out what other ppl are thinking, making the correct decisions, math skills, disicpline, psychological skills, and also knowing when to bet and such
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:17 pm

project-pat wrote:yeah, dont think that i've never played poker before. i play all the time online and with my buddies, so im pretty sure i know a thing or two. but im just saying, golf takes way more concentration and skill.

Haha, PP give it up. Online poker and ESPN poker are just a little different. The only time golf is exciting is if there is a playoff. Poker is exciting every hand.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:23 pm

yeah, poker is really exciting when everyone folds b4 the flop. I really get my rocks off when that happens. And have you ever watched a man by the name of Tiger woods? It is exciting to watch him every hole, and all the legends of the game. I dont want to drop names but "Arnold Palmer" and your vijay singhs and your phil mickelsons. Poker is a luck game, you can be good 1 year in the WSOP then get like 2nd to last the next year. yeah chris moneymaker won and i haven't heard about him since. Steve Dannehmin had a pretty off year as well after coming in 2nd. And don't tell me you didnt find it exciting after watching tiger's comeback following the death of his father. That will beat out any poker match you'll ever see. guarantee it.
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:40 pm

project-pat wrote:yeah, poker is really exciting when everyone folds b4 the flop. I really get my rocks off when that happens. And have you ever watched a man by the name of Tiger woods? It is exciting to watch him every hole, and all the legends of the game. I dont want to drop names but "Arnold Palmer" and your vijay singhs and your phil mickelsons. Poker is a luck game, you can be good 1 year in the WSOP then get like 2nd to last the next year. yeah chris moneymaker won and i haven't heard about him since. Steve Dannehmin had a pretty off year as well after coming in 2nd. And don't tell me you didnt find it exciting after watching tiger's comeback following the death of his father. That will beat out any poker match you'll ever see. guarantee it.

Poker has so much emotion. The only time golf has emotion is when Tiger has a bad shot and slams his club into the ground, haha. Let's see how you act when you are all in with a couple million dollars on the line. Now that is emotion.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:45 pm

I'd probably just sit there with my picture perfect poker face haha. I think the better question is...How would you act when the tour championship is on your shoulders with a 50 foot birdie putt to clinch the victory?
project-pat

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things