media types' blogs

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby rep » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:14 pm

i have seen more and more sports guys around the state starting to do more work with blogs and i'm wondering what the general feeling about them is?

on one hand i guess it personalizes someone who, unless you know them or have talked to them at some point, is nothing but a byline in the paper or a familar face at games.

on the other hand, is it needed/wanted? does anyone actually care about an insider's supposed view on a topic, or is it just one more opinion in an espn-ized landscape where opinion is substituting facts and concrete data?

i have no idea what kind of hits (for example) the forum sports guys or the herald sports guys get...seems like there are always comments posted after kolpack's stuff about the bison. looks like there is interest there, but then again, a lot of people in the state/area live and die bison and sioux sports.

i'm of the mind that blogs for high school sports probably aren't really needed...for the most part there are things you can talk about and things you can't and more than likely those things that you can are in the story.

for colleges and the random semi-pro sports teams and what not, there probably isn't enough space to cover and talk about it all, and it seems like you can do more with something like that because there are no real 'off limits' areas...they are all adults, so basically they are fair game.

but i do go back and forth. i see a blog as a kind of magnifying glass to get into a topic (be it a school or sport or person or whatever) more in-depth. it would certainly be helpful in a lot of situations.

thoughts?
rep

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:23 am

I read the forum guys blogs when I can, I just like to see what they have to say about things that they are closer too when it comes to college and high school in the area. I can't stand Ryan Bakken though, if your main intention is to stuff a certain area off like he does with his to Bison fans then don't do it. His blog is a waste of time and space. If its updated regularly and not once or twice every month either.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 am

You make some interesting points that I was wondering about myself. How many people would be interested in visiting a blog about local high school regularly and what kind of feedback will there be?
I know I'd visit if there were more, just to make sure Im not getting scooped lol.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:09 pm

i know someone personally who runs a sports blog and it's so popular he gets payed by advertisers to run it.

if anyone wants to check out the site here it is:

http://completesports.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:39 pm

in case anybody cares about blogs:
http://thesportsflow.blogspot.com/
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things