Boise State... RESPECT

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby #1balla » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:57 pm

Great game, instant classic.
#1balla

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:04 pm

The greatest college game I have watched in years. 

Play Book for Boise is incredible!  Execution of plays like those takes great coaching.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Pfenix » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:36 pm

That was one of the most roller coaster games I have ever seen!  My buddy left in the third quater cuz he thought it was over.  Man did he miss a game or what!

How'd you like Ian Johnson proposing to his girl friend after the game?  It made me laugh.:P
Pfenix
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:26 pm

BSU=BSC title game next year
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:19 am

[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:
BSU=BSC title game next year

Alright I loved the win and all but title game next year? They stopped Oklahoma's strength the run and their QB was worthless in throwing. Beating Oklahoma by ONE point doesn't get you to be a contender for title next year. You put them against a Ohio State, Florida, or USC in a title game and its not very close. Give Boise state a few years to get better recruits in the WAC now and then MAYBE put them in the talks of title game.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:11 am

Boy am I glad I stayed up to watch it.

Boy am i glad I turned it back on after Zawalski threw the int. for 6.

4th and 18 hook and ladder for a TD with 18 seconds left in the game......incredible

4th and 2 in OT with a WR throwing a TD pass awesome!

Going for two and running the statue of liberty was great. and so was the blocking.

The marriage proposal I thought was kind of cheezy.

Their 13-0 season and winning a bcs bowl game was a huge accomplishment, considering Boise State used to be a junior college, What a great program.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:25 am

This was the best college game I've ever watched.  I mean who gets a statue of liberty play to work for the win???
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ping Pong » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:22 pm

all i can say is wow are they good
Ping Pong

Postby project-pat » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:42 pm

they got an awesome coach who really knows how to get his team to execute. Boise state could've beaten anybody last night the way they ran their plays. yeah my brother is a big OU fan and was telling me about how boise state didnt stand a chance....well the better team won last night.
project-pat

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:05 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:
BSU=BCS title game next year

Alright I loved the win and all but title game next year? They stopped Oklahoma's strength the run and their QB was worthless in throwing. Beating Oklahoma by ONE point doesn't get you to be a contender for title next year. You put them against a Ohio State, Florida, or USC in a title game and its not very close. Give Boise state a few years to get better recruits in the WAC now and then MAYBE put them in the talks of title game.

how many teams went undefeated this year....2 and one is playing for the title.  how does winnning everygame not get u a shot at the national title even if you are from the WAC.  all im saying is that if they run the table again next eyar it would be a shame not to see them in the title game.  you say wow they beat oklahoma by 1,  how many people expected them to even beat oklahoma??  and right now your saying there is no way they can beat OSU, USC, or Florida, how will we know if they never get the chance.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:52 pm

I give Boise states schedule to Florida, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Arkansas, and LSU and I give Boise State any of those teams schedule who comes out undefeated??? When Boise state can put some solid national teams on its schedule and win then I think we can start talking a championship game for them.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:13 pm

not a fan of the trick plays personally...reminds me of the crap that dickinson high was running before they ran goodall off. as far as i'm concerned trick plays are the type of thing that when they work, they look great, but when they don't it is fairly ugly.

i also don't think that running trick plays well is a sign of a well-coached team. i can remember randy moss running a pretty good hook and ladder back in the day and i don't know if anyone would confuse him as a well-coached player nor the vikes under tice as a well-coached team.

i also thought the refs had a good chance of being blind in the game...i think they called only one of the 390394940489038903890358908904890548908903790237890279027902347904379349-034973490379034793479349349457934789347834823468234689 illegal motions in the game. i'm pretty sure that college football isn't played under cfl rules.

personally i thought the only thing boise had going for it was speed. they had speed, oklahoma had adrian peterson and the team with speed beat (barely) the team with one good player. all things considered, i wasn't exactly impressed by the game, though it wasn't horrible.
Last edited by rep on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:58 pm

ndfan wrote:I give Boise states schedule to Florida, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Arkansas, and LSU and I give Boise State any of those teams schedule who comes out undefeated??? When Boise state can put some solid national teams on its schedule and win then I think we can start talking a championship game for them.

Yeah I agree, if you put Boise in the SEC, or even the Pac 10 they would come out with 3 or 4 losses and I know they beat Oregon St. but still going up against that competition every week they would atleast get a few losses.  But we have to have a playoff here.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby #1balla » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:00 pm

rep wrote:not a fan of the trick plays personally...reminds me of the crap that dickinson high was running before they ran goodall off. as far as i'm concerned trick plays are the type of thing that when they work, they look great, but when they don't it is fairly ugly.

i also don't think that running trick plays well is a sign of a well-coached team. i can remember randy moss running a pretty good hook and ladder back in the day and i don't know if anyone would confuse him as a well-coached player nor the vikes under tice as a well-coached team.

i also thought the refs had a good chance of being blind in the game...i think they called only one of the 390394940489038903890358908904890548908903790237890279027902347904379349-034973490379034793479349349457934789347834823468234689 illegal motions in the game. i'm pretty sure that college football isn't played under cfl rules.

personally i thought the only thing boise had going for it was speed. they had speed, oklahoma had adrian peterson and the team with speed beat (barely) the team with one good player. all things considered, i wasn't exactly impressed by the game, though it wasn't horrible.

The hook and latter, i think was a necessary play, it gave them the best to execute on a fourth and 18 it was good play call by the coach. But i do agree that motioning your QB out of the back field on 4th and 2 and not haveing one of the best players in the country in Ian Johnson in the game may have been a liitle ridiculous.  For the statue of liberty to win the game, would they have chosen that play if they were playing for a national championship, or did they run it cause they had nothing to loose and were huge underdogs?
#1balla

Postby #1balla » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Ming01 wrote:
ndfan wrote:I give Boise states schedule to Florida, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Arkansas, and LSU and I give Boise State any of those teams schedule who comes out undefeated??? When Boise state can put some solid national teams on its schedule and win then I think we can start talking a championship game for them.

Yeah I agree, if you put Boise in the SEC, or even the Pac 10 they would come out with 3 or 4 losses and I know they beat Oregon St. but still going up against that competition every week they would atleast get a few losses.  But we have to have a playoff here.

Even if there was a playoff, it would want it to be an 8 team playoff, therefore leaving the Broncos out of the playoff anyways at the 9 seed. The BCS will never be perfect and people should just let it be.
#1balla

Postby rep » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:08 pm

personally i'd like to see the top 20 ranked teams go into a playoff, with four regions (kind of the same idea as basketball) with teams ranked 1-4 (the region's top seeds) getting an opening-round bye.

i'm curious what the next argument against the playoffs will be...my favorite was that students were missing too much school.

of course, students are missing too much school, though pushing this year's national championship out to jan. 8 is apparently being overlooked.

i really wish that the ncaa would come out, be completely honest and say, look, we have this 100 million dollar cash cow...i don't know if you realize it or not, but i can't give it up...man it is 100 million dollars...

granted i would like to see the winner of each playoff game given something like 4 million and each game of the playoffs be a game such as the chick-fil-a semifinal game, but i don't know if it would actually be as marketable as a bowl game
rep

Postby baseball » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:10 pm

no where did i say they would win the title.  im jsut saying that year in and year out they beat the teams that are put in front of them and why not give them the shot.  i hate this system but i have to use it cuz everyone else does.  Oregon state beats USC + Boise State beats Oregon State =  Boise State beats USC???????  im not sayin they woudl beat usc but i would be willing to bet that they would put up a great fight.

just because Wake plays in the ACC they are better then boise?  just because Florida plays in the SEC they are better?  Duke plays in the ACC, and Ole Miss plays in the SEC, are they better then Boise State too?
Last edited by baseball on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:04 am

ndfan (aka hater) 

A team goes undefeated and you would rather blame their schedule than give them credit.  They have a conference those are the teams they are bound to.  They played La Tech, Wyoming, Oregon and Sac state as non-conference games.  Not the worst four teams to play.  Take a look at the other major college teams non-con schedules.

As for the trick plays, the use of trick plays effectively makes for great FB.  The reference to DHS' use and bad memories is because they were not a well coached team and didn't execute well.

Randy Moss' hook and ladder was a one time deal. 

Boise used multiple formations, shifts, motions etc...  I don't recall seeing any illegal motions other than the ones called. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:18 am

I am not a big fan of trick plays either but I am a fan of great football and that is what that game was.

One thing I did not like though was in OT, Boise ran two trick plays out of the gate, they tried a double pass but did not work and another whoopity doo play that actually put Boise in a tough spot and had to convert on 4th down on their 1st series of downs in OT.
Last edited by GRIDIRON GURU on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:56 am

Tiger Pride wrote:Boise used multiple formations, shifts, motions etc...  I don't recall seeing any illegal motions other than the ones called. 

on the touchdown where boise state motioned out the qb in overtime, he took about a step and a half toward the line of scrimmage before the ball was snapped.
rep

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:06 am

That is perfectely legal. 

A player aligned in the backfield may step forward prior to moving laterally.  This applies to RB's as well.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ping Pong » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:07 am

i must say, that boise state rb proposing was soooooooooooooooooo cute. hahaha
Ping Pong

Postby rep » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:30 am

Tiger Pride wrote:That is perfectely legal. 

A player aligned in the backfield may step forward prior to moving laterally.  This applies to RB's as well.

but what i'm saying is that after he motioned out of the backfield and was out by the wr on the near side, he took a step toward the los right before the ball was snapped.
rep

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:30 am

it takes stones to call those plays, and talent (a little luck?) to execute. to that i tip my hat. i've watched those plays on MSN video several times and I'm sorry, if there were illegal motion calls missed, somebody would be screaming about it.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:32 am

rep wrote:
Tiger Pride wrote:That is perfectely legal. 

but what i'm saying is that after he motioned out of the backfield and was out by the wr on the near side, he took a step toward the los right before the ball was snapped.
you must move parallel to the line prior to making a step forward prior to snap right? isnt that what you see TEs do constantly?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things