Mods, Please Start a "Referees" Tab

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Mods, Please Start a "Referees" Tab

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:09 pm

To the Moderators,

Could someone please add a "Referees" tab, so those of us that are refs can sound off on issues.

I'll start:

Under a new thread called "Concussion Training"

The state's concussion policy is a terrible policy for referees.

Giving referees the responsibility to remove athletes from games when we feel they are exhibiting concussion-like symptoms puts us in a terrible position.

There are two or three of us in basketball, baseball, and hockey. We have to watch every player to enforce this policy. Coaches have to watch their players, no one else.

If the state has to give us the freedom to remove players, the state has a bigger problem than concussions. It has a problem with coaches that care more about wins than the health of their players.

By the way, I just took my concussion training course again. It would be easier to take it seriously if the narrator didn't blink, breath, lose his place, and jerk his head around like he's had about 20 concussions in his lifetime, his last one 5 minutes ago. Who knows, maybe this makes us better at recognizing concussions. If a player acts like the narrator guy from the video, that player needs to come out.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: Mods, Please Start a "Referees" Tab

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 am

From the coaching side of things, had players miss more than 15 days (each) this year due to concussions, I may be in the minority but if a player has a head injury we take extra precautions. I can't believe no one has brought this up, but in the State Tournament this year there was a player who exhibited signs of concussion that was taken out of the game by coaches and refs (I believe) and returned to the game, clearly looking dazed. If I'm wrong and the injury was not a head injury I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but from where I sat the athlete looked to have a concussion and should have been checked by a doctor (which is what the rule states).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:40 am

The Schwab wrote:From the coaching side of things, had players miss more than 15 days (each) this year due to concussions, I may be in the minority but if a player has a head injury we take extra precautions. I can't believe no one has brought this up, but in the State Tournament this year there was a player who exhibited signs of concussion that was taken out of the game by coaches and refs (I believe) and returned to the game, clearly looking dazed. If I'm wrong and the injury was not a head injury I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but from where I sat the athlete looked to have a concussion and should have been checked by a doctor (which is what the rule states).

They can get cleared by a trainer as well..Did the trainer come over and look at him?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 am

I haven't had any problems as an official with coaches taking athletes out when there are head injuries. Coaches have the same training and responsibility when it comes to concussions and I don't think it is ever a bad idea to have more than one set of eyes looking out for symptoms of concussions. I think that the biggest responsibility of the official lies in stopping the game when there is a head injury. I have seen officials let the game play on and force a coach to take a time out when there is very clearly a head injury.

What I don't think should be the responsibility of the official is making sure that all the headbands, skids, and god knows what else is the same color. I don't care if you a player has a white headband on and black skids or if one kid is wearing a white headband and the other has on a black one. It does not have anything to do with the game. Also, Under Armour has its logo on the inside waistband of their uniform shorts. If it is going to be against the rules to roll your waistband because it shows too many logos, then they need to make shorts that fit the kids better!
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Baller wrote:
The Schwab wrote:From the coaching side of things, had players miss more than 15 days (each) this year due to concussions, I may be in the minority but if a player has a head injury we take extra precautions. I can't believe no one has brought this up, but in the State Tournament this year there was a player who exhibited signs of concussion that was taken out of the game by coaches and refs (I believe) and returned to the game, clearly looking dazed. If I'm wrong and the injury was not a head injury I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but from where I sat the athlete looked to have a concussion and should have been checked by a doctor (which is what the rule states).

They can get cleared by a trainer as well..Did the trainer come over and look at him?

Trainer appeared to look for a minute, player went back into the game, then came out and sat the rest of the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm

First round of state Stanley's leggings didn't match their undershirts. I thought they had to be the same color?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Depends if they were actually leggings or if they were skids. Skids are deemed kneepads so just all have to be the same color. Undershirts have to match the uniform top.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Baller wrote:I haven't had any problems as an official with coaches taking athletes out when there are head injuries. Coaches have the same training and responsibility when it comes to concussions and I don't think it is ever a bad idea to have more than one set of eyes looking out for symptoms of concussions. I think that the biggest responsibility of the official lies in stopping the game when there is a head injury. I have seen officials let the game play on and force a coach to take a time out when there is very clearly a head injury.

What I don't think should be the responsibility of the official is making sure that all the headbands, skids, and god knows what else is the same color. I don't care if you a player has a white headband on and black skids or if one kid is wearing a white headband and the other has on a black one. It does not have anything to do with the game. Also, Under Armour has its logo on the inside waistband of their uniform shorts. If it is going to be against the rules to roll your waistband because it shows too many logos, then they need to make shorts that fit the kids better!

Great post. What percentage of the basketball rule book deals with things other than the actual playing of the game? This garbage about colors matching, logos showing/not showing, jersey tucked in, etc.... As a coach, I hope the referees are paying more attention to the game than the fashion show. As for head injuries, that should be on the coaches period. Referees can stop the game for an injury, but weather a player returns to the game or not should be on the coach. Maybe if they got rid of the things that really don't matter, referees could concentrate more on the things that do?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Baller wrote:What I don't think should be the responsibility of the official is making sure that all the headbands, skids, and god knows what else is the same color. I don't care if you a player has a white headband on and black skids or if one kid is wearing a white headband and the other has on a black one. It does not have anything to do with the game. Also, Under Armour has its logo on the inside waistband of their uniform shorts. If it is going to be against the rules to roll your waistband because it shows too many logos, then they need to make shorts that fit the kids better!

First off what are skids?
The logos on the inside of the shorts drive me nuts on a few parts:
1. dumb rule
2. why does UA have to put darn many logos on the inside of their shorts
3. bugs me when the refs make you roll the band up
4. also bugs me when the ref comes and tells me, "hey just to let you know that your team isn't supposed to wear their shorts like that. Just letting you know some other official is going to make you change."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:29 am

Skids are the long knee pads that the kids wear.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things