MJ/Kobe

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

MJ/Kobe

Postby winner-within » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:21 pm

I agree with Reggie Miller for the most part.....maybe not the 10 times better but for sure the much better Baller

"Michael Jordan on his worst day is ten times better than Kobe Bryant on his best day," Miller continued, "and that is not short-changing Kobe Bryant."
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: MJ/Kobe

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:15 am

MJ is/was the greatest player in NBA history. If I had to list who I think are the top players in NBA history I would go with the following:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Magic Johnson
5. Tim Duncan
6. Hakeem Olajawan
7. Kobe Bryant
8. Larry Bird
9. Jerry West
10. Wilt Chamberlain
11. Julius Erving
12. Elgin Bayler
13. Shaquille O'Neal
14. Bill Russel
15. Charles Barkley

Go ahead and disagree with me!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:40 am

winner-within wrote:I agree with Reggie Miller for the most part.....maybe not the 10 times better but for sure the much better Baller

"Michael Jordan on his worst day is ten times better than Kobe Bryant on his best day," Miller continued, "and that is not short-changing Kobe Bryant."

I agree as well, but definitely think Miller is exaggerating. What I don't understand is why this is even brought up, I don't know anyone who has ever said Kobe was better. However, I know someone who believes Lebron is better than Jordan. Again, I disagree, but I think it's a much more interesting and realistic comparison.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:51 am

Sportsrube wrote:MJ is/was the greatest player in NBA history. If I had to list who I think are the top players in NBA history I would go with the following:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Magic Johnson
5. Tim Duncan
6. Hakeem Olajawan
7. Kobe Bryant
8. Larry Bird
9. Jerry West
10. Wilt Chamberlain
11. Julius Erving
12. Elgin Bayler
13. Shaquille O'Neal
14. Bill Russel
15. Charles Barkley

Go ahead and disagree with me!

I'll respectfully disagree, mainly with Kobe and Dr. J. Would throw them out of top 15. Move Shaq up next to Hakeem. Throw Karl Malone in there, and probably Jason Kidd, and I would add Lebron already. I especially like with where you put Duncan, because I believe he is criminally under-appreciated.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 pm

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Shaq
4. Magic Johnson
5. Tim Duncan
6. Hakeem Olajawan
7. Lebron (for now)
8. Larry Bird
9. Jerry West
10. Wilt Chamberlain
11. Bill Rusell
12. Jason Kidd
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Karl Malone
15. Charles Barkley or KG

Have at it...
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:10 pm

east sider wrote:1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Shaq
4. Magic Johnson
5. Tim Duncan
6. Hakeem Olajawan
7. Lebron (for now)
8. Larry Bird
9. Jerry West
10. Wilt Chamberlain
11. Bill Rusell
12. Jason Kidd
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Karl Malone

Have at it...

You have Jason Kidd on there but no Kobe?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:08 pm

I think Jason Kidd is the best PG of the last 30 years, that's why he is up there. Nash, Parker, Thomas, Stockton, Payton very much in the convo.

I think you definitely have an argument of putting Kobe up there. But for me it's more personal.Telling teams before the draft he wouldn't play for them, waving off Malone in the All star game, taking stupid inefficient shots b/c he doesn't seem to trust is less-than-worthy teammates to take an open one. But what most bothered me was his jealousy of Shaq and his accolades when they were winning together. He is very lucky to be a Laker, because nobody wants to play with this guy, people simply want to play for the Lakers. Honestly, I hate him.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:56 pm

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Shaq
4. Magic Johnson
5. Tim Duncan
6. Hakeem Olajawan
7. Lebron (for now)
8. Larry Bird
9. Jerry West
10. Wilt Chamberlain
11. Bill Rusell
12. Jason Kidd
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Karl Malone

Have at it...

So you are saying if LeBron retired right now he would be in the top 10 all time? No way. Almost everyone else on the list has accomplished why more than Lebron has right now. Maybe in the future I would put him on the list but not right now.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Sniper wrote:
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Shaq
4. Magic Johnson
5. Tim Duncan
6. Hakeem Olajawan
7. Lebron (for now)
8. Larry Bird
9. Jerry West
10. Wilt Chamberlain
11. Bill Rusell
12. Jason Kidd
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Karl Malone

Have at it...

So you are saying if LeBron retired right now he would be in the top 10 all time? No way. Almost everyone else on the list has accomplished why more than Lebron has right now. Maybe in the future I would put him on the list but not right now.

4 MVP's and Multiple rings...he's in the top 15 ever right now.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:14 pm

I was going to post a number of reasons why LeBron deserves to be on the list, but it may take awhile and Schwab already posted the two best reasons anyway. Would appreciate an explanation of why LeBron doesn't belong on this list.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sniper » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:30 pm

I find it hard to put him above players like Bird and Rusell who were just as or more dominate during their eras and have accomplished more. Also was not a fan of how he left Clevland for a better team then returned once they had some talent again.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby east sider » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Are we talking winning when you say dominance? As far as talent and ability on both ends of the court he does quite well compared to them, and really anyone. I think you have a fair argument when you say he shouldn't be above them (*yet). But earlier you said he shouldn't even be on the list, which I disagree with.

I didn't mind the move to the Heat. The Celtics basically did the same thing a few years before that, which was the exact reason his team was unable to make the Finals. He was frustrated with it and took it upon himself to even the playing field. He even took a minor pay-cut to do it, which nobody ever mentions. He came back to Cleveland and they have one legit star in Irving, Bennet who was a terrible pick, and Wiggins. Not exactly loaded with talent.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:14 pm

my top 10 based on not necessarily success but yet shear ability to compete at the highest level in the world...the NBA.....I leave out west, russel, wilt, robinson....because I never seen them play...so lets say this list is since 1980

MJ (gave his allowance to siblings to do his chores so he could go play ball on the playground..has had success with shoes) :D
Hakeem (only player ever to get the best of MJ in the league winning 12 out of the 21 times)
Magic (simply the headsyest ball player Ive ever watched)
Bird (clutch city with MJ/Kareem desire to win)
Kareem (unstoppable)
Duncan (nuff said)
LeBron (was a man at 17 and knows the system..FREAK)
Kobe (still a boy at 17 but was a man by 20...smooth as silk)
Shaq (BIG does spell bad..POWERHOUSE)
KG/Ewing (once again playing beyond his age (kg) and dominating in his mid career years)...Ewing having to be same era as MJ had his work cut out....I always liked Patricks game, attitude, and perseverance

8)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

I like the idea of leaving out players you've never seen play. Nice list, but gotta say I'm surprised you left Karl Malone off your list though. But Ewing deserves a mention as well
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 pm

east sider wrote:I like the idea of leaving out players you've never seen play. Nice list, but gotta say I'm surprised you left Karl Malone off your list though. But Ewing deserves a mention as well

I was going to have honorable mentions....not that they shouldn't be in the top 10 of mine but you can only have so many...

certain players that intrigued/intrigue "me" and thats what my list is about...I wouldn't want to sit and argue over my list I just think its fun

Basketball was my life at one time and still holds a lot of my attention...I've always looked at the sport in ways I dont think others totally do....and what I mean by that is there are certain aspects in an athlete that hold my attention and gain my respect....for some reason Karl Malone didnt do that...although I know how good he was I was a bigger fan of lets say Charles Barkley (as a player..not analyst)

Players that were/are fun to watch for me that are not on the list

Isaiah Thomas
Tony Kukoc
Scottie Pippen
Dominic Wilkens
Shawn Kemp
Russel Westbrook
KD
Kevin Love
Derick Rose
Hardin
Curry
Blake Griffen
Charles Oakley
Alonzo Morning (one of my favs)
Chris Webber
Jalen Rose
Reggie Miller
Dr. J (didnt get to see a lot)
Clyde "the glide" Drexler
David Robinson
Penny Hardaway
Glenn Robinson
Dan Majerle
Vince Carter (truly amazing player)
Dwayne Wade

never was Stockton, Kidd, Nash, Parker, Ginobli fan..Why? I dont really know I assume it could be I resent point guards. :D haha
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby radball » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:48 pm

1.MJ,
Kareem AJ
Shaq(though alot of his points came from offensive fouls not called, which i hate the way the game is played now, just put your shoulder down and knock them down,errr)
Larry Bird
Magic J( LB and MAgic can be flip flopped, i missed the good old days)
Tim Duncan
Kobe B.(only if he would of learned better team ball earlier in his career,then he would be 3 or 4)
Kevin Garrant( just think if he had a average team around him in minn, people don't understand how good he was at all aspects of the game, just look at his numbers, and defense was amazing)
Bill Russell
Oscar R
Hakeem Olajawan(maybe a little to high, but he dominated a era of centers)
Iverson( look past his poor work ethic and attitude, and you will see why he is here, no one could stop him)
Kevin Durrant( best pure shooter of all time. if his body holds up)(Dr. J could go here, but didn't c him alot)
Wilt C.
Lebron J. ( still not sold on him, not clutch enough for me, and he is playing in a era of refs that let players plow over people)
radball
NDPreps Starter

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things