NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Alright all you big NBA fans, what's going to happen in the next few weeks? What big trades will happen before/during the draft? Who opts out of contracts? Who signs where? Lots of shake up could happen very soon.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:43 am

Here is a post from another forum wrt to the Love situation which I agree with.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showp ... count=6853

The only trade that offers remotely close to fair value is.Boston if they give up some combo of Olynyk, Sully etc. plus a ****ton of picks. Flip won't do that because he wants to win now. If the Wolves don't want to go full rebuild then yeah keep Love. You are taking a net negative if you deal him now.

The options with keeping him seem more attractive:

1) Wolves are in the playoff mix and winning and Loves mind is changed and he stays. All reports so far about why he wants to leave are that while he doesn't mind it here he doesn't think he can win.

2) Wolves aren't winning or mediocre and you get some team desperate for a playoff jolt to overpay at the deadline. That scenario isn't as likely but you never know. GMs can do dumb **** when their backs are against the wall.

3) Love leaves anyway which opens up lots of cap space. Hate this one the most because no marquee FA wants to play here but still gives us options.

I say put the best possible team together with Love and force his hand. Esp if the Wolves win. Force him to walk away from the extra $20+M we can give him on a team that isn't THAT far away.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 am

My predictions: Saunders doesn't trade Love. Lebron resigns in Miami. Carmelo goes to Chicago.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:29 am

NDSportsFan wrote:My predictions: Saunders doesn't trade Love. Lebron resigns in Miami. Carmelo goes to Chicago.

I think Love gets traded on draft night. I also have Carmelo going to Chicago. Lebron back to Miami. Cleveland trades #1 pick now that Embiid is hurt.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:15 am

Any thoughts on the draft? I'm surprised there wasn't a blockbuster trade of a superstar before or during the draft. The Sixers picks surprised me a little. Going with an injured player the year after trading for one with a torn ACL. Could work out for them a few years down the road, but both may never pan out to be injury free and play much either. Big gamble. Now on to free agency.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 am

no trades didn't surprise me at all......I to think Love moves, and Melo to Bulls...King stays in Miami, I really like the move on Napier
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:29 pm

The Napier to Miami thing is funny. Like Lebron really cares about some late 1st round draft pick.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:59 pm

LeBron could, would, and might leave Miami, if he does its not like I'd eat crow because its the NBA and its the trendy NBA...but we know he likes Riley (who wouldn't if your goal is to be a Champ and a legend) ....see most who dabble with the NBA (watch espn to keep speed and then a few playoff games and most of the E. con finals, W. con finals then finals) honestly believe that its players and players alone who win the titles.

he cares
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Flip wrote:The Napier to Miami thing is funny. Like Lebron really cares about some late 1st round draft pick.

Weather or not they made the move for Lebron, they still would have made the move(I'm a heat fan). He is a playmaker, he can pass, he has great range, he plays defense, and he has played in many big games.
He is the most complete pg in this draft.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:48 pm

go maji wrote:Weather or not they made the move for Lebron, they still would have made the move(I'm a heat fan). He is a playmaker, he can pass, he has great range, he plays defense, and he has played in many big games.

Not really sure how his game is going to translate to the NBA and I doubt he's an average defender. He's tiny, has mediocre athleticism at best and he's already 23 so the chances he improves a lot are slim.
Last edited by Flip on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:46 am

go maji wrote:
Flip wrote:The Napier to Miami thing is funny. Like Lebron really cares about some late 1st round draft pick.

Weather or not they made the move for Lebron, they still would have made the move(I'm a heat fan). He is a playmaker, he can pass, he has great range, he plays defense, and he has played in many big games.

Fact is, IMO, the Heat needed and may still need (my faith in Cole is minimal) a real hard look at guard play
I watch a lot of Miami ball and Chalmers and LeBron have their differences (they try down play it).

so like Pat said "they will retool" I think Nap is a good chioce.....I look at it like this if The Heat order new bath towels they're thinking of #6.. :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:52 pm

I really hope they don't resign Chalmers. They're thinking of trading Cole. Haslem opted out to provide flexibility for the team (but not to leave the team).

They are doing all of this to possibly get Kyle Lowery. That should solve their pg problem.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:08 am

An ESPN guy laid it out pretty plainly. Everyone opts out so they can sign longer term deals at less per year. The Heat use that money to bolster their depth and improve the PG. Kyle Lowry is the best guess.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:41 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:An ESPN guy laid it out pretty plainly. Everyone opts out so they can sign longer term deals at less per year. The Heat use that money to bolster their depth and improve the PG. Kyle Lowry is the best guess.

BINGO

It was probably Windhorst.

The thing with Lowery. He only becomes a FA July 1. So they can trade him now, or let him leave for nothing. I think Miami is going to trade Cole and future draft picks for him.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:31 pm

go maji wrote:The thing with Lowery. He only becomes a FA July 1. So they can trade him now, or let him leave for nothing. I think Miami is going to trade Cole and future draft picks for him.

They can't trade him unless he signs with them and he can't sign until July 8th.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Flip wrote:
go maji wrote:The thing with Lowery. He only becomes a FA July 1. So they can trade him now, or let him leave for nothing. I think Miami is going to trade Cole and future draft picks for him.

They can't trade him unless he signs with them and he can't sign until July 8th.

FA can't sign until July 8th. But they can trade before July 1st.(Tyson Chandler was traded last week)
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 pm

exactly, the only way Lowry can be traded is a sign and trade. Toronto can't trade him now he's a FA.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:42 pm

I think Miami got a steal in Napier. He's a legitimate playmaker. He can set others up and was great in the pick and roll in college. I was hoping OKC would take him and move Westbrook to the 2.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15 pm

LeBron is heading back to Cleveland.

Rumors flying that Cleveland may be looking at dealing for Love now.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 pm

And in the morning I'm leaving, making my way back to Cleveland
So tonight I hope that I will do just fine

yes bring on "The Love machine"!!! :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:15 pm

So much for that Lebron to the Knicks prediction.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Love to the Cavaliers....does this make them the Fav in the east?...I personally think it does barring injuries
although if Rose holds on to health then the Bulls will have something to say about it
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:14 pm

winner-within wrote:Love to the Cavaliers....does this make them the Fav in the east?...I personally think it does barring injuries
although if Rose holds on to health then the Bulls will have something to say about it

Whether they're the favorite or not, they still have more question marks than the Bulls or Heat. Like clutch-ness, bench play, defense, chemistry, un-proven coach etc. etc. Two of their 3 best players have 0 playoff experience. I have the Cavs third.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 pm

winner-within wrote:Love to the Cavaliers....does this make them the Fav in the east?...I personally think it does barring injuries

Cavs were the favorite to win the title BEFORE they got Love.

go maji wrote:Whether they're the favorite or not, they still have more question marks than the Bulls or Heat. Like clutch-ness, bench play, defense, chemistry, un-proven coach etc. etc. Two of their 3 best players have 0 playoff experience. I have the Cavs third.

You're crazy. You could make a lot of money if you're willing to put some money on that craziness.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:13 am

Sure they're the betting favorite. But you would also be crazy to count out Miami. Like everyone is. If Miami gets Okafor they will be better than last year IMO, and be title contenders.

Miami can guard cleveland at every position. The same can not be said the other way around.

And their best defender, Lebron James, has lost a step the last couple of years. Combined with coaches that aren't really known for defense or came from losing teams.

Like Rudy Tomjanovich once said: "Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!"
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things