NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 pm

go maji wrote:Sure they're the betting favorite. But you would also be crazy to count out Miami. Like everyone is. If Miami gets Okafor they will be better than last year IMO, and be title contenders.

Please explain.

Miami can guard cleveland at every position. The same can not be said the other way around.

Who is going to guard Lebron?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby winner-within » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:Love to the Cavaliers....does this make them the Fav in the east?...I personally think it does barring injuries
although if Rose holds on to health then the Bulls will have something to say about it

Cavs were the favorite to win the title BEFORE they got Love.

go maji wrote:Whether they're the favorite or not, they still have more question marks than the Bulls or Heat. Like clutch-ness, bench play, defense, chemistry, un-proven coach etc. etc. Two of their 3 best players have 0 playoff experience. I have the Cavs third.

You're crazy. You could make a lot of money if you're willing to put some money on that craziness.


I would agree one may think this after George went down...Bennet and Wiggins wouldnt have gelled quick enough with KI and LBJ this season, or maybe even next
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:51 pm

I should have been more clear. The Cavs were the favorite to not just win the East, but the whole thing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby go maji » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Flip wrote:
go maji wrote:Sure they're the betting favorite. But you would also be crazy to count out Miami. Like everyone is. If Miami gets Okafor they will be better than last year IMO, and be title contenders.

Please explain.

Miami can guard cleveland at every position. The same can not be said the other way around.

Who is going to guard Lebron?



#1 As soon as Lebron goes on the bench, I'll take my chances with Irvings 43% fg% and Loves 45% fg%. But Miami will keep coming wave after wave.
Last year wade shot 54% and Bosh shot 52%. Also, cleveland has alot of players I've never heard of.

#2 As for guarding Lebron. It will be Deng. He is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. He did a great job of it in Chicago before he went to Cleveland. With a great coaching staff behind him, I suspect he should be back to his old ways.

As for Cleveland?

Irving- One of the worst defensive pg in the league
Waiters- ranked the worst defender in the nba(Beasley was ranked above him)
Lebron- let guys "blow" by him last year
Love-Terrible defender
Varejao- good defender
go maji
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Minot, North Dakota

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:24 pm

go maji wrote:#1 As soon as Lebron goes on the bench, I'll take my chances with Irvings 43% fg% and Loves 45% fg%. But Miami will keep coming wave after wave.
Last year wade shot 54% and Bosh shot 52%. Also, cleveland has alot of players I've never heard of.

FG% isn't the best tool to use when you can use eFG%, also you completely ignore their usage. Without Lebron, Bosh and Wade's usage will go up and the quality of their shots is going to go down. Bosh was 73rd ITL in usage (his lowest % since his 2nd year), Wade would have been 13th, but he didn't qualify because he didn't play enough minutes in the filter I used. Love and Irving were the best players on their team and were 8th and 11th ITL in usage. With Lebron their usage is going to go down, but the quality of their shots is going to be a lot better.

I just don't see how you lose the best player ITL and get better.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... by=usg_pct
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby winner-within » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:54 am

Flip wrote:I should have been more clear. The Cavs were the favorite to not just win the East, but the whole thing.


Optimism...my favorite sports tool.....your always clear Flip
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby go maji » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Flip wrote:
go maji wrote:#1 As soon as Lebron goes on the bench, I'll take my chances with Irvings 43% fg% and Loves 45% fg%. But Miami will keep coming wave after wave.
Last year wade shot 54% and Bosh shot 52%. Also, cleveland has alot of players I've never heard of.

FG% isn't the best tool to use when you can use eFG%, also you completely ignore their usage. Without Lebron, Bosh and Wade's usage will go up and the quality of their shots is going to go down. Bosh was 73rd ITL in usage (his lowest % since his 2nd year), Wade would have been 13th, but he didn't qualify because he didn't play enough minutes in the filter I used. Love and Irving were the best players on their team and were 8th and 11th ITL in usage. With Lebron their usage is going to go down, but the quality of their shots is going to be a lot better.

I just don't see how you lose the best player ITL and get better.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... by=usg_pct


Actually you might be surprised about wade and Boshs' usage. Considering Miami has a deeper team, and a better passing team than last year.
go maji
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Minot, North Dakota

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby winner-within » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:38 pm

The Heat went to the finals all 4 yrs while LeBron was there, won 2 lost 2 you can talk usage, you can analyse till your blue in the face....but while he (and you know who I mean) was away the cavs snagged 3 #1's and a #4....not making the playoffs once hence, of course the picks.....although prior, when "he" was there, playoffs 5 in a row, conf finals 2 times, finals 1 time...thats how you measure the NBA, not with hindsight like I just did, but with common sense....there was never a big three in Miami...there was LeBron....and now he's back home...right?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby go maji » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:56 pm

winner-within wrote:The Heat went to the finals all 4 yrs while LeBron was there, won 2 lost 2 you can talk usage, you can analyse till your blue in the face....but while he (and you know who I mean) was away the cavs snagged 3 #1's and a #4....not making the playoffs once hence, of course the picks.....although prior, when "he" was there, playoffs 5 in a row, conf finals 2 times, finals 1 time...thats how you measure the NBA, not with hindsight like I just did, but with common sense....there was never a big three in Miami...there was LeBron....and now he's back home...right?


How many championships did he have in Cleveland?

You could say the same about Wade.

Pre-Lebron: Wade made the playoffs 6-7 years. The only time he didn't make the playoffs, he was injured for most of the year. 2 conf. finals. Plus a championship. W/O Lebron.
go maji
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Minot, North Dakota

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

go maji wrote:
winner-within wrote:The Heat went to the finals all 4 yrs while LeBron was there, won 2 lost 2 you can talk usage, you can analyse till your blue in the face....but while he (and you know who I mean) was away the cavs snagged 3 #1's and a #4....not making the playoffs once hence, of course the picks.....although prior, when "he" was there, playoffs 5 in a row, conf finals 2 times, finals 1 time...thats how you measure the NBA, not with hindsight like I just did, but with common sense....there was never a big three in Miami...there was LeBron....and now he's back home...right?


How many championships did he have in Cleveland?

You could say the same about Wade.

Pre-Lebron: Wade made the playoffs 6-7 years. The only time he didn't make the playoffs, he was injured for most of the year. 2 conf. finals. Plus a championship. W/O Lebron.[/quote]

W/O Lebron but with Shaq

I see Miami as about a 4 seed in the east, but since Indiana will slip without George maybe a 3. Charlotte should be a little better, Washington a little better, and Toronto could have another good year. Miami could end up as low as a 6 seed as well. After Chicago and Cleveland, the rest of the east should be pretty close. My pick is Chicago represents the East in the finals as long as Rose stays healthy. I think they are the more complete and definitely experienced team compared to Cleveland and we all know the Bulls can play D.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3580
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby winner-within » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
go maji wrote:
winner-within wrote:The Heat went to the finals all 4 yrs while LeBron was there, won 2 lost 2 you can talk usage, you can analyse till your blue in the face....but while he (and you know who I mean) was away the cavs snagged 3 #1's and a #4....not making the playoffs once hence, of course the picks.....although prior, when "he" was there, playoffs 5 in a row, conf finals 2 times, finals 1 time...thats how you measure the NBA, not with hindsight like I just did, but with common sense....there was never a big three in Miami...there was LeBron....and now he's back home...right?


How many championships did he have in Cleveland?

You could say the same about Wade.

Pre-Lebron: Wade made the playoffs 6-7 years. The only time he didn't make the playoffs, he was injured for most of the year. 2 conf. finals. Plus a championship. W/O Lebron.[/quote]

W/O Lebron but with Shaq

I see Miami as about a 4 seed in the east, but since Indiana will slip without George maybe a 3. Charlotte should be a little better, Washington a little better, and Toronto could have another good year. Miami could end up as low as a 6 seed as well. After Chicago and Cleveland, the rest of the east should be pretty close. My pick is Chicago represents the East in the finals as long as Rose stays healthy. I think they are the more complete and definitely experienced team compared to Cleveland and we all know the Bulls can play D.


Bulls are better coached too...although I'm not hugely afraid of Blatt given not so much his players but what I've read and when I hear him speak....Rose, period, not only has to stay healthy, he has to get his legs back (USA ball will help this) and master the point position, not doing it all on his own...I firmly believe that you will see LeBron on the Block as much as Love....and now you have 2 guys basicaly capable of a power forward, a small forward and a shooting guard along with lebron being able to play point....one nice thing is they (media and haters) cant say "big three" OH but wait....they'll turn K Irving into Wade...LOL :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

Flip wrote:I should have been more clear. The Cavs were the favorite to not just win the East, but the whole thing.



Even LeBron would argue with you on this one...

taken from SI
[The Bulls] are a team that's much better than us right now just off chemistry," James said. "They've been together for awhile, we've got a long way to go."
"You've got to go through something to create a bond; that means for the worse," James said. "We've got to lose ballgames that we think we should've won, we've got to get into an argument every now and then just to test each other out."

is he teasing?? .. :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 pm

It can't be argued it's a fact.

Cavs are still favorites.

http://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx

Cleveland Cavaliers +260
San Antonio Spurs +385
Oklahoma City Thunder +675
Chicago Bulls +700
Los Angeles Clippers +900
Houston Rockets +1900
Golden State Warriors +2500
Dallas Mavericks +2800
Washington Wizards +3500
Miami Heat +4000
Memphis Grizzlies +4500
Portland Trail Blazers +4500
Brooklyn Nets +6000
Los Angeles Lakers +6600
New York Knicks +6600
Toronto Raptors +6600
Indiana Pacers +8000
Phoenix Suns +8000
New Orleans Pelicans +9000
Charlotte Hornets +10000
Atlanta Hawks +10000
Denver Nuggets +11000
Boston Celtics +15000
Detroit Pistons +15000
Minnesota Timberwolves +18500
Sacramento Kings +20000
Utah Jazz +25000
Orlando Magic +30000
Milwaukee Bucks +40000
Philadelphia 76ers +50000
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby winner-within » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 pm

In Vegas or In Reality?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:36 pm

winner-within wrote:In Vegas or In Reality?

I'm sure they're favorites in all sports books.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: NBA - Free Agency, Draft, Trades

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 pm

go maji wrote:Whether they're the favorite or not, they still have more question marks than the Bulls or Heat. Like clutch-ness, bench play, defense, chemistry, un-proven coach etc. etc. Two of their 3 best players have 0 playoff experience. I have the Cavs third.


Lots of Heat talk in the first 7 minutes.

Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Previous

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest