Old Newspaper Sports Articles

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Old Newspaper Sports Articles

Postby ndcharlie37 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Could someone help me out ? Is it possible to go "online" and somehow access old sports page archives from major North Dakota newspapers? I would really enjoy reading and seeing pictures of Class "B" and "C" tournament games from "way back" in the early to mid 50's. I'm guessing that the only ways to read up on all these old games would be to physically go into the newspaper offices and look on micro-film. Anyhow, if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.....................ndcharlie37@yahoo.com.............THANX
ndcharlie37
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Old Newspaper Sports Articles

Postby Mandan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:41 pm

I don't know of an online way, but some public and college libraries have newspapers on microfilm. I know when I went to Dickinson State, their library had microfilm of the Dickinson Press. I believe the Bismarck public library has multiple newspapers on microfilm. I assume other public libraries in cities with daily papers would have the same thing.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:53 pm

The Fargo public library has archived newspapers online, but you have to have a library card to access it. I have never done it, but that's what it says on their website.

Otherwise I fear you might have to physically go to each cities library and do some legwork.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1112cc » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:52 pm

You can find the Bismarck tribune on the bismarck public library web site, under e resources. But you have to have a library card. But they only go up to 1956 on line, after that you have to go to the library for the rest. I've been doing some research of my own and have been using this resource and they are very hard to read, it seems that every article that you need to read is the one where the print is bad.most of the papers had the state historical society or the state library stamps on them, so you might want to check with them also.
1112cc
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things