Triple Crown

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Triple Crown

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:52 am

For anyone that paid attention to California Chrome and their bid for the Triple Crown: Do you agree with the existing rule that the horses running do not have to participate in all 3 events for the Triple Crown?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Triple Crown

Postby Hinsa » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:37 pm

I don't believe there is any rule in place at all. If they want to run, they enter and run. If they don't want to run, they don't. To me that's just free enterprise. I don't think there is any legal basis for trying to force horses to run in all 3 races.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm not completely sure on how horse racing works, but would love to see the races spaced out a bit so you get all the best horses competing in all the races.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Perhaps I should clarify: Currently, I believe that in order to run any leg of the Triple Crown, a horse has to have gained enough points from previous races, prior to the Kentucky Derby. However, that doesn't mean they have to run all the races.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:25 pm

classB4ever wrote:For anyone that paid attention to California Chrome and their bid for the Triple Crown: Do you agree with the existing rule that the horses running do not have to participate in all 3 events for the Triple Crown?

No they shouldn't have to run all three races. If you win the Kentucky Derby and end up nursing a minor injury that takes them out of the Belmont they shouldn't automatically be disqualified from running in the Belmont.

edit: or if you're nursing an injury and miss the Kentucky Derby that shouldn't disqualify you from the last two legs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:51 pm

No they shouldn't have to run them all. The Triple Crown isn't an actual thing. It's like a Grand Slam in golf. These are 3 separate races. The Belmont is longer than the other two and that's a big reason why this never happens. We see a horse win the first two a lot but not all 3.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things