BCS National Title Game

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Ming01 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:20 pm

As we all saw last night with L'Ville beating number 3 WVA.  The big question is, who will be the number 2 making it to play either OSU or Michigan?  Does a one loss SEC team deserve to play over Lousville if they finish undefeated or if Rutgers defeats L'Ville and they finish undefeated do they deserve to play?  Or if Michigan or OSU is a close game will one of those teams deserve to play each other again?  What's everyones output on this?  Lets see everyones thoughts and opinions on who deserves to be there and why.  Theres still a lot of questions too be answered...
Last edited by Ming01 on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:35 pm

If Ville or Rutgers go undefeated and them and Ohio State and Michigan are undefeated I have no prob with one of those two teams playing for National title. Right now the big East has three teams in the top 15 so its not like its only one good team like Boise state in the WAC who is also undefeated.

Then with the SEC and all the teams with one loss who do ya take?? Auburn?? Florida?? Tennessee?? Arkansas?? who would deserve it?? Auburn beat florida, Arkansas beat Auburn. Arkansas only loss to USC, Tennessee lost to Florida. As or right now none of them deserve it more then any of the other SEC team. You also have Notre Dame, USC, Texas with one loss Notre Dame and USC play last game of year which will drop one of them.

But if Rutgers or Louisville are undefeated at end of year let them play for the national championship.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:06 am

ndfan wrote:If Ville or Rutgers go undefeated and them and Ohio State and Michigan are undefeated I have no prob with one of those two teams playing for National title. Right now the big East has three teams in the top 15 so its not like its only one good team like Boise state in the WAC who is also undefeated.

Then with the SEC and all the teams with one loss who do ya take?? Auburn?? Florida?? Tennessee?? Arkansas?? who would deserve it?? Auburn beat florida, Arkansas beat Auburn. Arkansas only loss to USC, Tennessee lost to Florida. As or right now none of them deserve it more then any of the other SEC team. You also have Notre Dame, USC, Texas with one loss Notre Dame and USC play last game of year which will drop one of them.

But if Rutgers or Louisville are undefeated at end of year let them play for the national championship.

Well whoever takes the SEC championship.  Say if Florida wins out, which they should, and go on to win the SEC thats another quality opponent for them to add which will help them. Right now Florida is 4th in the BCS and it's because of their strength of schedule.  It's all about numbers. In its eight games this year, Florida has faced four teams in the top 25 nationally in total defense, the most of any top-10 team.  The top five teams in the AP poll (Ohio State, Michigan, West Virginia, Texas and Louisville) have faced a combined total of four top-25 defenses heading into this week's games -- or the same amount the Gators have faced individually.  I am a Gators and SEC fan so I would obviously be happy if they got to play in the BCS Title Game, but right now I think L'Ville or Rutgers, whoever finishes undefeated deserves to play in the title game over a one loss team no matter who it is.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:07 am

I feel if a team goes undefeated they are not bad and if it is 2 teams undefeated regardless of what league or division the 2 undefeated should play because there is no reason for a team to go undefaeted the whole season as well as the playoffs only to play in like the orange or tostedos bowl the undefeated team should be national champs and if two play in the natl champ game one will still be undefeated crown them
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:12 pm

Auburn, Louisville, Texas, and Cal all lose today, which will make things interesting the next few weeks.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:44 pm

my opinion is that no matter what happens Rutgers will not play in the national title game.  if they do finish undefeated, they will play in a bowl game, they just dont have enough credibility as of this year to play OSA-Michigan-USC-Florida-Arkansas for a national championship.  if they go undefeated next year, maybe they will get a chance but as of right now they are a 1 hit wonder. 
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:02 am

Look what makes college BB so exciting come March. The opportunity for a "cinderella" team to make some noise and get to the big dance. Imagine playing on that Rutgers team and going undefeated and not having an opportunity to play for a national championship. Maybe they don't have the credibility or the best players or the national attention, but those guys worked their tails off to do what they had to do.  It all comes down to this for the BCS. MONEY. Having an OSU-Florida championship will make way more money than a OSU-Rutgers game. Bottom line, the BCS isn't set up to allow an obscure team from getting to the national championship. Another prime example. Year in and year out Boise State rolls through their conference, yet never gets a look by the BCS. Even if Rutgers goes undefeated next year, the powers that be won't let them in. That is why college bb is so much more exciting. Can you imagine a playoff system this year?? How great would that be. Just my two cents.
ndfbfan

Postby Notorious » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:15 am

USC v. Ohio State
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:56 am

I am not that big of a fan for a playoff, but I wouldnt mind seeing taking the top 4 teams having 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 and the winners playing for the title.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:48 am

ndfbfan wrote:Look what makes college BB so exciting come March. The opportunity for a "cinderella" team to make some noise and get to the big dance. Imagine playing on that Rutgers team and going undefeated and not having an opportunity to play for a national championship. Maybe they don't have the credibility or the best players or the national attention, but those guys worked their tails off to do what they had to do.  It all comes down to this for the BCS. MONEY. Having an OSU-Florida championship will make way more money than a OSU-Rutgers game. Bottom line, the BCS isn't set up to allow an obscure team from getting to the national championship. Another prime example. Year in and year out Boise State rolls through their conference, yet never gets a look by the BCS. Even if Rutgers goes undefeated next year, the powers that be won't let them in. That is why college bb is so much more exciting. Can you imagine a playoff system this year?? How great would that be. Just my two cents.

playoffs are so much easier in bb because a 64 team tournament can take only 3 weeks and it woudl take 3 weeks for an 8 team playoff is football.  my opinion is thats the only reason they wont go to a playoff is that they dont want to be playing to mid-feruary-march.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:56 am

you are right. i agree. however, what would be wrong with an 8 team playoff?? that would take 3 weeks. if you would start the second to last week in december, you could be finished at the same time they do now. i know it probably isn't the answer, but it is a start to the solution.
ndfbfan

Postby ndfan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:37 pm

I'd like to see the 8 game playoff system. You can still have all those little bowl games for the rest of the teams that don't make it. Keep the BCS standings and take the top 8 teams in the BCS. If it ended today you would have:

Ohio State
Michigan
USC
Florida
Notre Dame
Rutgers
Arkansas
West Virginia

Then you could give the teams like Rutgers and WV who people say don't play anyone tough a chance to prove they can play with the best. All 8 of those teams could make a case to play for the championship. I think you could get a lot of real good games with these teams. Well at least I think it would be fun to see these teams play. You could also get these in by early january.
Last edited by ndfan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saas25 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:36 pm

The only way Rutgers makes it into the title game is 1) If USC loses to Cal this week 2) Florida loses one more game  3) If USC would beat Notre Dame, this is assuming that Rutgers wins out but they could lose to possibly Pitt and a good chance against West Virgina.    My pick for the national title game now that Texas lost again, is Michigan vs Notre Dame.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:48 pm

its going to be ohio state vs. florida
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:56 pm

Personally, Michigan doesnt deserve to play in the national championship. If you dont win your conference you shouldnt be allowed to play in the title game. I am not saying this because it's michigan or that I am a gator fan, the bcs should implement this rule. I remember complaining about this as well when OU and Nebraska made the title game without winning their conference! It is really a shame.

Any thoughts on this or arguments?
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:26 pm

ndfan wrote:I'd like to see the 8 game playoff system. You can still have all those little bowl games for the rest of the teams that don't make it. Keep the BCS standings and take the top 8 teams in the BCS. If it ended today you would have:

Ohio State
Michigan
USC
Florida
Notre Dame
Rutgers
Arkansas
West Virginia

Then you could give the teams like Rutgers and WV who people say don't play anyone tough a chance to prove they can play with the best. All 8 of those teams could make a case to play for the championship. I think you could get a lot of real good games with these teams. Well at least I think it would be fun to see these teams play. You could also get these in by early january.

Having the 8 team playoff would take away the one thing the college football cares about and thats MONEY.  The other bowl games wouldnt draw any attention or exposure if the playoff was being played at the same time. problems would be 1) To maximize the profit they would have to start when the other games are done so they wouldnt get started til january. 2) if they started the bowl games earlier to finish on time its not fair to the teams/players who didnt make bowl games because it would be taking games away from them to possible get exposure to NFL scouts.  This is why i believe there will never be a playoff in college football no matter how many people want it.
Last edited by baseball on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsperson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:01 pm

In response to Ming's comment, I thought that the national championship was supposed to be between the nation's two best teams, even if those two teams are in the same conference.  If you don't win your conference because you lose to the #1 in the nation you can still be the second best team.  That said, I think that even though Michigan lost to Ohio State I still believe they are second best team in the nation.  I also think that a team that has one loss on the season to the #1 team in the nation deserves a little more credit than a team like USC with one loss to an unrated team such as Oregon State.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:40 pm

as of right now, if Michigan runs the table it will be a rematch for the title...OSU-Michigan still 1-2 in the BCS polls.  USC at 3 but i have the feeling they will lose at least one of the remaing games against Notre Dame and UCLA
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Michigan's seasons is done.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:11 pm

then y are the 2 in the BCS polls...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:12 pm

then why are they 2 in the BCS polls...there is no argueing they are the 2nd best team in the nation
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:11 pm

baseball wrote:then why are they 2 in the BCS polls...there is no argueing they are the 2nd best team in the nation

? What?   Their season is over.  They have no regular season games left.  You said if they run the table they will be in the title game...and they have no games left, so they cant run the table.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:33 pm

my mistake....by that i thought you meant they have no chance at the title....my mistake
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:34 pm

its aight, not that big of a deal anyways...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby DeuceTrey » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:33 pm

looks like its going to be ohio state vs. usc, assuming usc can beat ucla. if they dont, it will probably be a rematch of a couple weeks ago, unless florida blows out whoever they play in the sec championship game, which his highly unlikely.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things