NBA

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby Ming01 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:29 pm

The season started last night but I believe every team plays tonight.  Does anyone care?  Will any of you watch?

I would also like to see some thoughts and opinions and possibly even predictions for the season. 
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:33 pm

i don't like the nba.

that said, i'd watch lebron or the suns...they are fun to watch, or were last year.

i don't like the early season of the nba especially...gimmie playoff basketball anyday.
rep

Postby baseball » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:35 pm

the only NBA i watch is if Wade or LeBron play. always fun watching them, the way they took over the playoffs last year was amazing.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballplayer15 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:04 pm

Tim Duncan is my man spurs all the way
ballplayer15

Postby bballer2 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:26 pm

i dont know i guess im just a fan of basketball here... i know some people just hate it but i mean come on they are the best players in the game and some people think they just play for the money but i dont think thats always true... some guys do ya... but there are a lot that just play cuz the y love the game... i love the nba but ya college is better...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:51 pm

thenextbigthing wrote:Tim Duncan is my man spurs all the way

Spurs fan here too.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 pm

wut do u think of amares come back so far very good first half so far

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:57 pm

I've been a big Shaq fan since I was a little kid, They had rough one against baby Bulls last night. But the whole ring ceremony and raising the banner I think they had their minds on other things. But the Heat are made to make a run in the playoffs not to win 60 or 70 games. I'm picking the Heat to repeat.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:42 am

Matt Freije has ties to ND...gotta root for him. Anyword on where Jerome Beasley is now?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby da bullz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:20 am

You've got to love the Bulls man.  Even though they struggled last night against orlando, they man handled the Heat and they play the game the way it should be played.  They get up and down the court, play defense, and don't complain like all of the other babies in the NBA.
da bullz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LiveTheLife... For The Lo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:05 pm

[url=/users/436.html]da bullz[/url] wrote:
You've got to love the Bulls man.  Even though they struggled last night against orlando, they man handled the Heat and they play the game the way it should be played.  They get up and down the court, play defense, and don't complain like all of the other babies in the NBA.

Bulls are the only team i will watch. They play D and actually get good shots.
LiveTheLife... For The Lo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nd-ball41 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:55 pm

I am starting to get sick of all of these technical fouls being called with the new rule in place or actually being enforced....but I am a Mavericks fan for life dude.  Go Dirk!!!
Last edited by nd-ball41 on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nd-ball41

Postby project-pat » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:10 pm

Im a HUGE lakers fan. I love watching them play, even without kobe (2-0 by the way) Kobe is absolutely the most dominating player in the game. He is absolutely sensational. Who else could just get out of court, drive to the game immediately after court, then DROP 42 IN YOUR GRILL. Nobody but kobe, he is the meaning of basketball. And so what if he doesnt pass the ball much, look what happens when he does pass. I'm also a big Chauncey billups supporter.
project-pat

Postby rep » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:39 pm

project-pat wrote:Who else could just get out of court, drive to the game immediately after court, then DROP 42 IN YOUR GRILL. Nobody but kobe, he is the meaning of basketball.

sadly that is the nba, to me anyway
rep

Postby da bullz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Sorry, but I'm not a big Kobe fan.  He gave up on his teammates last year in the postseason against phoenix.  Before that I like him.  He is the best player in the league but tries to make statements by not playing and does it at the wrong time.
da bullz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:50 pm

How did he give up on his teammates?
project-pat

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:53 pm

da bullz wrote:Sorry, but I'm not a big Kobe fan.  He gave up on his teammates last year in the postseason against phoenix.  Before that I like him.  He is the best player in the league but tries to make statements by not playing and does it at the wrong time.

he led his team to the playoffs single handed.  a team like phoenix would beat anyone who only has 1 player.  give kobe another player besides Odom and i like his chances at winning another title.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:01 pm

[user=508]baseball[/user] wrote:
he led his team to the playoffs single handed.  a team like phoenix would beat anyone who only has 1 player.  give kobe another player besides Odom and i like his chances at winning another title.

[line]

yeah i like this guy. If you give kobe one more playmaker, like Chauncey Billups for example, they could go all the way. Kobe is doing the best he can to deliver his teammates a championship. He's working best with what he's got, and they got something good this year. so watch out.
project-pat

Postby rep » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:17 am

this might be the last straw with me and the nba

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2682848

Union gets on ball, files unfair labor practice charges
NEW YORK -- The players' association filed two unfair labor practice charges Friday against the NBA over issues with the new ball and the league's crackdown on player complaints.

The charges were filed with the National Labor Relations Board.

"I think that's right within the NBA's wheelhouse," Dallas owner Mark Cuban said. "They say the NBA stands for `Nothing But Attorneys,' so we're going to be great at dealing with those issues."

A number of players publicly have complained about changing the ball from leather to a microfiber composite. Although players are adjusting to the new ball, they're having a much harder time with the crackdown on reactions after the whistle, often referred to as a "zero-tolerance policy."

NBA commissioner David Stern enacted the policy, saying players were reacting too strongly after calls, and it has led to an increase in technical fouls called this season.

"It takes away from your natural reaction, the things that make basketball what it is," said Jerry Stackhouse, the Mavericks' player representative. "You think Bill Bradley never hit the support after he was called for a foul? That's the model citizen of all former NBA players. It's just a natural thing to do."

With players fined for each technical they receive, union director Billy Hunter told The Associated Press last month that legal action could be the next step if Stern didn't tell the referees to "back off."

There have been 175 unsportsmanlike technicals called through 225 games this season. There were 120 through the same number of games last season, though the number is on par with the amount from two years ago.

"Our obligation to represent our membership dictates the filing of these actions," Hunter said in a statement. "There is virtual unanimity amongst the players about their concerns and intense dislike for the new synthetic ball and the 'zero tolerance' policy.

"After extensive consultation with our membership and player leadership we determined that this was the appropriate course of action."

Some players still seem most upset about the first change to the game ball in more than 35 years.

"Honestly, it gets to a point where, you can change the way our shorts are, you know, you can change if our wristbands are too high, you can change the dress code," LeBron James said. "That's something that's controllable. But when it gets to the point where you change the basketball which, this is what we use every single day. Every single day, every single minute, 82 games. Plus preseason, plus playoffs. It just kind of didn't make sense.

"The only thing that we love the most is the basketball. That's your comfort. I mean, without your basketball, it doesn't work. That was my biggest problem, was, why would you change something that means so much to us? It didn't make sense to me at all."

Added Seattle's Ray Allen, one of the NBA's best shooters: "Every guy I've talked to, to a man, is in disagreement about the ball. The bottom line is we're out there playing and the ball is not going in like we know we're capable of putting it in, or like we've done in the past."

NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre said the league was "reviewing what they have filed."

The players feel they were entitled to have input on both changes before they were put into play. In its release, the union said the "zero-tolerance policy" was implemented without any consultation or advanced notice as required "according to the terms of the National Labor Relations Act and the 2005 NBA/NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement."

"You never want to feel that the NBA's a dictatorship," Wizards veteran Antonio Daniels said.

The section of the CBA regarding On-Court Conduct, states, in part:

"Prior to the date on which any new rule promulgated by the NBA becomes effective, the NBA shall provide notice of such new rule to the Players Association and consult with the Players Association with respect thereto."

The crackdown isn't a new rule, however, but rather a point of emphasis. Under Stern's directive, players are fined $1,000 for each of their first five technicals. The fine increases by $500 for each five after that, capped by a $2,500 penalty for each one starting with the 16th. A one-game suspension also comes at that point and for every other technical thereafter.

"To give a technical foul, it's giving money back," Stackhouse said. "If it's a technical foul, all right, penalize the team. But don't take guys' money for natural reactions toward heat of the moment things. We're not robots. They would say they don't want us to become robots, but that's what it's becoming.

"Everything doesn't have to be we're going to show you by taking your money away. A thousand dollars is a thousand dollars, no matter whether you are making $9 million or $30,000."

Players also argue they weren't involved in the decision to use a new ball. The league unveiled it in June and sent one to its teams and all players before the start of training camp. It also was used in the All-Star game and during summer league play.

Superstars such as Shaquille O'Neal and James are among those who have blasted it, and many others have complained that it feels and performs far differently than the old leather ball, criticizing the way it bounces off the floor and the rim.

"I was surprised when they announced that they were changing the ball," Sacramento's Shareef Abdur-Rahim. "That shouldn't happen without some input from the players. I've never cared for the new ball, and I'm a big guy. When ballhandlers like Steve Nash and Jason Kidd are complaining about it, that says a lot."
rep

Postby ballplayer15 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:54 pm

i hate goerge stern period
ballplayer15

Postby baseball » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:58 pm

thenextbigthing wrote:i hate goerge stern period

atleast ya got Stern right.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ballplayer15 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:54 pm

david stern my fault thinkin of something else
ballplayer15

Postby southsiders » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:39 pm

The NBA is just a bunch of whiners, i cant stand to watch it.  College basketball is so much better to watch because they actually play to win and play with pride and heart.  The NBA used to be alright, but its gotten so bad, i just cant watch.
southsiders
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:21 pm

If it wasnt for fantasy basketball, I would not care for the NBA or have any reason to pay attention to it at all.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:28 pm

anybody see that Raptor player injure his leg on that fall tonight vs the Celtics?  I can't remember his name but man that was disgusting... one of the most painful injuries i've seen
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things