Too Many Games? (NBA, MLB, NHL)

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Too Many Games? (NBA, MLB, NHL)

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 am

IMO, 3 of the big 4 professional sports could learn from the NFL and become more profitable by reducing the number of games played in a season. Currently, they play: MLB - 162, NBA - 82, NHL - 82. Think they could cut each of these in half. The reasoning would be:

1. Keep the fans "hungrier" to watch. Might even be able to fill stadiums & arenas once in a while.
2. Keep the athletes healthier. Fans want to watch good games with "the stars" playing each night.
3. Reduce overhead.

Why do they insist on playing so many games? Is it purely history? Thoughts.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Re: Too Many Games? (NBA, MLB, NHL)

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed May 22, 2013 11:08 am

I think MLB is way too much, but they fill the stadiums for that many games so I don't see anyone ever changing it. I think NBA is about right, but Hockey is too long. Cut it down to about 60. Stupid to have hockey playoffs in June. I also think the 16 game NFL season will be extended to 18 in the next five years. They are making too much money now and will only be hungrier for more if the game continues to grow.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think MLB is way too much, but they fill the stadiums for that many games so I don't see anyone ever changing it. I think NBA is about right, but Hockey is too long. Cut it down to about 60. Stupid to have hockey playoffs in June. I also think the 16 game NFL season will be extended to 18 in the next five years. They are making too much money now and will only be hungrier for more if the game continues to grow.

Was under the impression that many games have very few fans at them. In watching highlights, it appears there are just a sprinkling of fans at many, many afternoon games. Even in the large cities as Chicago, New York, and Boston most games have more empty seats then full.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Boston just broke a streak of 10+ years of consecutive sellouts. Many clubs are breaking attendance records each year.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Good point. Never thought of the fact just because there are some empty seats, doesn't mean the place isn't sold out with season ticket holders, corporate deals, etc.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Thu May 23, 2013 12:12 pm

It's all about money. If MLB, NHL, or NBA ever feels the need to reduce the schedule to increase overall attendance, they will do it. Until that point is reached, they won't.

I do agree that football is so exciting because of the buildup throughout the week to that one game per week on Sunday (or Monday, or Thursday). The other 3 majors don't have that type of buildup because they are playing 3-7 games a week.

Football is America's game because it is such a buildup to the event each week. However, baseball is still America's pass-time because you can go to the park or tune in the TV every day and pass a few hours watching a baseball game.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 pm

I wish the MLB would cut down to around 100 games. Fans would be more interested. But, they never will because it is such a game of statistics and that would ruin records.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu May 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Hinsa wrote:It's all about money. If MLB, NHL, or NBA ever feels the need to reduce the schedule to increase overall attendance, they will do it. Until that point is reached, they won't.

I do agree that football is so exciting because of the buildup throughout the week to that one game per week on Sunday (or Monday, or Thursday). The other 3 majors don't have that type of buildup because they are playing 3-7 games a week.

Football is America's game because it is such a buildup to the event each week. However, baseball is still America's pass-time because you can go to the park or tune in the TV every day and pass a few hours watching a baseball game.

Exactly this.

Indy5 wrote:I wish the MLB would cut down to around 100 games. Fans would be more interested. But, they never will because it is such a game of statistics and that would ruin records.

Not really. If more money could be made in a 100 game schedule they would have a 100 game schedule.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm totally fine with the number of games....Playing Pools, Betting, fantasy leagues, make the seasons zoom by faster..... plus they make way more than I do and I have to work 365...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:17 am

My problem is this: Each of these leagues have went through labor/management situations in the recent past. Other then the NFL, there have been some serious financial situations brought to light. At some point the bubble is going to break and financially they will not be able to support themselves. Athletes and owners cannot continue to demand more money while the fans pick up the tab by either paying higher ticket/game prices or buying highly inflated merchandise endorsed by the league and athletes. The Roman Empire was laden with coliseums and gladiators before it fell. So I will pose some questions:

1. What do you think the ratio of corporate spending to fan spending is for any given league?
2. What percentage of income is gate sales/attendance?
3. Taking the concussion epidemic into consideration, which of the big 4 (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) is in the worst "financial" trouble for the long run? (Edited this as it wasn't worded properly). IMO, although the NFL right now is very lucrative, the concussion epidemic is going to change the entire landscape of football in the future, starting at the high school level and then all the way up through the ranks.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

I don't know 1 and 2, but 3 is definitely the NFL over the NBA and MLB. I don't watch hockey, but I'm pretty sure there are still more concussions in the NFL.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things