Weis on 60 Minutes

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Postby rep » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:29 pm

while i normally don't care for 60 Minutes, this has the potential to be interesting. i doubt i'll get a chance to see it, but if anyone else catches it, let me know the highlights.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/26/60minutes/main2126629.shtml

Charlie Weis On Parcells' Verbal Abuse

Steve Kroft Profiles Notre Dame's Head Coach
(CBS) Once on the receiving end of a head coach's invective, Notre Dame's football coach, Charlie Weis, sure knows how to dish it out himself.

Weis recalls the abuse he took from Bill Parcells when he served under him with the New York Giants and explains why his own coaching style is often R-rated in a Steve Kroft report that airs on 60 Minutes this Sunday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Parcells hammered him the first time he offered advice at a coaches meeting, says Weis. "[Parcells] looks down at the end of the table with his scowl. Says 'You have been in the league for five minutes. No one cares what you think, so just sit there and shut up,'" Weis remembers Parcells saying.

The self-described "obnoxious, sarcastic guy from New Jersey" acknowledges that he was once Parcells' whipping boy. "I was it," he tells Kroft with a laugh. "I mean, there was no doubt. The hammer is coming out and it's being swung and swung hard."

"And now you're giving it?" asks Kroft.

"Yeah … it's nice to be on the delivering end rather than the receiving end," Weis says with a laugh. He allowed 60 Minutes unique access to wire him for sound for two home games while he coached on the sidelines.

Being on the receiving end of Weis' ire is no fun â€â€
rep

Postby point/center » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:23 pm

I never saw this, but really wonder why if you had the choice you'd play for him vs a coach like Jim Tressel or Lloyd Carr?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 pm

You think either of them are kinder and gentler?  I would guess they are harsher, thus no sideline mic with those guys.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballfan_05 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:45 pm

point/center wrote:I never saw this, but really wonder why if you had the choice you'd play for him vs a coach like Jim Tressel or Lloyd Carr?
My guess would be to play for Norte Dame, and all the glory that goes with that. Sometime, coaches that are hard on their players, bring out the best in them.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Notre Dame, Brady Quinn, and Coach Weiss are probably the three most overrated things in College football this year.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:52 pm

ndfan wrote:Notre Dame, Brady Quinn, and Coach Weiss are probably the three most overrated things in College football this year.
Possibly, but didn't they have one if not the toughest schedule in college football this year.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:25 am

[user=1615]bballfan_05[/user] wrote:
ndfan wrote:Notre Dame, Brady Quinn, and Coach Weiss are probably the three most overrated things in College football this year.
Possibly, but didn't they have one if not the toughest schedule in college football this year.

No they didn't have the toughest schedule in the country, not even close. They have lost 9 straight bowl games. They've been blown out in the big ones LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon. But some how each year they keep getting hyped up. Quinn has yet to win a big game, yeah he has all the tools but he won't be a good pro qb in my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:32 am

ndfan wrote:[user=1615]bballfan_05[/user] wrote:

No they didn't have the toughest schedule in the country, not even close. They have lost 9 straight bowl games. They've been blown out in the big ones LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon. But some how each year they keep getting hyped up. Quinn has yet to win a big game, yeah he has all the tools but he won't be a good pro qb in my opinion.

Quinn will be a great quarterback in the pros because he had Weiss for a coach. Remember Weiss was with the Patriots before taking the ND job. As for the schedule, how can you argue that they didn't play a tough schedule.

09/02
at Ga Tech
14-10

09/09
#19 Penn State
41-17

09/16
#11 Michigan
47-21

09/23
at Mich St
40-37

09/30
Purdue
35-21

10/07
Stanford
31-10

10/21
UCLA
20-17

10/28
at Navy
38-14

11/04
UNC
45-26

11/11
at Air Force
39-17

11/18
Army
41-9

11/25
at #3 USC
44-24

01/03
vs #4 LSU
41-14
Yes, Quinn had a terrible bowl game, but what look at his stats after the game. 37TDs, 7INT's which 2 of which came in the LSU game, completion percentage around 63%.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:52 am

ND opponents had a combined .500 winning percentage.  That does not equate to a tough schedule.  They played four good teams.  They got thumped by three of them and barely won the fourth.

What was Weiss in charge of at New England?  I can't recall.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:23 am

He was the offensive coordinator.

I like Charlie, I will be interesting what he does with his own recruiting classes. 

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things